Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 2






Congratulations on your admission to Carnegie Mellon To provide you with an Immigration Document, you must
University! You have been identified as an international submit all of the following:
student (not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) and you
1. An original International Student Information Form (Included)
must follow additional procedures to ensure that you will be
able to attend Carnegie Mellon and arrive on time. These 2. An original Affidavit of Support (if someone other than the
procedures and other details are outlined below. student will finance the education) (Included)
3. Original bank or investment statements showing liquid
Please read this information carefully and return all assets to finance the cost of tuition and living expenses
of the enclosed forms to:
4. A copy of the picture page of your passport which is used
Carnegie Mellon University to verify your birth date and the correct spelling of your name
Office of Undergraduate Admission
5000 Forbes Avenue
DOCUMENT (I-20 OR DS-2019)
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
OIE at Carnegie Mellon will print your Certificate of Eligibility
DEMONSTRATING FINANCIAL SUPPORT (I-20 or DS-2019) during the months of May through July
Before the Office of International Education (OIE) can issue an (except for early decision or waitlisted students) after
immigration document, you must show that you have financial receiving complete information, financial documents and
support for the duration of your degree program, typically four confirmation of enrollment deposit from the Office of Admission.
years. OIE must receive proof of funding for the first academic It is imperative that OIE receives your complete financial
year and specific information about how you will obtain information so we can get the immigration document to you in
funding for the remaining years of the program. a timely manner to allow you sufficient time to apply for a U.S.
visa. Be sure to provide an email address on the International
If someone other than yourself will be paying your expenses
Student Information Form so we can contact you if further
(such as a parent or guardian) they will need to provide the
information is needed. Students who receive government
proof detailed in this letter as well as the enclosed Affidavit
funding and whose government has sent a written request
of Support form which specifies the amount of money
for J status will receive a DS-2019 form, which will be used to
provided. You can view further details about acceptable
apply for a J-1 student visa. All other students will receive an
financial support at www.cmu.edu/oie, “Foreign Students,
I-20 form, which will be used to apply for an F-1 visa.
Coming to Carnegie Mellon.”
All Certificates of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) will be sent
Examples of Proof of Funding are: by standard air mail unless you request it to be sent by UPS
express delivery. If UPS express delivery is requested, OIE
• Original bank statements
will pay the initial charge and bill your student account in
• Original letterhead from a bank stating the amount of money the fall semester.
the sponsor maintains in the account
• Official investment statement (OIE will accept 75% of the
value of investments) The I-20 or DS-2019 sent to you by OIE will allow you to apply
for a student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home
Although proof of funding may have been submitted with your
country. Prior to applying for the visa each student must pay
initial application, you must submit the required proof of
the SEVIS fee. You will receive instructions about how to pay
funding to OIE for document processing.
this fee with the immigration document as well as important
NOTE: OIE will not accept Chartered Accountant statements, visa application, arrival and orientation information.
College Board Certification of Finances forms or life insurance
policies. Copies or fax submissions are not acceptable.




If you are in the U.S. in student or other non-immigrant status
there are special procedures which you must follow in order to The Intercultural Communication Center (ICC) provides
remain legally in the U.S. language support to nonnative English speakers so that they
can develop the skills needed to succeed in their academic
Incoming students currently in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 student
programs. For more information go to www.cmu.edu/icc.
status MUST request a transfer of your SEVIS record from the
present institution to Carnegie Mellon. Follow the instructions
For more information or if you have questions about any
on the International Student Information Form. You may also
of the enclosed information or about Carnegie Mellon in
view the instructions at www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/oie/
general, email the Office of Admission at undergraduate-
forstu/legtrans.cfm under “Transferring from another school
admissions@andrew.cmu.edu. For non-immigrant questions
to Carnegie Mellon University.”
email OIE at newinter@andrew.cmu.edu or visit the OIE
Incoming students in another immigration status (i.e.: E-2, L-2) website at www.cmu.edu/oie.
may need to change their status with U.S. Citizenship and
Immigration Services (USCIS). If you indicate on the
International Student Information Form that you need
to change your visa status, OIE will send you information
on how to do this. You may view the instructions at
If you have questions about either of these procedures you
may contact OIE at www.newinter@andrew.cmu.edu.

Carnegie Mellon’s Office of International Education (OIE)
sponsors International Undergraduate Orientation directly prior
to orientation for all new undergraduate students at Carnegie
Mellon. This one-day orientation is mandatory for all foreign
students and offers information about health care and insurance,
non-immigrant issues and related student responsibilities and
other practical matters, as well as social activities. This
required International Orientation program is tentatively
scheduled for Saturday, August 18, 2007, with residence
hall move-in times scheduled on Friday, August 17, 2007.
Orientation activities for family members and parents are also
scheduled for Saturday, August 18, 2007; family members are
welcomed and encouraged to attend. Specific orientation
information will be mailed with the I-20 or DS-2019 document.
In addition, the schedules will be posted on OIE’s website in
June, at www.cmu.edu/oie.

Похожие интересы