Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 5

1. Here is a set of data: 14, 8, 10, 7, 6. (a) Find the mean. (b) Find the median.

(c) Find the sample variance.

2. Suppose that the Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of students who drink five beers varies from student to student according to a normal distribution with mean 0.07 and standard deviation 0.01. (a) The middle 95% of students who drink five beers have BAC between values A and B. Find A and B. (b) What percent of students who drink five beers have BAC above 0.08?

3. For a normal distribution with mean 20 and standard deviation 5, approximately what percent of the observations will be between 8 and 32?

4(a) - (b) Fill in the missing information for regression models in the table below ^ r sx sy x y y = bo + b1 x (a) 5 2 10 3 0.6 ? ^ (b) 3 1 ? ? -0.9 y = 10 4 x

5. Consider an experiment with a fair die. (a) Describe the sample space (b) Find the probability that the die turns up an even number. (c) Find the probability that the die turns up less than 5.

6. The distribution of the number of children per household for households receiving aid to dependent children (ADC) in a large city is as follows: 5% of the ADC households have 1 child, 25% have 2 children, 30% have 3 children, 25% have 4 children, and the rest have 5 children. (a) Find the mean number of children per ADC household in this city. (b) Find the standard deviation of the number of children per ADC household.

7. A basketball player makes 80% of his free throws. Find the probability that the first free throw that he makes is on the third try (consider all throws to be independent). i.e. find the probability that he misses his first two throws and makes the third one.

8. (a) Let A and B be two events, such that P(A)=0.3, P(B)=0.2. Find P(A U B) if it is known that A and B are independent (show all work). (b) Let A and B be two events, such that P(A U B)=0.6, P(A)=0.2, P(B)=0.5; check if A and B are independent (show all work).

9. A random sample of size n=100 is obtained from a population with a proportion p=0.52
^

(a) (b)

What is the sampling distribution for the sample proportion p ?


^

Calculate P( p > 0.54)

10. In a random sample of 1000 Romans, 532 people wanted Julius Caesars resignation. Calculate 95% confidence interval on p0, true proportion of Romans who wanted Caesars resignation.

11. A vaccine has a 90% probability of being effective in preventing a certain disease (i.e. there is only 10% chance to contract a disease given the fact that a person has been vaccinated). The probability of getting the disease if a person is not vaccinated is 60%. In a certain region, 50% of the population gets vaccinated. If person is selected at random, find the probability that he or she will contract the disease.

12. (a) (b) (c) (d) If P(A) = .50, P(B) = .70, and P ( A B ) = .40, then P ( A B ) =__________. If P(A) = .70, P(B) = .60, and P ( A B ) = .90, then P ( A B ) = __________. If P(A) = .35, P(B) = .50 and P ( A B ) = .20, then P(A/B) is __________. If P(A) =.60, P(B) = .40, and events A and B are independent, then P(A/B) is __________.

13. A utility company offers a lifeline rate to any household whose electricity usage falls below 240 kWh during a particular month. Let A denote the event that a randomly selected household in a certain community does not exceed the lifeline usage during January, and let B be the analogous event for the month of July (A and B refer to the same household). Suppose P(A) = .8, P(B) = .7, and P(A B) = .9. Compute the following: a. P(A B). b. The probability that the lifeline usage amount is exceeded in exactly one of the two months. Describe this event in terms of A and B.

14. Answer the following two questions: a. If a constant c is added to each xi in a sample, yielding yi = xi + c, how do the sample mean and median of the yi s relate to the mean and median of the xi s? Verify your conjectures. b. If each xi is multiplied by a constant c, yielding yi = cxi , answer the question of part (a). Again, verify your conjectures. 15. At a certain gas station, 40% of the customers use regular unleaded gas ( A1 ), 35% use extra unleaded gas ( A2 ), and 25% use premium unleaded gas ( A3 ). Of those customers using regular gas, only 30% fill their tanks (event B). Of those customers using extra gas, 60% fill their tanks, whereas of those using premium, 50% fill their tanks. a. What is the probability that the next customer will request extra unleaded gas and fill the tank? b. What is the probability that the next customer fills the tank?

16. The probability distribution for X = the number of major defects on a randomly selected gas stove of a certain type is
x P(x)

0 .10

1 .15

2 .45

3 .25

4 .05

Compute the following: a. E(X) b. V(X) directly from the definition c The standard deviation of X 17. (a) Based on the Normal model N(80, 10), what is the cutoff value for the lowest 10% ? (b) If it is known that for the Normal model = 1200 and 30% of the distribution is below 1100, find . (c) If it is known that for the Normal model = 10 and 80% of the distribution is above 20, find .
18. Consider the following information: A = {Visa Card}, B = {MasterCard}, P(A) = .5, P(B) = .4, and P(A B) = .25. Calculate each of the following probabilities. (a) P(B|A) (b) P( A |B), here A means complement to A.

(c) Given that an individual is selected at random and that he or she has at least one card, what is the probability that he or she has only a Visa card? 19. Seventy percent of all vehicles examined at a certain emissions inspection station pass the inspection. Assuming that successive vehicles pass or fail independently of one another, calculate the following probabilities. (a) P(all of the next three vehicles inspected pass) (b) P(at least one of the next three vehicles inspected fail) 20. A university library ordinarily has a complete shelf inventory done once every year. Because of new shelving rules instituted the previous year, the head librarian believes it may be possible to save money by postponing the inventory. The librarian decides to select at random 1000 books from the librarys collection and have them searched in a preliminary manner. Question: If the true proportion of misshelved and lost books is actually .01, what is the probability to observe sample proportion of 0.015 or larger when 1000 books are sampled?

Problem 11. Suppose that the proportions of blood phenotypes in a particular population are as follows: A .42 B .10 AB .04 O .44

Assuming that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals are independent of one another, (a) what is the probability that both phenotypes are O? (b) What is the probability that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals match?