You are on page 1of 2

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Primary ID
Secondary ID
Proof of Address
Final Review

Final review - congratulations!

Total Points: 8 pts
You have now completed all of the steps necessary to prepare
for the MVCs 6-Point ID Verfication. To ensure that your trip to
the MVC goes as smoothly as possible, print this page and bring
it, along with your documents, to a Motor Vehicle Agency

Print Documents
Get It Right the First Time!
Every ID document you show must be an original, or a certified
copy marked with a state or municipal seal. If any of your
documents dont meet this requirement, or if any appear altered
or false or are deemed invalid for any reason, you may be
required to submit additional documentation. Submitting your
Social Security number is required by state law.

8/1/11 12:41 AM

Total Points
Current total points:

Your selected documents:

*US passport
*US college photo ID
card with transcript
*Social Security card
*High school
diploma, GED or
college diploma
*Checking or savings
account statement
from the past 60

Note for Married Women and others with Name Changes

Civil birth certificates are common ID documents, and we want
everyone to be able to use them for ID Verification. However, if
you have changed your name since birth (for example, when
you got married), you will need to show one or more documents
that link your old name to your new name.
If you have changed your name since birth, you will need one of
the following items for ID Verification:
A civil marriage certificate is all that most people will need.
Just make sure that it meets these guidelines:
Issued by the municipality in which you were married, not by
a religious entity
Photocopies are not accepted
Multiple civil marriage certificates will be necessary if you
have been married more than once and changed your name
each time
An official court order for a name change will be necessary if
you have legally changed your name for any other reason

If your current legal name is different from the name on your civil birth certificate (e.g., your
maiden name), then you must show legal proof of the name change. Legal proof = Certified
marriage or civil union certificate, divorce decree or court order linking the new name with a
previous name.

Page 1 of 2

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

8/1/11 12:41 AM

previous name.
Note: A divorce decree may be used as authority to resume using a previous name only if it
contains the new name and the previous name and permits a return to use of the previous
Certain documents may require proof of legal US presence.
All documents must be ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPIES, in English, and have the required
state and/or municipal seals.
Certified copies of New Jersey records are available from the municipality that originally issued
them and from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics at or (609) 2924087. If your birth certificate is from Jersey City/Hudson County you must check or call (888) 486-3339.

Page 2 of 2