Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 21

Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

Fabrique d'armes Emile et Léon Nagant


The "Fabrique d'armes Emile et Léon Nagant" was founded in 1859 by two brothers : Emile (born
in 1830) and Léon (born in 1833). They built a plant in Liège, Belgium, where they started
production in the mechanical field. By 1860, they turned their activity to the production of firearms.
Liège was a major centre in the world for the development and production of firearms.

By 1877, a very special - in terms of shape - double-barrelled


handgun, including a "rolling block" lock was produced. This
weapon was to become the very first metallic cartridge handgun
to be accepted by the Belgian
Government to equip its Gendarmerie. This quite rare weapon
(no more than some 2,000 were built) was kept in service until
1901 when it was replaced by the FN Browning 1900 auto pistol.
The pistol was sold on the commercial market until 1910.
The cartridge, of 9.4 mm calibre, was created by Bachmann, a
Belgian manufacturer.
This cartridge is known under the names : 9 mm Belgian or 9.4
mm Nagant. The lead bullet of 185 gn weight was paper patched
and inserted into a 22 mm rimmed case with a slight taper. The
charge was of 15.4 gn of very fine black powder (hunting quality)
that allowed for a 646 fps muzzle velocity.

Emile Nagant

Nagant 1877 model

The first steps of the Nagant firm in the revolver field were
closely aligned with the Dutch revolver model 1873.
This handgun, produced by the Dutch Hembrug arsenal and the
firm Beaumont of Maastricht, was partially conceived (the lock
system) by the Nagant's even if it is usually known as a
Chamelot-Delvigne design.
Two models are known to exist. An "Oud Model - old model"
equipped with an octagonal barrel. Produced until 1912 before Henri-Léon Nagant

Written for interest only 1


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
being replaced by a "Nieuw Model - new model"
fitted with a round barrel and with a slightly
shorter overall length (11” versus 13”).

The 1878 Nagant revolver was the first of a


family which met success through its adoption
by several European countries and particularly
Belgium. Its was available with a single or
double action mechanism and was adapted
following the specific recommendations of the
countries that bought it to equip their Army.

The next model 1883 had an improved single


action lock, and the cylinder external surface
was plain, without flutes. It was set with a double
9.4mm Dutch Revolvers showing both sizes action lock for Norway and Denmark. By 1886,
The Nagant influence is clear to see.

appeared an improved version of the 1878 model


with a simplified lock stemming from the 1883
model. The models 78, 78/86 and 83 were all
adopted by the Belgian Army in 9.4 mm calibre.
They remained in use until 1940.
In 1887, a specific model was adapted in calibre
7.5 mm for Sweden.

In 1887, the Nagant firm produced a Mannlicher


rifle in calibre 8 mm and 7.65 mm. Due to the

Nagant M.1878 - Belgian Military contract -


cal. 9.4 mm

complexity of the model, it was replaced by a


Mauser system in 1888.

The advent of the repeating rifle led the


Russian Imperial government to start a search
for a replacement for their antiquated Berdans.
A commission was established to find a design
that would compete with the Mauser, Lebel,
Lee-Metford, Mannlicher, Schmidt-Rubin and
the Krag-Jorgensen. They could have never
imagined that the result of their efforts would
see service in battle for the next 80 years while
Swedish Nagant - 7.5mm cal
the other rifles became museum pieces. A

Written for interest only 2


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Russian army Captain, Sergei Ivanovich Mosin would eventually
produce the winner of the competition for a new design.

Mosin's rifle wasn't an overnight success. He began work on the


design in 1883. His primary focus was on the development of a
magazine fed infantry rifle. He submitted several designs for
internal fed magazine rifles to the commission in 1884 and 1885.
His initial designs were in 10.6 mm. Between 1887 and 1889,
working with the smaller calibre then coming into general use
among European armies, Mosin developed a 5-shot, straight-line
magazine prototype in 7.62 mm; employing the antediluvian
Russian measurements of the era it was designated 3-line
calibre. The liniya, or line is equivalent to 0. 10 in or 2.54 mm;
therefore, 3 linii equals 7.62 mm or .30 in. (Lapin, "The Mosin Nagant
Rifle")

All of his efforts were rejected until October 1889. The Belgian
weapons designer Leon Nagant submitted his 3.5 line (8.89 mm)
rifle and 500 rounds of ammunition for testing by the Russian Captain, Sergei Ivanovich Mosin
government. Both designers' weapons were tested from 1890
through 1891 by units of the Russian Army. Initially, the home team headed by Mosin lost as the
army favoured Nagant's design. However, Russia being Russia, the votes were overturned in
favour of Mosin. The reason behind this move was most likely political. Typical of Russian ingenuity
and political deftness, both designs were incorporated into a rifle that featured the Mosin model with
the Nagant designed feed system. This rifle was designated the Pekhotniya vintovka obr. 1891g. or
Three-Line Rifle of the year 1891.

Following the success of the Mosin-Nagant


rifle, the firm became very well known and
accepted by the Russians. As such, it was
called upon when the time had come to
think about the replacement of the bulky,
large calibre, Smith & Wesson revolvers in
use in the Russian Army.

The new revolver had to keep the same


7.62 mm calibre used in the Mosin-Nagant
rifle. The firm proposed a new model whose
innovative technical characteristics stopped
the usual gas escape between the cylinder Smith & Wesson .44 “Russian” Break Top Revolver
and the barrel. This model was eventually S&W .44 Barrel Showing Cryllic Script
adopted by the Russians in 1895

Written for interest only 3


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
By April 1896, Emile Nagant had become sick, and
the two brothers dissolved the company.
Immediately, Léon recreated a new company under
his own name : "Fabrique d'Armes Léon Nagant".
By 1896, Léon and his two sons entered into a new
industrial activity : the making of motor cars.
Léon died on February 23, 1900, and the company
was then managed by his two sons : Charles (born
in 1863) and Maurice (born in 1866). The
company's name was changed to : "Fabrique
d'Armes et Automobiles Nagant Frères".
On December 23, 1902, Emile Nagant died. Even if Russian Nagant Model 1895 "gas seal"
by 1910, some significant improvements were made revolver
in to the famous model 1895 revolver, no new
inventions in the firearm were developed until all the tools and licenses to produce the model 1895
were bought by the Polish Radom arsenal in 1928.

Nagant Handguns That Should Qualify For Section 7.3

The Nagant revolvers of the Belgian Army

By 1878, the Belgian Army adopted for the first time a revolver to be issued to its officers. It was
the first "pure" Nagant revolver that was wholly designed - and produced - by the firm. This
weapon, later adopted with variations by many other countries, gave birth to a handgun family
among which the most famous member was and still is the model 1895 that was adopted - and
produced in vast quantities - by Russia.
The Belgian Army Nagant revolvers bore specific markings. Among those was a crowned
intertwined double "L" inside a circle, standing for King Leopold II. This Royal marking was struck
on the left side of the frame above the handle. Another military marking, a crowned "LH", was
applied on the narrow front panel of the frame by a military inspector. Also present was a specific
military proof marking represented by the EGB logo over a star inside an oval.

Written for interest only 4


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Bearing a classical ejector rod hanging under the barrel by means of a sleeve rotating around the
barrel base, the model 1878 that is shown below was of solid frame type . When unused the rod
was slid and bolted in a rest position inside the cylinder axis. An easy access to the whole lock
mechanism was provided by a removable plate on the left side of the weapon. This plate was
retained by a large screw visible at the top edge of the right wood stock. A letter "A" near this screw
indicates the start of the takedown procedure. Each part of the lock mechanism was marked with a
letter to tell the user how to dismount it in an ordered way.
An ingenious system allows the user to release the main spring tension by merely turning down the
trigger guard. Such practical thinking and design is typical of efforts to gain the favour of military
customers who are inclined to choose weapons readily stripped without the help of tools that could
be lost in the field.

Above Left: Nagant Model 1878 - cal. 9.4 mm.

Above: Right: Nagant Model 1878 Strip


Down Screw.

Right: Nagant Model 1878 Patent


Drawing Showing Trigger Guard
Spring Release

Written for interest only 5


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

Internal mechanism of the Nagant Model 1878

The lock mechanism was of double-action (trigger cocking). As


most revolvers of the same period it included a lot of parts and
springs. The sear for example was a separate part with its own
return spring (coloured in red on the patent drawing on the
previous page).

The Nagant 9.4mm Cartridge 9.4 mm Nagant cartridges from


left to right:
- Société anonyme de Bruxelles
In 1883, a new cheaper Nagant model was used by the Belgian - SA (Sté d'Anderlecht)
Army. The cylinder periphery was plain, without the usual - SFM Sté française de Munition
lengthwise flutes, and the lock was of single-action type as
shown in the two pictures here (the hammer must be thumb-cocked for each shot) This was
probably to encourage preserving ammunition. Also, the hammer was of rebounding type.
In 1886, a new model known as the 1878/86 appeared on the scene with the same simplified action
as in the model 1883 but with a double-action
lock.
If we compare this new model with the patent's
drawing of the model 1878 (page 5), one can
see that all the coloured parts on the drawing -

Nagant Model 1883 - cal. 9.4 mm

Written for interest only 6


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
five parts - were suppressed (sear, sear spring, forward trigger spring, pawl spring and hammer
stirrup). The lower limb of the main spring was used to action both the trigger and the pawl. The
pawl's axis was machined in such a way that when the main spring lower limb tip bore on it, the pawl
was forced forward.

Nagant cylinders : Mod. 1878 - Mod. 1878/86 - Mod. 1883

Simplified double-action lock of the model 1886

Written for interest only 7


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Swedish Nagant 1897 “Husqvarna” 7.5mm

From 1885 on, a Swedish Army commission began an investigation to find a new revolver to
replace their model 1871 Lefaucheux-Francotte. After technical tests were made with revolvers
such as the Austrian Gasser-Kropatschek model 1878, the Swiss Schmidt model 1882, the Belgian
Nagant model 1878 and another Belgian
revolver proposed by the firm Warnant,
the commission retained the Belgian
Nagant and the Swiss Schmidt for
further tests. The Belgian Nagant was
the winner of these complementary
tests. The first purchase orders went to
the Belgian firm but by 1897, the
Swedish firm Husqvarna started the
national production. The first 350
Husqvarna revolvers were sent to
Norway which was united with Sweden
at that time.
From 1898 to 1905, the firm Husqvarna
turned out just 13,732 Nagant revolvers
for the Swedish Army. Each was
delivered with a holster, a spare cylinder,
a cleaning rod and a screw-driver. A
small quantity was also offered on the
Swedish Nagant 1897 “Husqvarna” 7.5mm
commercial market.

Nagant revolvers of the Grand-duché of Luxembourg

Being equipped with Remmington-Nagant Rifles supplied


by Nagant during the 1880's, it was quite natural that the
authorities of Luxembourg turned toward the same firm
when the need arose for new handguns. At this time the
armed forces of Luxembourg were composed of just 500
men, split equally between the Army and the
Gendarmerie so this was not going to be the largest
order Nagant had received.
By 1884, and based upon the request of some officers of
the Luxembourg Army, the Nagant firm made up some
small 7.5 mm calibre revolvers. That calibre was already
in use by the Swiss army which was equipped with the Mod. 1884 - cal. 7.5 mm
Schmidt mod. 1882 revolver. The new Nagant revolver
was externally similar to the 1887 model but it included
the simplified action that would be found some years latter in the Swedish 1887 model. On this new
model the ejector rod had a lengthier, slimmer, chequered head, and the front sight was of
rectangular shape instead of the usual half-moon.

Written for interest only 8


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

The Army and Gendarmerie of Luxembourg


used three different models of Nagant
revolvers :
The first one, named "Model 1884 for officers"
is shown below. It was identical to the one
latter adopted by Sweden. In 1893, Norway
was also equipped with the same model but
with a notched front sight

The second model, named "Model 1884 for


officers with safety" was fitted with a safety
device which locked the cylinder when applied.
The same model was adopted by the Belgian
Ministry of Justice to equip prison guards.
Following the rule which obliged guards to Model 1884 with safety - cal. 7.5 mm
shoot two times with blank cartridges before
using live ammunition, this safety system was
devised to allow the cylinder to be locked in a position so that the two blank cartridges were the
first to be struck after the safety was released. As seen in the two pictures below, it is just a lever
whose front arm engages a cylinder chamber when the safety is on.

The third model was named "gendarme revolver or Model 1884 for gendarme". It was a 1886
model fitted with a double-action simplified lock but the cylinder was plain (not fluted) as on the
Belgian 1883 model. The calibre for this model was the 9.4 mm Nagant. A special feature of this
model was the barrel length which was 20 mm longer. The front sight shape also was different but
the rod ejector remained the
same as those on the other small
calibre models (The Belgian Army
9.4 mm models were equipped
with a different ejector rod).

Another special feature of this


model was the possibility to add
to it a removable bayonet, slid in

Written for interest only 9


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
a sleeve, and retained by a spring blade bearing a lock stud. The sleeve was attached at the end
of the barrel and held in place by a screw behind the front sight. It could remain permanently
attached. The bayonet blade, of 10.5 cm long, had a cross section. It could be removed by lifting
the spring blade retainer.
The reason for the unusual barrel length was to allow the ejector rod to be pulled out fully with the
bayonet holder attached. The
revolver was put on the commercial
market around 1890 and met with
fairly good success among target
shooters who appreciated the
precision that could be obtained
with the longer barrel.
The whole kit included a leather
holster that could hold the revolver
with the bayonet holder installed on
the gun. A long cylindrical pocket
stitched near the ammunition pouch
was also provided to store the
bayonet. Bayonet Mount for Nagant Model 1884 for gendarme

This ability to fix a bayonet to a


handgun was not unique. Many early single shot percussion and flintlock pistols had bayonets
fitted to swing out at the side or underneath the barrel for use after the shot had been fired.
However it was not common with revolvers and it was probably this model Nagant that inspired
Captain Arthur Pritchard to patent a bayonet from a cut down Gras bayonet for fitting to a Webley
MKVI and persuade WW Greener of Birmingham to manufacture them.

Characteristics of Mod. 1884-87 officer Mod. 1884-87 safety Mod. 1884-87


Nagant Revolvers Gendarme
Supplied to
Luxembourg

Total length 236mm 236mm 285mm

Barrel Length 92mm 92mm 131mm

Cylinder Type With Grooves With Grooves Un-Fluted

Capacity 6 6 6

Calibre 7.5mm 7.5mm 9.4mm

Type of Lock SA + DA SA + DA SA + DA

Features Cylinder Safety Removable Bayonet

Written for interest only 10


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Serbia

In 1890, an official commission based in Belgrade was charged with examining the various
revolvers produced by European and American firms. The recent decision by Sweden to purchase
the Nagant model 1887 in calibre 7.5 mm drew the attention of the commission.
After a series of tests at the shooting gallery of Banjica, the commission which was leaning towards
the Nagant revolver of small calibre, chose it, but some modifications in the design were asked for
by the Ministry of War. On July 8, 1891, the Nagant was adopted under the name of Model 1891.

A contract was signed for an order of 12,000 revolvers with accessories and ammunition. Those
guns were to be issued to the troop, and reserve officers. Regular officers had to personally procure
the same model at their own expense.
The firm Nagant immediately started production and the first deliveries began the following year.
The total delivery was completed by 1898.
One regulation dated February 4, 1895, defined the holster's characteristics. They had to be made
of leather with an ammunition pouch for 15 cartridges (7.5 mm). The Military plant of Kragujevac
was first given the holster production and then was asked to produce the ammunition. By 1896,
Kragujevac production had reached the figure of one million cartridges per year.

The Serbian Nagant M1891 was very similar to the


Swedish M1887. It enclosed a double-action lock,
screwed on octagonal barrel and the cylinder surface
was grooved. It also had some special feature as an
additional bolt notch (red circle) at the middle-length of
the cylinder and the loading gate (arrow) which acted
as a safety.

The cylinder locking on this model Nagant revolver works in the following manner : When the trigger
is depressed pulled to its rearmost position, the trigger stud referenced as "a" on the drawing
reaches the apex arc and engages one of the stop notches running on the periphery of the rear
cylinder's ring. One chamber is then perfectly aligned with the barrel. When the trigger is fully
released, its front referenced as "b" engages the stop notch on the median position (red arrow). So,

Written for interest only 11


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
in both positions trigger, fully depressed or released, the cylinder remains locked.

The loading gate safety is activated or released by the movement of the loading gate lever. The
lever notched ring that passes through an opening machined in the frame wall (brown arrow on the
drawing). When the gate lever is lowered to start the loading procedure, the lever ring notch
engage rotation, a groove that is machined on the rear arm of the trigger (blue arrow) and
immobilizes consequence. By the camming effect of the ring notch sliding inside the groove, the
trigger is stop in such a position that the front stud (b) is disengaged from the cylinder middle stop
notch who having the rear stud (a) reach its uppermost position and block the cylinder with one of
its rear notches. As a result, the cylinder is free to rotate while the trigger is locked. The loading
operation becomes safe with no possibility for the trigger to act upon the hammer.

Loading Gate on Serbian Model 1891 Nagant Revolver

Nagant Model 1891

Written for interest only 12


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Model 1895 “Gas Seal” Revolver Cal. 7.62

Probably the most famous and certainly the most numerous Nagant handgun is the Model 1895
“Gas Seal” Revolver. A seven shot single or double action revolver with a unique “gas seal” system
that potentially increased the power of the special 7.62 x 38R cartridge.
Ordered by Tsar Nicholas II to replace the aging Smith & Wesson .44 revolvers it was chosen
mainly because Nagant had already worked with Captain, Sergei Ivanovich Mosin to develop the
Mosin-Nagant Service Rifle. It continued in Soviet production until 1945.
It was a Nagant 1895 that was used to execute the Tsar and his family in 1918 and also to shoot,
but fail to kill, Rasputin, who it is believed, had to be finished off with a trusty old Webley .455.
The revolver was well liked by the OGPU, NKVD, KGB, and Vietcong as it could be effectively
silenced with the Bramit Device.

When Nagants were issued to a Red Army unit, the first priority was to establish each weapon's
point of impact. For revolvers that were to be issued to regular soldiers specially selected marksmen
generally conducted the firing. In the case of Nagants issued to officers and NCOs, those to whom
the particular gun was given did the firing.
Four shots were fired in single action mode, either offhand or from a rest at a range of 25 meters. It
was expected that the resulting group measure no more than six inches in diameter, and be no
further than two inches from the point of aim in any direction. The firing range commands seemed
designed to prepare the soldier for the worst eventualities he might face. "AT THE DESERTER,
FIRE!" was typical.
Thus zeroed, the bullet would strike dead on at 25 meters, 1.5" high at 10 meters and about 2" low
at 50 meters. A contemporary Soviet manual issued with the Nagant advises that suitable targets
included enemy soldiers at ranges of up to 50 meters who "suddenly appear out in the open."
Preference should be given to the "closest and most vulnerable" targets and "for the most reliable
destruction of the enemy," the aiming point should be a vital spot, "the stomach, chest or head." The
manual states that the competent soldier should be able to get off seven aimed shots in no more
than 20 seconds. Cavalrymen were instructed to train their horses to the sound of the shot and "in
peacetime, to the appearance of targets at which firing will be conducted."

The “Gas Seal” feature was


“borrowed” from another
designer, Henri Pieper, without
permission. In simple terms it
works by moving the cylinder
forward as the hammer is
cocked and seals the gap
normally found between the
cylinder and forcing cone of a
standard revolver. The
complete the seal a special
cartridge is used which is
pushed into the gap when the The Pieper Cartridge (left & centre) is 41mm long compared to 38.8
for the Nagant
cylinder is moved forward and
the neck then expands when

Written for interest only 13


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
the charge is ignited and the bullet
projected down the barrel. The
cylinder remains forward until the
trigger is released.
The Pieper system had a superior
loading system (swing out
cylinder) but a slightly more
complicated “gas seal”
mechanism. Both systems relied
on a unique 7.62 mm cartridge.

An unusual feature of the Nagant


is a breech lock. To add such a
device into a revolver presented a
major challenge.
First, the whole system had to
function automatically, and also It
had to play its function without
notably modifying the weapon's
shape or weight. Nagant managed
these requirements perfectly and
produced a truly magnificent feat
of 19th century engineering.
Commercial production 7.62×38R (right) in comparison with .32
Smith & Wesson Long and .32 H&R Magnum

1 : breechblock / 2 : bolt piece


Two parts were designed to play the role of breechblock and
breech bolt. The breechblock (1) rotates around a post and is
pushed into position by the bolt piece (2) which slides in a
vertical track machined in both sides of the frame.

Written for interest only 14


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

Written for interest only 15


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
1. Barrel 16. Grip Set 16b Grip Set 31. Gate Spring
2. Cylinder Wood 32. Gate Spring Screw
3. Cylinder Pin 17. Grip Insert Screw 33. Main Spring
4. Cylinder Pin Sleeve 18. Grip Nut 34. Recoil Plate
5. Cylinder Pin Spring
6. Double Action Fly 21. Grip Panel Screw 36. Side Plate
7. Double Action Screw 22. Hammer 37. Side Plate Screw
8. Double Action Spring 23. Hammer Block 38. Front Sight
9. Ejector Rod 24. Hammer Pivot 39. Trigger
10. Ejector Rod Sleeve 25. Hand 40. Trigger Guard
11. Ejector Rod Spring Stop 26. Lanyard Ring 41. Guard Retaining Pin
12. Ejector Rod Screw 27. Lanyard Ring Stud 42. Guard Screw
13. Firing Pin 28. Lanyard Stud Pin
14. Firing Pin Pivot 29. Loading Gate
15. Frame 30. Gate Screw
The Bramit Device

The original Nagant M1895 sound moderator was patented and manufactured by the Brothers
Mitin and was called a Bramit Device and was a friction or bayonet twist type fit onto the muzzle.
They went on to design patent and make sound moderators for both revolvers and rifles for the
soviet armed forces. The name Bramit Device has been applied to all subsequent incarnations
with the exception of modern screw-on types.

Original push on and twist Bramit Device

Full length
Bramit Device.

Written for interest only 16


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

In 1929 the brothers V.G. and I.G. Mitin ( . and . ) applied for a further patent
under the name “Revolver for soundless shooting utilizing the principle of directing the bullet through
washers of increased diameter”.
The revolver with
the silencer
device required
cartridges of
s p e c i a l
construction. In
the case of a
standard revolver
cartridge was a
bullet of smaller
d i a m e t e r
(probably 5.6 or
6.35 mm) backed
by a special
washer (sabot).
The additional
muzzle cylinder
mounted on the
muzzle of the gun
had an opening
corresponding to
Revised version of the Bramit Device the caliber of the
b ull e t sma l l
enough to catch washer. When shooting the bullet with the washer moves through the barrel, but
was then caught in the supplemental cylinder. The washer plugged the exit through the
supplemental cylinder and the gas was retained in the volume of the barrel. This hopefully blocked
the exit of powder gasses.

During the return of the cylinder of the revolver to retracted position, the cooled powder gasses
escape, making no noise. On the next shot, during the hammer cock both the revolver cylinder and
the supplemental cylinder move through 1/7 revolution. After firing all seven cartridges in the
revolver, the shooter had to empty the spent cartridges from the cylinder and the washers from the
supplemental cylinder.

The patent was obtained for the soundless revolver on 28 February 1931.

Written for interest only 17


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013

Modern screw on sound moderator. NOT a Bramit Device

“During World War II, a small number of Nagant revolvers used by Russian recon and scout troops
were outfitted with a variety of sound suppressor known as the “Bramit device.” The Cheka, NKVD,
and KGB were known to use the silenced Nagant for assassinations. Silenced Nagant revolvers,
modified in clandestine metal shops, also turned up in the hands of Viet Cong guerrillas during the
Vietnam War as assassination weapons. There is an example of a silenced Nagant M1895 in the
CIA Museum in Langley, Virginia”. Marshal Voroshilov’s personal pistol, equipped with Bramit
Device was on display in St Petersburg in October 2010

Because the Nagant 1895 has a unique “Gas Seal” these sound moderators can only be used with
this firearm. They also have a very short life as they use rubber washers as baffles and last only
about 20 shots before having to be refurbished.

Written for interest only 18


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Comparison of the power of the Nagant 1895 and the 7.72x38R cartridge and their contemporaries
Handguns S&W Russian Nagant 1895 St Etienne 1892 Browning 1900
Lock system Single-action SA and DA DA Semi-auto
Tot. length 320 mm 234 mm 239 mm 163 mm
Barrel length 178 mm 114.5 mm 117 mm 102 mm
Weigth unloaded 1170 g 780 g 840 g 615 g
Rifling 5 right 4 right 4 left 6 right
Rifling step 508 mm 240 mm 240 mm 240 mm
Capacity 6 7 6 7
Ammunition
Name .44 S&W 7.62 Nagant 8 mm Mle 92 7.65 Browning
Tot. length 35.6 à 36.2 mm 38.8 mm 36.5 mm 25 mm
Case length 23.5 à 25.5 mm 38.8 mm 27.2 mm 17.2 mm
Total weight 21.3 à 22.0 g 12.3 g 12.0 à 12.5 g 7.85 g
Bullet weight 15.9 g 7.0 g 7.85 à 8.0 g 4.75 g
Powder weight 1.49 PN 0.53 SF 0.75 PN / 0.30 Tbis 0.20 SF
True caliber 10.7 à 11.2 mm 7.8 mm 8.2 mm 7.9 mm
Ballistic
Initial speed 230 m/s 300 m/s 225 m/s 270 m/s
Energy 43 kgm 32 kgm 20 kgm 17.5 kgm
Stopping Coeff. 40.4 Stp 15.5 Stp 11 Stp 8.4 StP
Perfor. Coeff. 45.7 Perf 66 Perf 37 Perf 35.6 Perf

Nagant Revolvers
Mod. 1884-87
Model 1883/86 (Bel) 1884 (Lux) Gendarme (Bel & 1887 (Swe) 1895 (Rus)
Lux)
Gate Loading Gate Loading Gate Loading Gate Loading Gate Loading Gas
Type
Revolver Revolver Revolver Revolver Seal Revolver

Calibre(s) 9.4 mm 7.5 mm 9.4 mm 7.5 mm 7.62 mm

Barrel Length 4” 4” 5.2” 4” 4.5”

Cylinder
6 6 6 6 7
Capacity

Historic
Importance

Aesthetic
Quality

Technical
Interest

Particular
Rarity

Written for interest only 19


Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Examples held at Under Section 7.3

Model 1895 Gas Seal Revolver

This example of a Soviet


built Nagant started life
in the Tula factory (Tulsky
Oruzheiny Zavod) 200
miles south of Moscow.
However, as Operation
Typhoon ( Ger ma n
designation of the
attempt to destroy the
Russian capital) neared
the area of Tula in Dec.
1941 the whole factory
was “moved” east.
This gun finished it’s
production in 1943 in the
Izhevsk Mechanical
Plant.

Model 1895 Gas Seal Date of Manufacture 1943


Barrel Length 4.5” Capacity 7
Calibre 7.62 Length 9.25 “
Cartridge 7.62 x 38R Weight Unloaded 1.8 lb
Manufacturer Izhevsk (Nagant) Serial Number B 469
Written for interest only 20
Historic & Heritage Handguns 2013
Swedish Nagant 1897 “Husqvarna” 7.5mm
This fine example of a Swedish made Nagant Model 1897 is one of only 14,000 ever made

Model 1897 Date of Manufacture 1903


Barrel Length 4.5” Capacity 6
Calibre 7.5mm Length 9.25 “
Cartridge 7.5mm Nagant Weight Unloaded 1.8 lb
Manufacturer Husqvarna Serial Number 10078

Written for interest only 21