Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 2

How to Apply for a Spouse/Partner Work Permit from within Canada

International House 1783 West Mall Phone: 604.822.5021

www.students.ubc.ca/international Updated June 1, 2014 Page 1 of 2
This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to www.cic.gc.ca for the most updated information or contact
UBC immigration consultants. The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Ali Rostin and Dianne Russell, Regulated
Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

After arriving in Canada as a visitor
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp (updated weekly)
Online (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp)
OR by paper; send to CIC Case Processing Centre (Vegreville, Alberta)
OR in person at a Canadian port of entry (border or airport) if you do not require a
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or a medical exam
Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]

General Supporting Documents (additional documents may be required)
Copy of students study permit
Copy of spouse/partners study/work permit, visitor record or visa (if applicable)
UBC Letter of Enrollment for the student
Copy of marriage certificate or common-law declaration
Proof of funds
Copy of spouse/partners passport (include the bio-data page plus any pages with stamps, visas or markings)

If any of the answers to questions on page 4 (Background Information) of IMM 5710 is YES or you are not sure
about your answer, contact UBC immigration consultants before submitting your application.
The student must be enrolled in full-time studies at the moment of spouse/partners application.
Work permits for a spouse or common-law partner are usually valid for the same period of time as the
students study permit.
The spouse/partner does not need a job offer to apply.
Need help scanning your documents? Go to the Irving K. Barber Chapman Learning Commons.
Press the Validate button to ensure your application is complete. The validate button does not send any
information to CIC, so you may edit and validate as many times as you need.

International House 1783 West Mall Phone: 604.822.5021
www.students.ubc.ca/international Updated June 1, 2014 Page 2 of 2
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a UCI? UCI stands for unique client identifier, also known
as client ID. It appears on official documents such
as study and work permits. If you do not have a UCI,
leave this section blank.

What type of work
permit should I

Most spouses/partners should select a work permit with a new employer.
How do I fill out my
mailing address?
A street no. is the location of a
building on a street. Some street
names also contain numbers.

What is a document

A document number appears on official CIC documents. It is usually
printed in blank ink as one letter followed by 9 numbers.
How do I fill out the
details of my
employer section if I
dont have a job?
Although you do not need a job offer to
apply for a spouse/partner work permit,
you still must complete this section.
You do not need to attach an offer of

How do I answer
Duration of

Write from todays date and to up to
three years of your desired post-
graduation work permit.
How do I fill out the
If you do not have a job, you may describe your current situation, such as accompanying

Do I need to upload
proof of a medical

Most people in Canada do NOT need proof of a medical exam unless (1) you lived in certain
countries for more than 6 months in the past 12 months, or (2) you want to work in certain health-
related occupations; see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp. You
can click modify my answers at the top of the document upload screen to review/change answers.
How can I sign the
form if I apply
You cannot sign the form if applying online; upload the form without signing. After uploading all your
documents, you will later be asked to electronically sign your application by typing your name.

After You Get It
Apply for or renew your Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage.
Apply for or renew the Social Insurance Number (SIN). SIN is required to work in Canada.
Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada (if applicable).
Every time you enter Canada, you must be able to provide evidence that you can support yourself financially for the
duration of your stay (e.g. proof of a Canadian job offer or signed employment contract, updated bank statements, etc.). If you do
not have a job in Canada but are intending to work once you are there, bring proof of your intent to work such as your resume,
list of jobs you have applied for, etc.