Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 1

Bree Hohnbaum Chemistry 101 Lab 7/9/2012 Partner: Amy Jacobson Experiment #9: Interplay of Light and Energy

with Matter For the first part of this experiment, the instructor lit up a variety of different lights: incandescent, fluorescent, hydrogen, helium, neon, mercury, and crypton. There was a diffractometer that every student was handed. Everyone was to look at the lights, through the diffractometers when the lights were off and the instructor turned on the lights, one at a time. There was also CDs provided to every student to look at the light at a specific angle through to see the rainbow of colors. Each color had different number and colors that showed up. These are posted to the attached page. The second part of the experiment was also performed by the instructor. The overall goal was to analyze the alkali metal and alkali earth metal cations. The instructor went under the hood and had samples of potassium chloride, lithium chloride, strontium chloride, copper chloride, and cobalt chloride. Each one he put a few drops of methane on and lit them up. The flames were a variety of colors. These observations are also attached. The next part of the experiment was done at the work bench with a Bunsen burner and the flame needed to be large enough of a blue cone that the samples could be tested to see the color. There was a wire loop obtained and also a variety of samples or the elements. After each element was tested, the wire loop was to be placed in HCl and then burned over the flame for a few seconds to clear the wire loop for the next sample. The findings were: Li-magenta/red, Ca-bright orange/almost red, Cllight creamy orange, Na-bright fire-orange, Sr-hot pink/red, Br-bright creamy orange, K-salmon/lightorange, Ba-light yellow/green, I-light orange, and our unknown was bright creamy orange. From these findings, the conclusion was that the unknown was Br-. The last part of the experiment was about doing halide tests. Using a pipet, 10 drops of each sample of Cl, Br, I and an unknown were taken and put into individual test tubes. There was also 10 drops of Na we collected as our alkali earth metal. For each sample, 1 drop of 1 M nitric acid was added to each test tube and also 10 drops of hexane. An additional 2 drops of chlorine water was also added to the tubes. By shaking the tubes vigorously and flicking the bottom, the results were observed. Br tuned light/creamy orange, Cl turned yellow/white, I turned deep purple, the unknown turned light/creamy orange, and the sodium turned clear or stayed about the same. From these observations, it finalized that the unknown was indeed Bromine with an anion of 1-.