Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 3

Office of International Education

Carnegie Mellon University

Warner Hall, Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 Website: www.cmu.edu/oie
Tel: 412.268.5231 International Students & Scholars: oie@andrew.cmu.edu
Fax: 412.268.7832 Study Abroad and Exchange: goabroad@andrew.cmu.edu




This handout applies to you if you will soon complete your current program at Carnegie Mellon and start a new
program. This includes:
• Students who will change educational level (such as bachelors to masters or masters to doctorate)
• Students who will enter the master’s portion of an integrated master’s program
• Graduate students who will start a new program at the same educational level (i.e., a student who
has completed one masters program and will start in a new one, or who is transferring from one
graduate program to another)

Students who will change their program must contact the Office of International Education at least 30 days
before either a) their current I-20/DS-2019 completion date or b) the change of program goes into effect,
whichever comes first.

This handout does not apply to undergraduates who are changing major. If you are an undergraduate and you
are changing your major, you will be issued a new I-20 or DS-2019 automatically when your information
updates in SIS (the Student Information System). If you do not receive notification from OIE of a new I-20
within 10 days of the change, you should contact us.


1. You may apply for a change of program if:

a. The expected completion of studies date on your I-20 or DS-2019 has not passed (Item #5 on
the I-20, Item #3 on the DS-2019), and
b. You are currently in lawful F-1 or J-1 status, and
c. Your new program will begin within 5 months of the completion of your old program.
2. You must apply for an extension prior to the end date on your I-20/DS-2019 AND prior to
completion of your current program. You should contact the Foreign Student Advisor at least 30
days before this date to allow for ample time to complete your application.
3. Allow one week for the production of a new I-20 or DS-2019 following the submission of complete
paperwork. See instructions below for an explanation of what to submit to OIE.

If you do not meet the requirements for a change of level listed above, you may need to exit the
country and reenter in a new F-1 or J-1 status. In this case, immediate consultation with the Foreign
Student Advisor is necessary.


Provided you meet all the requirements, the Foreign Student Advisor will authorize the extension. To apply,
follow the steps below.

STEP 1: Be informed
Read this handout thoroughly and carefully.

1 Updated 11/2005
STEP 2: Receive proof of acceptance into your new program
You must verify that you have been accepted into the new program. This proof may be either
1. The acceptance letter that you received when you were admitted into the new program, or
2. The “Verification of Admission and Financial Support” form (PAGE 3, attached)

STEP 3: Obtain Proof of Financial Support

Provide proof of financial support for the new program. For department funding, you may use the
“Verification of Admission and Financial Support” form (PAGE 3, attached) or a letter on
department letterhead that describes the amount and duration of the support. If you are funded by
another source, we will need a letter of support from your sponsor, as well as original supporting
financial documents, such as bank letters or salary statements showing that the funds are available.
Current year expense estimates are available at: http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/oie/forstu/coming.cfm
You must prove the availability of sufficient funding to meet your expenses for your first year of
study and have a reasonable expectation that the same level of support will be available in
subsequent years.

STEP 4: Process the Extension with OIE

Submit the required documents listed above to OIE. Submit complete applications only (including
proof of acceptance and proof of financial support), incomplete paperwork will not be accepted.
OIE will generate a new SEVIS I-20 for you. You must keep this and all previous copies of your I-
20s/DS-2019s, and submit them to an immigration officer when you travel outside the U.S. or apply
for any future immigration benefits, or to the Foreign Student Advisor when you apply for benefits,
which involve processing by that advisor.


It is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations which apply to F-1/J-1 Students. The
Foreign Student Advisor will assist you to do this. Remember to contact your Foreign Student Advisor
immediately if your I-20/DS-2019 will soon expire or has already expired. If you fail to meet your
responsibilities, you may not be eligible to continue (or apply for) benefits provided to nonimmigrant students.
For example, you may not be eligible for any type of employment (even on-campus employment through a
scholarship, fellowship or assistantship) or to apply for school transfer, practical/academic training or other
benefits if you do not file for an extension before your document expires.

2 Updated 11/2005
Office of International Education
Carnegie Mellon University
Warner Hall, Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 Website: www.cmu.edu/oie
Tel: 412.268.5231 International Students & Scholars: oie@andrew.cmu.edu
Fax: 412.268.7832 Study Abroad and Exchange: goabroad@andrew.cmu.edu

Students in F1 or J1 nonimmigrant status who are admitted to a new level of study or new academic program
must obtain a new Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) in order to legally remain in the US. In order to
issue this document, Office of International Education must have confirmation of the student’s admission to this
new program evidence of the student's financial support (from the department or other sources).

Student: Please complete the following information, and then give this form to the appropriate person in your
academic department. If you are not funded by your department, you must provide alternative evidence of
financial support (see page 2 of this handout).

Student name (please print): __________________________________________________________________

Student ID number:_______________________________
Expected completion date of current program*:_________________
*For combined or accelerated programs, indicate the date you will complete your bachelor’s degree.

Academic Department: Please verify the admission and/or financial information for the above-named student.

Academic Department______________________________________

Academic program and degree level admitted to _______________________________

Semester new program begins*_______________________________

*For combined or accelerated programs please indicate the semester the student will begin solely masters-level work.

Anticipated program completion date__________________________

Amount of financial support provided by the department, if any:

Amount of monthly stipend $_________________ 9 months [ ]

12 months [ ]
Amount of tuition $_________________

Additional comments, if any __________________________________________________________________

Signature of Department Personnel Date Signed

Name of Department Personnel (Please print) Phone Number or Email address

3 Updated 11/2005

Похожие интересы