Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 3

D. I.


Donald Isaac Pandjaitan (9 June 1925 1 October 1965) was an Indonesian general who was
killed during a kidnap attempt by members of the 30 September Movement.

Early life
D.I. Pandjaitan was born in Sitorang, Balige in the Tapanuli region of North Sumatra. After
completing elementary and high school, with the arrival of the Invading Japanese, he
underwent Japanese Giyugun military education. He was then posted to Pekanbaru, and was
there when Indonesian independence was declared on 17 August 1945.

Career with the Indonesian military

In November 1945, Pandjaitan, together with other young people, helped establish a local
branch of the People's Security Army (TKR), initially serving as a battalion commander. In March
1948 he was appointed commander of the commander for organization and education of
XI/Banteng Division at Bukittinggi, West Sumatra. Not long after, he became fourth deputy
commander (supplies) for the Sumatran Army Command, then when the Dutch launched their
second "police action" against the republic, he was put in charge of supplies for the Emergency
Government of the Republic of Indonesia.[3]
After the Dutch recognition of Indonesian sovereignty in 1949, Pandjaitan was posted to the
headquarters of the Sumatran Division in Medan, and on 2 January 1950 became head of the
operational staff of the I/Bukit Barisan Division. He was then transferred to Palembang, South
Sumatra and appointed deputy commander of the II/Sriwijaya Division. From October 1952 to
July 1957, he served as the military attache to the Indonesian embassy in Bonn, West Germany.
Upon his return to Indonesia, he joined the Army General Staff. He attended a course at the US
Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth from December 1963 to June
1964. He then took up his final post as fourth assistant to the Army chief of staff.

In the early hours of October 1, 1965, a group of members of the 30 September Movement left
the Lubang Buaya (lit: Crocodile Hole) area on the eastern outskirts of Jakarta to seize a number
of key military figures and take them hostage. Pandjaitan was one of the senior military figures
they planned to take prisoner. The group broke the fence near Pandjaitan's house in Jalan
Hasanuddin, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, and shot and killed one of the household staff who
was sleeping on the ground floor of two-story house before calling on Pandjaitan to come
down. Two of the young men involved at the time were Albert Naiborhu and Viktor Naiborhu.
Both were seriously injured during a fight when DI Pandjaitan was kidnapped. Albert died
shortly afterwards. After the attackers threatened his family Pandjaitan came down in full
military uniform and surrendered. Pandjaitan was then shot and killed by a mob which was
manipulated by the PKI. His body was put in a truck and taken back to the movement's
headquarters at Lubang Buaya. Then his body along with those of a number of his colleagues
who had also been killed were thrown into a nearby well (a lubang). The bodies were
discovered on October 4, and all were given a state funeral the following day. Pandjiatan along
with the other prominent military figures who were killed in the early hours of 1 October 1965
are buried at the Kalibata Heroes Cemetery in South Jakarta. Pandjaitan was posthumously
promoted to major general and awarded the title 'Hero of the Revolution'.