You are on page 1of 3

Michael McCabe

Professor Reilly
EDUC 359
2 December 2014
SIOP Live Lesson Reflection

Our language objectives were that our students will construct examples of poetry
and read aloud their creative writing pieces that emphasize the new poetic elements. Our
content objective was that students will be able to identify poetry terms in the provided
poems. I do believe that we achieved our objectives because each one was easily
measurable. For instance, Lauren and I were able to see Taralyn construct poetry and
practice her speaking skills by reading the poems out loud. Additionally, we observed
Taralyn identify the different elements of poetry multiple times throughout the lesson.
Because all of our objectives were direct, specific, and measurable, we know that we
were successful in achieving our objectives.
I feel that Lauren and I did a pretty decent job in challenging Taralyns
vocabulary development. We began by activating prior knowledge through the words
simile and metaphor before beginning the new vocabulary. One challenge we
encountered was that she did mention to us that she had previously learned some of our
terms (alliteration and personification) a few days earlier in her regular class. So
although we were not necessarily introducing her to that vocabulary, we still helped her
develop her understanding of those words through increased exposure and guided
practice. We did challenge her by introducing her to the word hyperbole. We know
that we challenged her because it took her a little bit longer to master the definition and
concept of that word over the others. However, after some practice and assistance,

Tarayln was able to properly define and use hyperbole in her writing. Because of this, we
were successful in challenging her vocabulary development.
I think one element of our lesson that was too easy was the identification section,
where students read a brief poem and had to identify which poetic element is used.
While the activity itself worked great, I think it could have improved by adding more
elements or poems into the activity. Taralyn flew through each of our examples, which
told Lauren and I that they were too easy. Other than that, I believe all of our other
activities were at an appropriate difficulty level. All of the parts of the lesson worked the
way we intended them too, but I do think we couldve slightly modified the PowerPoint
to make it more interactive and exciting for our students. The biggest adjustment I would
make would be to add one or two more key vocabulary terms because Taralyn mastered
ours rather quickly. I dont think this would necessarily be the case with English
Language Learners, since they would probably need more time to understand the
vocabulary, but adding more terms could be a modification for our more advanced
learners.
I think the biggest change I would make to this lesson would be the pace. Rather
than making this a 30-minute lesson, I think I would spend a longer time and possibly
even an extra day on this material. For instance, I would take more time to cover simile
and metaphor instead of making that a review section. I would also provide more
concrete examples for each poetic element. I would try to slow my speech more and do
constant checks for understanding. I would also try to utilize more visuals and graphic
organizers to help my ELL students comprehend the information. Finally, I would need
to adapt my extension activity of writing a poem on their own. I think I would modify

the instructions so that they only had to include one poetic element. Additionally, I
would be monitoring his/her progress more frequently and offering help when needed.
By making these necessary changes and modifications, I believe that I could make this
lesson successful for an ELL student.