You are on page 1of 20

Inside this issue:

On The Red Warrior Path Iron Horse Festivities Unit News History of the 1-12 Infantry Coat of Arms The Life of Christopher Kit Carson

2-3 4-5 6-17 9 18-19

1 S T B AT TA L I O N 1 2 T H I N FA N T RY R E G I M E N T ( L I G H T )

Volume 2, Issue 2

The Red Warrior Path

Summer 2013 one.twelve.infantry/info

Page 2


On the Red Warrior Path by LTC Dave Voorhies

I write this article as the battalion is enjoying some welldeserved Summer Block Leave. Preceding our leave period, our unit has been running hard: Team Live-Fires Exercises, Squad Training and Live Fires, Iron-Horse Week and an administration surge to account for leave cycle -- and field time after we get back from leave. All this was done during the Brigades Red Cycle; whereby we supported 4th Infantry Division routine taskings. We also saw Bravo Company deployed to NTC as OPFOR (Opposing Force) to support 2nd Brigades NTC Rotation there. We have tasked them as the PTDO Company (Prepare To Deploy/Onward Movement) Company for next year and we took this opportunity to exercise their ability to deploy on a nonotice mission: a task CPT Yun and his Blackfoot Soldiers performed superbly. The Red Warriors are lethally certified through squad level, we exercised the PTDO mission, hosted a successful Battalion Pool Party and prepared our Soldiers and families for block leave. Lastly, 1-12 IN was recognized by the Fort Carson Garrison Commander as one of the top 3 AER contributors in the 4th Infantry Division Soldiers helping Soldiers! I am so very proud of our Soldiers and leaders to achieve excellence during this very busy and turbulent time! The next couple months will be packed with a lot of field and recovery time. The battalion will deploy to the field on 29 July to execute Operation Cheyenne Thunder: our Platoon level live-fire and certification program. The Red Warriors will conduct a Platoon Attack live fire exercise with mortars and attack aviation assets day and night. They will also qualify to shoot heavy machine guns off of MAT -V vehicles and then conduct a platoon mounted urban assault live fire. The remaining training scenario during Operation Cheyenne Thunder will be Counter IED training and an Urban Scenario Lane where our platoons will role play a Security Force conducting missions in an Afghan town. After a short break from 10 -14 August, we will redeploy to the field to execute the brigades certification program: Operation Mountain Strike. From 16 August to 27 August, the battalion will support and execute missions in a mock Afghan environment as a SECFOR and Advise and Assist Force. Companies will be trained and certified in mission command and security force assistance tasks for our upcoming National Training Center Rotation in October. The brigade will host Squared Away Training for our Military spouses: a comprehensive and self-empowering training session focused on building resilient families and informed families. For every spouse that attends this valuable training, their Soldier gets a four -day pass. The month of September will be a big Recovery month and reintegration time with families. Simultaneously, I and the brigades leadership will take a short trip to RC-South, Kandahar, Afghanistan in September to recon our future mission there. Truly a busy time for as we execute our training path. We continue to transition key leaders from Squad Leaders up to battalion level. Since the last publication, we have bid farewell to CPT Brian Sbertoli, C/1-12 IN CDR and 1SG David Ralston, B/1-12 IN 1SG. Both Comanche 6 and Blackfoot 7 were great leaders and their presence will be missed. Filling 1SG Ralstons shoes as First Sergeant is SFC Russel Odonnell and the Red Warriors welcome CPT Jason Kruck and family to the team as the new Comanche 6. Our long- serving Big XO, LTC Jim Pangelinan will be departing with Susannah to
(Continued on page 3)

For every spouse that attends this valuable [Squared Away] training, their Soldier gets a four-day pass.

THE RED WARRIOR PATH is published by 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment (Light) for the families and friends of Red Warrior Soldiers. 1-12 Infantry (L) is part of 4 IBCT, 4 ID. The battalion is currently training at Fort Carson, Colorado in preparation to support ongoing contingency operations. Contents of THE RED WARRIOR PATH are not necessarily the official view of, or endorsed by, the U.S. government or the Department of Defense. Please send all questions or comments about THE RED WARRIOR PATH to CH (CPT) A. Lamont Risner at ON THE FRONT AND BACK COVERS: SPC Darnells team from Dog Companys 4th Platoon not only won the Top Dog Competition on June 25th, they also volunteered to carry the Company Guidon for the entire event.


Page 3

On the Red Warrior Path (continued)

We are committed to training our team, enforcing Army standards, and in doing so, taking care of Soldiers and families in the process.
(Continued from page 2)

take command at Ft Benning, Georgia. MAJ Drew Conover is both excited and ready to fill Jims big shoes as the new Battalion XO. We welcome two new Master Sergeants: MSG ONeill and MSG Thomas. MSG Thomas is serving as our interim Operations SGM and 1SG ONeill will transition with 1SG Andersen in A/1-12 IN. We also welcome MAJ Mike Starz, CPT JB Brown, CPT Joe Dancur, and CPT Adam Menzel they and their

families will be key players on the team in the key battalion staff roles of Battalion S3, Battalion S4 and Battalion AS3. I hope everyone had a great leave period and enjoyed their vacations. We now get refocused on our mission through some high impact upcoming training. We are committed to training our team, enforcing Army standards, and in doing so, taking care of Soldiers and families in the process. We are focused. We are resolute. We are attacking! Led by Love of Country.

LTC Pangelinan, LTC Voorhies, and members of the 1-12 Infantry Staff pause to recover from a morning run at Cheyenne Mountain State Park.

Page 4


Iron Horse Festivities by SPC Jullian Reed

Iron Horse is a nickname for the 4th Infantry Division, adopted to underscore the speed and power of the Division... A sunny day at Fort Carson kicked off Iron Horse Week, during the month of June. 1-12 Infantry Soldiers have been steadily preparing themselves to compete in this annual event put on by the 4th Infantry Division. Iron Horse Week promotes teamwork and unity among the Soldiers, as well as improves the morale of Fort Carson Soldiers. The events occurring during this week of competition comprise various sports and tournaments ranging from flag football and sand volleyball to combatives and tug of war. Iron Horse is a nickname for the 4th Infantry Division, adopted to underscore the speed and power of the division and its Soldiers. The term Iron Horse was first use in the early 1800s when most machines were still powered by real horses. It was a complimentary term, indicating strength and power, used when comparing early road and railway engines. At one time the term Iron Horse was used to name every(Continued on page 5)


Page 5

Iron Horse Festivities (continued)

Iron Horse Week was a five day athletic competition for 1-12 Soldiers and units across Fort Carson.

(Continued from page 4)

thing from hotels to bicycle tournaments. This is evident even in the realm of sports. Lou Gehrig, a NY Yankee (during Babe Ruth's time in the 1920s and 1930s) was known as "the Iron Horse" because he established the record for consecutive games played by a professional baseball player - 2130 games, a record held for almost 60 years. Iron Horse Week was a five day athletic competition for 1-12 Soldiers and units across Fort Carson. The turnout is always

large. Soldiers, their families and the nearby communities enjoy this fun and lively competition. Iron Horse Week always brings much excitement and comradery whether Soldiers are participating in the competition or cheering on their comrades. This event is an opportunity for Red Warrior Soldiers to take a break from the rigorous training and day to day work of the army lifestyle in order to enjoy family and friends. In this annual competition involving multiple events, the total point winners at battalion

and company level are recognized with the Commanders Cup at the end of the week. These winning battalions, presented with the Commander's Cups, maintain the Cup until the next competition. The Combatives winner receives the Fight House Cup and the Boxing winner receives the WCAP Belt. 112 Soldiers will continue to look forward to participating and competing in this athletic competition for many years to come.

Page 6


Arrowhead Company by CPT Erik Anderson

May closed out the final stages of Red Cycle Tasking, but brought with it a slew of new activities and training events that forced Soldiers to combine their skills, patience, and stamina to meet a new set of challenges. We kicked off June with Fire Team STX, which led into Fire Team Live Fire Exercise. There was then a one week respite from Fire Team training to focus on Iron Horse Week. That week consisted of various activities and sporting events Soldiers could participate in, ranging from bowling and paintball to boxing and speed climbing. After Iron Horse week, the Soldiers moved back into the field to focus on Squad STX and Squad Live Fire Exercises. With Red Cycle Tasking over, the Company consolidated and began preparing for small unit operations at the Fire Team and Squad level. To eventually operate on a large scale, the Company starts with the Fire Team and builds, adding the complexity of a larger element and different tactical problem sets throughout the training. Arrowhead Company headed to the field to begin preparing for Team STX. Each of the teams trained to work as a

We kicked off June with Fire Team STX, which led into Fire Team Live Fire Exercise.

Arrowhead Soldiers Line up in preparation for their training lane.

cohesive unit and kept an eye focused on the larger events ahead. Fire Team Live Fire occurred about one hour south of the Company training area, near Camp Red Devil. For one week, Fire Teams from each Platoon took turns maneuvering and reacting to contact during both day and night. The live fire event was broken down into six phases: three occurring during the day, and three at night. The day iterations started with a dry fire exercise, where the Fire Teams focused on bounding and operating together without ammunition. Next was the blank iteration, where the Fire Teams used blank rounds, which added a real

world aspect to the training like weapons malfunctions and rates of fire control. Last was the live fire iteration. As the name indicates, live rounds are used to simulate a real scenario and train Soldiers to focus on the small, yet critical details. With the first three iterations of day training over, the Fire Teams transitioned to night fire. The same three sequences applied: dry, blank, and live. With the added element of darkness, the teams were taxed with limited visibility, which they overcame by employing Night Vision Devices. NVDs bring their own set of challenges, but Arrowhead Soldiers quickly adapted to their night vision devices and tackled the night iterations with the same energy and tenacity as the day training. With the conclusion of Team Live Fire, Iron Horse Week became the main focus of the Company. Iron Horse Week is a series of seventeen different events that Soldiers from every unit across post participated in. Arrowhead Company demonstrated its dedication to competition by committing soldiers to nearly every event. Notable finishes included: 1LT Scott and SSG McGonigle who took 2nd
(Continued on page 7)

A Team Leader issues sectors of fire and completes his LACE report.


Page 7

Arrowhead Company (continued)

SGT Ivan, originally a Team Leader, stepped up his game to take charge of a Squad and ultimately garnered the title of Best Squad.
(BELOW) SGT Barnett (Left) and SSG Lohse watch their soldiers maneuver down the lane. (LEFT) Team Leaders SGT Parrilla (left) and SPC King (right) stand with their Squad Leader, SGT Ivan (center), under their newly earned Best SQD placard.

(Continued from page 6)

place in bowling! At the termination of Iron Horse Week, Arrowhead Soldiers moved back to the field for more training. Squad STX and Squad Live Fire Exercises ensued. Much like Team STX and Team LFX, Squad STX and Squad LFX involved both day and night training. At the Squad level, however, the maneuvering, control, and operations become far more complex. At the Fire Team level, there are three to five Soldiers per Fire Team; whereas,

approximately seven to nine Soldiers form a Squad. Furthermore, the Squad Live Fire incorporated casualty evacuation and required the coordination of multiple forces arrayed across the battle space. At the conclusion of the four day exercise, 1SG Andersen declared the Best Squad. The competition was intense, with only a few points separating the top four places. SGT Ivan, originally a Team Leader, stepped up his game to take charge of a Squad (a position normally led by a Staff Sergeant), and ulti-

mately garnered the title of Best Squad. As declared winner of SQD LFX, SGT Ivan earned his platoon the coveted wooden placard, which now hangs proudly outside 3rd Platoons door. As you can tell Arrowhead Soldiers have been extremely busy honing their Fire Team and Squad level Skills. By the end of June, everyone was looking forward to well deserved block leave in July followed by some more intense Platoon level training in August..

Page 8


(FROM TOP LEFT, CLOCKWISE) Moving out for Squad Live Fires. The mighty Executive Officer, 1LT Blanchard. Employing NODs Treating Rescue Randy SFC Weaver and 1LT Cline enjoying the heat during Squad Live Fires. Rescue Randy gets a ride in the FLA.


Page 9

History of the 1-12 Infantry Coat of Arms serves as a symbol of the regiments many accomplishments and all the sacrifices its heroes have made over the generations of conflict.

The 12th Infantry Regiment is one of the oldest and most decorated regiments of the United States Army. The 12th Infantry has fought in seven wars from the Civil War to the Global War on Terrorism. The 12th Infantry Regiment has been awarded numerous awards and citations. Their Coat of Arms serves as a physical representation of all their struggles and accomplishments. The field is bluethe color of the Infantry. This regiment took part in the Civil War; its greatest achievement was its first engagement at Gaines' Mills, Virginia, where it lost nearly 50% of its personnel. This is represented by the Moline crosses which symbolize the iron fastening of a mill stone. They are paired to serve as a reminder of the staggering losses the regiment received. A wigwam with five poles sits directly between the two crosses. It is there to symbolize the 12th Regiments involvement in the Indian Wars. Throughout the many campaigns, six Warriors won the Congressional Medal of Honor. The chief is for the Spanish and Philippine Wars, yellow and red being the Spanish colors, red and blue the Katipunan colors. During the SpanishAmerican War, the 12th Infantry was sent to Cuba, in June 1898, and participated in the storming of the Spanish fortress in the Battle of El Caney, where the 12th had the distinction of capturing the Spanish colors. This too is symbolized on the crest with the embattled partition line. The red sea lion is from the arms of the Philippine Islands. At the conclusion of the War with Spain, the regiment was immediately deployed in February 1899 to the Philippine Islands to reinforce other Army units fighting

elements of the Filipino Army that resisted the United States after they defeated the Spanish at the Battle of Manila. There, the regiment participated in three campaigns (Malolos, Tarlac, and Luzon 1899) of what was to be known as the Philippine-American War and then served as garrison troops, not returning to the United States until 1912.

Ducti Amore Patriae Led by Love of Country

Since the Spanish and Philippine Wars, the 12th Regiment has served in World War II, where it saw its first action of the war when, as part of the 4th Infantry Division, it spearheaded the assault landing on Utah Beach under the command of Colonel Russell "Red" Reeder. In Vietnam, three of the 12th Infantry Battalions deployed to Vietnam with the 4th Division from August through October 1966. The 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, to which the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry was assigned, set up base camp at Dau Tieng in III Corps while the rest of the 4th Division was assigned to the Vietnamese Highlands in II Corps alongside the 3rd Brigade of the 25th Division which had arrived in December 1965. The 4th Battalion, 12th Infantry was activated and assigned to the 199th Light Infantry Brigade in June 1966 and went with the Brigade to Vietnam where it was based at Long Binh near Saigon. In November 1967, the 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry was activated at Fort Lewis, WA and sent to Vietnam to join the 199th Brigade. Recently, the 12th Infantry Regiment has been involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, having most recently returned from Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom XIII. Though the 12th Infantry Regiment crest does not represent all of the many successes of regiment has achieved, it serves as a symbol of the regiments many accomplishments and all the sacrifices its heroes have made over the generations of conflict.

Page 10


Blackfoot Company by 1LT Hayden Reich

For Blackfoot Company, June started out quietly with impressive participation in the various competitions for the divisions Ironhorse Week. Blackfoot Soldiers competed on a variety of teams, including marksmanship, basketball, softball, tug-of-war and many others. The company also boasted the second-place finisher in the heavy-weight class of the combatives tournament, SPC Nillson. In the midst of these excellent morale building events, the training plan was also rapidly changing. What was supposed to be a month of Squad level field training and live fire exercises was replaced by the mission to support a brother brigade in providing Opposition Forces for their National Training Center rotation. 75 Soldiers were needed immediately in order to provide critical support for the deploying 2nd Brigade. Blackfoot Soldiers stepped up, quickly reorganizing their plans and expectations to meet this new mission. In a testament to their resiliency, flexibility and dedication, those 66 Blackfoot Soldiers and 9 scouts from Hatchet Company, went from receiving the mission to being on a plane to California in a mere six days. Upon arriving at NTC, the forward deployed component of Blackfoot company kept themselves extremely busy, completing all of the required OPFOR training while still finding time to build the skills that will be necessary in the Battalion field exercise immediately following block leave. After all of the specialized training, Blackfoot Soldiers braved the desert heat and conducted their primary task as OPFOR: thoroughly testing the

Blackfoot Soldiers braved the desert heat and conducted their primary task as OPFOR...

forces of 2nd Brigade and ensuring that they are in top form for that Brigades upcoming deployment. Meanwhile in the rear, the remainder of the company was not idle, supporting the Battalion in preparing for upcoming field exercises, conducting indepth Sexual Harassment/ Sexual Assault Prevention training, and improving on basic Soldier tasks and drills at every opportunity. After the company was reunited in the final week-

end of June, it was certainly a relief for Blackfoot Families and Soldiers. The training opportunities and challenges of June, however, have undoubtedly strengthened the individuals and the whole, preparing us for the road ahead. A road that intersected with some well deserved leave in July before resuming more training at the end of the summer months.


Page 11

Page 12



Page 13

Comanche Company by 2LT Michael Norberg

Now that block leave is over, [Comanche Company] has hit the ground running again to prepare to conduct platoon live fires...

1st Platoon Comanche Company proud of the bunker they built for SQD STX

The month of May was very hectic for Comanche Company, which successfully completed team and squad live fire exercises. Despite a very tight schedule, both field problems were executed flawlessly. Comanche Company began team live fires in earnest, having already solidified its individual movement techniques and buddy team maneuvers. Working in fire teams provided the opportunity for young leaders to gain critical experience in a realistic training environment. The actual live fire lanes were preceded by dry fire runs, both during the day and at night. It was essential for the men of the fire teams to mesh and become comfortable and trusting with one another to be able to effectively integrate themselves into squad-level operations.

It was apparent that their hard work had paid off by the time the squad live fire exercise kicked off. Though having only weeks to prepare, an outside observer of the exercise wouldve believed that the Comanche Soldiers had been working at it for months. The squads made it look easy as they conducted movements to contact against enemy fighting positions. Actions on the objective, the most critical aspect of any exercise of this kind, were thoroughly rehearsed prior to their execution, and there was no hesitation when the time came to perform. Special teams rolled into action and everybody knew what they were supposed to do. The training was loud, fastpaced and motivating. While its not [as intense as real combat], 1SG Burciaga com-

mented, this is some pretty realistic training, and getting the guys moving around in this type of atmosphere and maintaining a kicking ass and taking names Ranger attitude is seriously going to prepare them for the deployment to Kandahar next year. After a seemingly endless cycle of hard work, Comanche Company looked forward to enjoying their time off during block leave. Now that block leave is over, theyve hit the ground running again to prepare to conduct platoon live fires and Operation Mountain Strike under their new commander.

Page 14


(ABOVE) SFC Paullus and 1LT Tallman conducting Air Ground Integration (AGI) Simulator Training. The training was very realistic for teaching the capabilities of our aviation assets. (LEFT) PFC Zimmerman engaging targets with his M249!!


Page 15

Dog Company By CPT Gabriel C. Manis

The winning team came from 4th Platoon and consisted of SPC Darnell, SPC ONeil, , SPC Scott, PFC Badia, and PFC Valtierra.

Since taking command six weeks ago, I have been thoroughly impressed with everything Dog Company has accomplished both in and out of the field. I talked about a lot of these accomplishments at the June 19th FRG Meeting at Thunder Alley Bowling lanes but wanted to reiterate them in writing. Dog Company spent three weeks in June training in the field. As a result of this training, we promoted and awarded numerous Dog Company Soldiers. Two examples come to mind. SPC Kyle Baldwin was promoted to Corporal based on his performance at team live fires and SGT Kristopher Gomez received an Army Achievement Medal after our squad live fires for his superior performance as a Team Leader. This is a trend that will endure as we continue to train.

Big thanks to all the Families and Soldiers that came out to my first FRG meeting. We had over 100 Soldiers and Family members show up at this meeting on June 19th at Thunder Alley which was a great opportunity to meet many of the wives and children of Dog Company. I was able to recognize Monique Stockard for her outstanding service in her role as the FRG Treasurer. I also disseminated the training calendar to everyone that came. In the future, you can expect that I will continue to pass out useful information in the form of brochures and minimize the amount of time talking to the group as a whole. One final highlight is the success of our Top Dog competition. Seven Dog Company teams participated in this two mile course up Agony Hill (the longest and steepest piece of

land we could find on post). Soldiers were tested on several individual tasks to include machine gun skills, communications equipment tests, casualty care, and a memory keep-inmind game. The winning team came from 4th Platoon and consisted of SPC Darnell (team leader), SPC ONeil, , SPC Scott, PFC Badia, and PFC Valtierra. SPC Darnell, the team leader, received an impact Army Achievement Medal and all Soldiers on the winning team received two days off of work (to be taken in September). If you have not done so already, please take the time to introduce yourself to our FRG Co-Leaders, Kerri Manis and Michele Edling, through the Dog Company FRG e-mail address at

(LEFT) SPC Michell Archer, a rifleman in 4th PLT, Dog Company, uses a VS-17 panel to mark a simulated Helicopter Landing Zone during the Dog Company SQD LFX on 12 June 2013. (RIGHT) Over one hundred Soldiers and Families from Dog Company relaxed and enjoyed bowling after the FRG Meeting on June 19th at Thunder Alley Bowling Lane.

Page 16


Eagle CompanyThose Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer by CPT Alex Bonilla
The Soldiers executed flawlessly and garnered valuable lessons from this effective training event. Just prior to the end of June we were knee-deep in the administrative preparations for our summer block leave. Considering the title above, this would classify as one of these weeks with crazy dayscertainly no room for laziness right now! Those 4 weeks in June, actually, were almost exclusively crazy days! We spent that last week of May in the field executing our Team Live Fire Exercise. Your loved ones were on-point as they prepared for and executed this event. We then took a week off from the field and participated in what is called Iron Horse Week a week of sports and competitions hosted by the Division to promote teambuilding, camaraderie and friendly competition. Despite the fact that we thought Iron Horse Week would be lazy it wasnt! There was still plenty to do, despite all the fun and games! The following 2 weeks were spent in the field on the 10th of June we deployed to range TA8 for some serious training. Again, NOT a lazy week, this week turned out to be quite a HAZY week, as we quickly saw the effects of the Black Forest and Royal Gorge fires late Tuesday evening into Thursday, when we re-deployed. Despite the haze and the heat, the Soldiers of Eagle Company trained hard, all in preparation for the main event the Squad Live Fire Exercise. On the 17th of June we deployed to RG 127A. The Squad Live Fire was the culminating exercise for all of the field time and arduous preparation we had completed. We certainly had another hazy week, with the Huerfano county fires affecting the sky beginning Tuesday evening. Regardless and without a doubt, The Soldiers executed flawlessly and garnered valuable lessons from this effective training event. The Thursday, June 20th, we redeployed and hosted a Company BBQ to celebrate mission completion. Next, as mentioned above, we reset our equipment from all of that field time, as well as prepared our ranks for the fabulous 2-week block leave knew was approaching in July. It was not a busy week as we completed services and maintenance, performed regular administrative actions, and inspected all of the necessary plans to ensure safe block leave trips. We have seen crazywe have certainly seen hazy (unfortunately prayers to all those affected by the fire)and now that July is coming to an end weve also seen lazy. Because GUESS WHAT?! That is what block leave was for! We were all excited to take a break from the CRAZY schedule we have had. Leave was well deserved by all and hopefully was safely enjoyed by all!! Regards to all the families enjoy the final days of summer!!!


Page 17

Hatchet CompanyThe Beginning of Collective Training by CPT Benjamin J. Hooker

I am consistently impressed with the hard work and level of professionalism demonstrated by your Soldiers every day. First, let me begin by saying what a very great honor and privilege it is for me to serve as Hatchet 6 in 1-12IN. I am consistently impressed with the hard work and level of professionalism demonstrated by your Soldiers every day. Immediately following my change of command, May 16th, the company deployed, and by deployed I mean marched the twelve (12) miles, to the field to conduct Fire Team Live Fires. While there, your Soldiers executed a myriad of tasks ranging from Individual Movement Techniques, Situational Reports, and fire commands to name a few. The men of the Scouts and Mortars conducted both day time live fires as well as night fires, resulting in ten (10) fire teams certified and ready to move on to squad live fires. The medics of Hatchet Company also performed a plethora of combat life saving exercises to include the establishment of a Forward Aid Station (FAS). We were not even back for more than a weekend when Hatchet Company deployed again to the field and again we marched out to our range. The squads wasted no time and immediately began training squad level operations- patrol base activities, movement techniques, and standard operation procedures. On the final day and night of training, the squads encountered scenarios to test their training. The two challenges with which the squads were presented were a machine gun bunker and enemy contact while on the move. Again, the Scouts and Mortars completed all missions presented them. At the same time, the medics provided medical support to the entire battalion all across Fort Carson while simultaneously establishing the Battalion Aid Station (BAS)- a much more robust medical facility than its counterpart the FAS. After completing our two weeks of ranges, Hatchet company participated in the Division sponsored IronHorse Week. There the men and women of HHC competed in a variety of sporting events like softball, volleyball, football, rock climbing, golf, and a 10K race. All this while still accomplishing a deliberate recovery, or intense cleaning and accountability, of all Hatchet equipment that was out in the field. Once IronHorse week was completed, the battalion staff and medics deployed to the field once more. The battalion staff worked diligently to start synchronizing battalion operations in the field, and the medics worked to integrate within the battalion footprint. A week later, Hatchet Company deployed to the field to conduct Squad Live Fire exercises. The Mortarmen of HHC executed a challenging scenario of battling an enemy location that was both up hill and included a bunker, but the Soldiers met the challenge head-on, learned from each iteration (both day and night), and completed the difficult task with ferocity. Next, as the Soldiers of Hatchet Company prepared for a much deserved leave, I was once again reminded of the great privilege I am afforded and want to thank family members and friends of HHC, 1-12IN. It is with the support of family and friends that these great Soldiers are capable of even greater deeds. I am confident that the men and women of Hatchet Company will resoundingly succeed in the upcoming battalion Field Training exercise in August.

Page 18


The Life of Christopher Kit Carson by SPC Daniel Pelzel

after his time in the Army. His mother was Rebecca Robinson, who married Lindsey in 1797. The family moved from Kentucky and settled in Howard County, Missouri where his father continued to farm. Kits father passed away in 1818, which forced him to drop out of school to help his mother raise the children and tend to the familys farm lands. In 1823, Kit moved from Howard County to Franklin, Missouri, where he became an apprentice to a saddle maker. Two years later in 1826, Kit left the saddle maker and headed west on the Sante Fe trail where he worked as a laborer on a wagon caravan. Shortly after arriving in Santa Fe, Kit left the group and headed north to Taos, New Mexico. He worked as a cook, an errand boy, and he repaired harnesses. In 1828, when he was 19 years old, Kit was hired for a fur trapping expedition into California where he proved himself as able to learn the trade. From 1828 to 1840, Kit continued to go on fur trapping expeditions from the California Sierra Nevada Moutains into the Rocky Moutains. He continued to utilize Taos, New Mexico as the base for his expeditions. His work led him to become familiar with the local Indian population in the areas he hunted for furs. He became integrated into the Indian world, traveling and living among the Indian population. His first two wives were Arapahoe and Cheyenne women. In 1836, his Arapahoe first wife, Waa-Nibe, bore Kit a daughter; however she died shortly after giving birth to his daughter. His second wife, a Cheyenne woman, left shortly after the wedding to follow her tribe's migration. Kit continued to hunt for furs until 1840. By 1840 Kit was employed as a hunter for the garrison at Bents Fort, Colorado. Shortly after being hired he was named the Chief Hunter. In 1842 Kit met John C. Fremont on a Missouri Riverboat during a trip back to Colorado. Fremont hired Carson as guide for his expedition to map and describe Western Trails to the Pacific Ocean. Over the next several years, Kit helped guide Fremont throughout California and into Oregon. During the expedition Fremont wrote of Carsons knowledge of the areas they were exploring. The publications, which were widely-read, quickly made Kit Carson a national hero. In 1843, once the expedition was complete, Carson returned to Taos from California, where he married his third wife Maria Jaramillothen. Carsons publicity continued to grow as more publications were released after the expedition was complete. The publication told of Carson guiding Fremont through California. Additionally, the publications revealed that Carson and Fremont joined the Bear-Flag rebellion near the beginning of the Mexican-American War, assisting in the conquest of California. After the expedition, Carson began aiding the American occupation of Los Angeles by guiding General Stephen Kearney from Socorro, New Mexico into California. Later in the year, the forces that Carson helped guide into Los Angeles were attacked by Mexicans at San Pasqual, 30 Miles to the north of San Diego. Carson and two others snuck behind enemy lines and made their way to San Diego, where they were able to bring help for Kearneys forces. At the end of the war, Carson returned back to Taos, New
(Continued on page 19)

Carson and two others snuck behind enemy lines and made their way to San Diego, where they were able to bring help for Kearneys forces.

Kit Carson played an active role in expanding United States boundaries westward to the size it is today. From his early years, Kit lead excursions out of New Mexico into California and Colorado for fur. Later in his life, he played an important role in the Mexican-American war in California. He also commanded forces under U.S. General Kearney from New Mexico into California. In 1865 Kit was commissioned as a Brigadier General and took command of Fort Garland in Colorado. The following year due to health issues he resigned his position and moved to Boggsville, Colorado. He died in nearby Fort Lyons, Colorado on May 23, 1868. Kit Carson was born in Madison County, Kentucky on December 24, 1809, the sixth of ten children. His father, Lindsey Carson, fought in the American Revolution and became a farmer


Page 19

The Life of Christopher Kit Carson (continued)

(Continued from page 18)

Christopher Kit Carson is still remembered daily in Colorado. Fort Carson, formerly Camp Carson, was named after Carson in honor of his exploration of the West.

Mexico and began ranching. In 1853, Carson and his ranching partner Lucien Maxwell began to drive large groups of sheep from New Mexico to California. He sold the sheep near mines during the gold rush and was able to make a large profit. The next year he was appointed as a liaison agent for the Ute and Apache Indians located in Taos, New Mexico. He maintained this position until the Civil War in 1861. During the Civil War, he aided in organizing the New Mexican Volunteer Calvary, who saw action at Valverde. Carson was given new orders in 1863 from his commander in the U.S. Army. He

was to wage an economic war against the Navajo in an attempt to relocate the tribe to a designated territory. The Navajo continued to fight against Carson, who had made allies with Ute, Pueblo, Hopi, and Zuni Indiana who were all prey to the Navajo Indians. Shortly after in 1864, the Navajo surrendered to Carson. They were treated well but were forced to walk 300 miles from Arizona to Fort Sumner, New Mexico, later called the Long Walk. In 1865, Carson was commissioned as a Brigadier General and cited for gallantry and distinguished service for his actions prior to his commissioning. In 1866, he moved to Colorado and took command of Fort Garland. A year later ill health forced him to resign his com-

mand. He moved his family to Boggsville, which is near present day La Junta, Colorado. Christopher Kit Carson died May 23, 1868 in La Junta, and the following year his remains were moved to a cemetery near Taos, New Mexico. Christopher Kit Carson is still remembered daily in Colorado. Fort Carson, formerly Camp Carson, was named after Carson in honor of his exploration of the West. Kit Carson laid the frame work for the New Mexican Volunteer Calvary to join federal service in 1898. The 1ST New Mexican Volunteer Calvary entered Federal service as the 2nd Squadron, 1st U.S. Volunteer Calvary, better known as the Rough Riders.


(top) A view from the summit of Pikes Peak. (bottom) Soldiers of Arrowhead Company enjoy a photo opportunity with their friends from the sky.