Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 11

Combustion of Ethane

2C2H6+ 7O2 4CO2+ 6H2O

Compound/Molecules involved

Ethane

! ! ! !

C2 H6 is ethane. covalent (nonpolar) and hazardous -can cause headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, and can cause suffocation from lack of oxygen. -highly flammable gas and dangerous fire hazard liquid ethane can cause frostbite. ethane should be stored in tightly closed containers in cool well-ventilated areas. store in less than 125 degrees there should be no sources of ignition when handling.

Oxygen

! ! !

O2 is dioxygen. covalent (nonpolar) can be found in the earths crust. It also makes up 21% of the earths atmosphere in its purest form, it is used in many important chemicals

Carbon Dioxide

! ! ! ! ! !

CO2 is carbon dioxide. covalent (nonpolar) and can be hazardous naturally present in the air we breathe not harmful to health in low concentrations high concentrations may be harmful as it can cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, and loss of consciousness. when handling, you should wear gloves and glasses and cover your skin. liquid or solid carbon dioxide should not be put in sealed

Water

! ! ! !

H2O is water. Covalent (nonpolar) can be found practically anywhere. the ocean holds 97% of the earths water. The other 3% is fresh water that is found in glaciers and ice, below the ground, or in rivers and lakes. used to clean, hydrate, cook, etc.

Word Equation
Ethane + Oxygen Water Carbon Dioxide +

Balanced Chemical Equation


2C2H6+ 7O2
gas gas gas

4CO2+ 6H2O

liquid : state of matter

-This balance equations contains 4 carbon, 12 hydrogen, and 14 oxygen atoms on each side. -law of conservation of mass relates to the balanced chemical equation because in the balanced chemical equation, you are not creating or destroying anything.

Description of overall reaction


The combustion of ethane is exothermic which means it gives off heat.

Citations
"General Hazards of Carbon Dioxide." General Hazards of Carbon Dioxide. Health and Safety Executive, n.d. Web. 25 Jan. 2014. <http:// www.hse.gov.uk/carboncapture/carbondioxide.htm>. "Hazardous Substance Fact Sheet." Nj.gov. N.p., June 2003. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. <http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0834.pdf>. "The Law of Conservation of Mass." The Law of Conservation of Mass. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. <https://www.etap.org/demo/grade8_science/ lesson5/instruction1tutor.html>. "Oxygen Facts - Air, Gas, Atom, Uses, Properties, Water, Ozone, Element O, Mask." Oxygen Facts - Air, Gas, Atom, Uses, Properties, Water, Ozone, Element O, Mask. Science Kids, Jan. 2013. Web. 25 Jan. 2014. <http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/chemistry/oxygen.html>. "Praxair - Safety Precautions for Carbon Dioxide." Praxair - Safety Precautions for Carbon Dioxide. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Jan. 2014. <http:// catalogs.praxairdirect.com/i/27114/27>. "Write a Balanced Equation for the Combustion of Ethane, C2H6?" Write a Balanced Equation for the Combustion of Ethane, C2H6? N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Jan. 2014. <http://www.funqa.com/chemistry/3073-1-chemistry-2.html>