Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 3

For the attention of Personal Finance Desks No of pages: 3

Date: 15June 2009 Ref:

Working students urged: study the facts about your tax

Over half of the UK’s 2.3 million students don’t realise that they are taxed on their earnings
in exactly the same way as other workers, but may be entitled to a refund if they earn less
than the Personal Allowance (£6,475) during the tax year, according to HM Revenue &
Customs (HMRC) research.

As students head off for the summer break, over three quarters support their studies by
getting a job, so HMRC is reminding them to get the facts about tax before they take up paid
employment to ensure that they don’t pay too much tax on their hard-earned cash. Students
can find all the information they need at www.direct.gov.uk/studenttaxadvice.

The research also shows that there appears to be no such thing as a typical student job –
summer posts range from retail and hospitality work to counting the number of passengers
on trains. No matter what the job is, HMRC urges students to ensure that they are paying
the right amount of tax from the start of their employment.

Simon Vessey, Head of Marketing Communications at HMRC said:

“Summer is an important time for students to ensure they’re clued up about tax, as so many
spend their holidays working. Many don’t realise that they are taxed on their earnings in the
same way as any other employees. However, if they can ensure that their tax code is correct
and have their information right from the start of their employment, this will save time and
effort later.

“We want to make sure that students understand their tax responsibilities and entitlements,
so that they don’t miss out on any of the money that’s due to them.”

As well as being aware of their Personal Allowance, students should also find out:

What to do with forms such as the P45, P60 and P38(S)

What their tax code means
What to do if they have more than one job
What National Insurance Contributions are
What information HRMC needs to know (e.g. current address)


Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Press Office

Press enquiries only please contact:
Andrew Bennett
HMRC Press Officer
Phone: 020 7147 0051
E-mail: andrew.bennett3@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
Website: www.hmrc.gov.uk

About the survey

ICM interviewed a sample of 501 UK students between 31 January and 4 February 2008.
ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Further information at
Poll of 501 students who were asked about their summer jobs. Poll carried out via Survey

Notes to editors
About the Student Tax advice campaign
HMRC’s Student Tax Advice campaign is being supported by universities and student
finance organisations. A new website for the campaign aims to become the first port of call
for students with questions about tax: www.direct.gov.uk/studenttaxadvice.

What to do with forms such as the P45, P60 and P38(S)

Students can ask their employer for a P38(S) which they can fill out at the start of their job if
they know they are not going to earn more than the Personal Allowance in that tax year
(currently £6,475). A P45 is given out at the end of a job and the P60 summarises all yearly
earnings. All forms should be kept in a safe place for future reference!
Their tax code and what it means
This helps employers to work out how much tax to deduct.
What to do if they have more than one job
Students only have one Personal Allowance for each tax year and if they start a new job
without finishing their first job, they will need to fill out a P46 form.
What National Insurance is
National Insurance contributions are recorded against a worker’s name and contribute to the
state pension. These are deducted from pay by employers and cannot be claimed back.
Student should make sure they know their National Insurance Number (NINO) for any
dealings with their tax office.
Ensuring HMRC is informed of their current address
This is each student’s responsibility and ensures they won’t miss any important letters or

*Latest student numbers published in January 2009 by DIUS and HESA: