Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 13

THE LOCALITY OF

BAUAN

HISTORY, AND THEIR


ORIGIN

Dolor, Hannalene R.
BSED-PEAHM
The History of Bauan

Bauan is a name that came from a Tagalog word bauang which means “close or concealed and
rugged mountain” (Noceda-Sanlucar, Vocabulario, 1860, p. 43). It was also said that one day a
Spanish official asked a group of local farmers what was the place called. The farmers replied
“bawang” , a local term for garlic, believing that what the official wanted to know was what they were
planting. This happened when the farmers were planting garlic at the old site of Bauan along Taal
Lake. From that time on, the place was known and registered as Bauang, which later became Bauan.
On the later part of the 16th century until the middle of 17th century, Bauan was one of the principal
barrios of Taal. Bauan was also called Segundo hijo de Taal (second son of Taal) because it was the
second visita (a small community which has a chapel but without a resident priest from the town
proper) of Taal from 1590 to 1596 (the first visita was Balayan).

On May 17, 1590, the Augustinian friars of Taal had chosen Fr. Diego de Avila as the priest-in-charge
of the natives of Bauan. On May 12, 1596, Bauan became a parish with Fr. Ildefonso Bernal as its first
parish priest.

The parish of Bauan was the fifth parish established in the province of Batangas which was made
under the Archdiocese of Manila. Later in 1641, Bauan parish was placed under the guidance of the
Immaculate Conception and hence called the Immaculateold church small Conception Parish,
although since 1596, the patron of the parish was the Holy Cross of Bauan or the Mahal na Poong
Santa Krus.

The original site of the old Bauan with a church and a convent was a place called Tambo, along
Bonbon Lake (now Taal Lake) and near the foot of Mt. Macolot. This was from 1590 to 1662. From
Tambo, the old Bauan was relocated thrice. The first was to Durungao in 1662 under Fr. Jose
Rodriguez and Governadorcillo Josep Cabral. The people stayed there until 1671. A church and a
convent made of stone was built there in 1667. The second was to the western part of Bauan beside
sitio Sinala which was then called Duclap, named after a plant with many thorns. This was in 1671
under Fr. Nicolas de Rivera and Governadorcillo Juan Manigbas. They stayed there until 1690. In
1689, a church, a convent, a school and a cotta or fort were built there.

The third and last relocation was made in 1690 under Fr. Simon Martinez and Governadorcillo Lucas
Mangubat. The location, which was the fourth and the present site of Bauan was called Tulusan. This
site was near the sea and not so far from Punta de Asufre (now Cazdor Pt.) and Isla de Maricaban
(Maricaban Island). There, in 1695 – 1697, a church with a convent was built under Fr. Ignacio
Mercado and in 1700 – 1710; another one was built under Fr. Blas Vidal. The present church of Bauan
was built in 1762 with the supervision of Don Juan Bandino and under Fr. Jose Victoria, the same
priest who had started the built-up of the historic Taal Church.

In 1776, a fort was built in Aplaya under Fr. Miguel Brañas to protect the town from the attacks of
Moros or Muslims. This fort was ordered to be decommissioned in 1845 by Fr. Manuel de Arco.
Earlier in 1653, Bauan was separated from Taal and constituted as a town. The main reason for the
separation was the distance between the two places and the growing populace of Bauan. The people
of Bauan, led by Fernando Mangobos, who later became the first governadorcillo, made a petition for
separation which was approved by the Spanish authorities. But then in 1660, Bauan was again placed
under Taal due to lack of taxes collected in the town. In 1672, Bauan began to keep its own registry of
births and deaths.

The first center of population of the town of Bauan was a place along Bonbon Lake called Calumala
(now a part of Sta. Rita, Batangas). When Taal Volcano erupted in 1754, Bauan inhabitants moved to
a sitio called Gintuan, located in the western side of a hill we now call Durungao. After staying there
for three years, the people moved to another sitio called Taboc due to lack of water in sitio Gintuan.
Sitio Taboc had a river with the same name. But after six months, the people again transferred to a
wider and more fertile area called sitio Tulusan, which was near the sea and had a spring called
Pansol. This was the present site of Bauan poblacion or town proper. Tulusan was so called because
at that time there were plenty of tulos (stake) for the mam-inam (mam-in is a plant used by old folks
in their nganga, a habit to strengthen teeth) owned by Agustin Madlangpilac, who later donated a
portion of his property to the municipal government.

When Bauan was created as a legal town, it was consisted of the towns of San Jose (formerly called
San Jose de Malaking Tubig), Cuenca (then, a part of San Jose), Alitagtag, Mabini (Calumpang
Peninsula), Tingloy (Maricaban Island), and San Pascual. San Jose, Alitagtag, Mabini, and San
Pascual were separated from Bauan in 1767, 1910, 1918 and in 1969, respectively, while Cuenca was
separated from San Jose in 1876 and Tingloy, from Mabini in 1955.

In 1767, the barrio along Malaking Tubig (a river flowing from this place to Bauan) separated from
Bauan and became the town of San Jose with Ignacio de los Santos as its first governadorcillo. In
April 26, 1765, after the first mass held in the place, Fr. Jose Victoria named the barrio as San Jose de
Malaking Tubig.

In November 7, 1876, the town of Cuenca was created, taken from San Jose de Malaking Tubig.
Cuenca was so named by Governor General Paez after a town in Spain with the same name, since the
two (2) places had similar environment. The town of Cuenca was along Borbon Lake at the slope of
Mt. Macalot and its town proper was at the southern foot of the said mountain.

The barrio of Alitagtag, which was also along Borbon Lake and not too far from Mt. Macolot, became
the second town that was separated from Bauan. On May 27, 1909, the national authorities issued a
decree which stated that beginning on the first day of January, 1910, Alitagtag would be a legal town.
The barrio leaders who led the movement for the separation were Jose Maranan, Fulgencio Gutierrez
and Raymundo Bautista.

On January 1, 1918, the town of Mabini was created with Don Francisco Castillo as the first appointed
Presidente Municipal. The town was consisted of the barrios along the bays of Batangas and Balayan
in Calumpang Peninsula, southwestern part of Bauan and the Maricaban Island. The town was named
in honor of Apolinario Mabini, a national hero from Tanauan, Batangas.

The Maricaban Island was created into a municipality on June 17, 1955 under Republic Act No. 1334
of Pres. Ramon Magsaysay’s administration. This municipality was named Tingloy after tinghoy, a
tree used for lighting purposes which was prevalent in the island. The first municipal mayor of Tingloy
was Atty. Ramon de Claro.

The last town separated from Bauan was San Pascual. The municipality of San Pascual was created
on August 4, 1969 under Executive Order No. 6116 issued by Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos. The move to
separate San Pascual from Bauan was led by Francisco Mendoza. The new town was consisted of
Barangay San Pascual (formerly called Barrio Lagnas, which means boundary, a boundery then of the
towns of Bauan and Batangas, and which was changed to San Pascual in 1959) and other eastern
barangays of Bauan.

As years passed by, Bauan continued to prosper. In 1907, the Pansol Spring, the main source of water
in Poblacion, was developed under the administration of Presidente Municipal Andres Buendia. In
1915, an artesian well (now called gripo de Tarcena) in Aplaya was installed by Presidente Municipal
Higino Marasigan. Under Mayor Benito Cusi, the Gabaldon Building of Bauan Elementary School was
built in 1920 and the public market in 1924. The asphalting of Aplaya road and other roads in
Poblacion was done in 1929 under Mayor Simeon Ilagan. Mayor Ilagan also started the electrification
and the construction of water pipelines of Poblacion in 1930. These were completed under Mayor
Quintin Castillo in 1934. Feeder roads from San Roque to Gulibay, from Sinala to Alagao, and from
Manalupang to Pitugo were constructed under the administrations of Mayor Quintin Castillo, Conrado
Buendia and Godofredo Brual from 1934 to 1941. In the early forties, Bauan was already a first class
municipality.

Bauan had its share of tragedies aside from eruptions of Taal Volcano and frequent attacks of the
Moros. In November 26, 1926, Aplaya was flooded that resulted to loss of so many lives as well as
sizeable damages to crops and properties. In July 13, 1928, the Bauan Catholic Church was burned
together with its magnificent chandeliers, candelabras, and other priceless religious paraphernalia.

Bauan was on its way to progress when the Second World War broke out in 1941. Just a week after
the blasphemous December 8, 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbor, the military auxiliary airfield in Lipa
(now Fernando Air base) was also bombed by Japanese high dive bombers. This made the residents
of Poblacion and Aplaya scamper to seek refuge at the hilly barrios of Sinala, Alagao, Durungao and
Inicbulan where their relatives were. A year after, they returned to their homes to find out that the
town was still peaceful and the people are busy working. There was no Japanese garrison stationed
in Bauan and that the Japanese soldiers were only passing enroute to Mabini, Cuenca or Batangas.

In September 1942, the Japanese-Formosa commercial firm, Taiwan Takahatsu Ltd., established a
branch in Bauan and set up an office at the residence of Don Eusebio Orense. The company was
engaged in the production of cotton and this helped farmers earn a living by planting cotton to be
sold to the said firm. It was also during this period of Japanese occupation when the port of Bauan in
Barrio Aplaya became a major inter-island port. Hence, trading became one of the major sources of
income in the town. Traders from the Visayas embarked and disembarked all sorts of food items like
sugar, rice, coconut, fruits and even cattle at the Bauan port.

There was no guerilla unit ever established in Bauan. However, some Bauangueños secretly joined
guerilla forces in nearby towns. Information regarding guerilla organizations reached the Japanese
Kempeitai through paid spies that resulted in the arrest of prominent residents of Bauan who were
suspected to have connections with the guerillas. Some of them were brutally tortured but were
allowed to return home. Others were not that lucky and were believed to have been killed by their
captors.

In the morning of February 28, 1945, a Japanese detachment stationed in Cuenca under the
command of Captain Hagino forcibly gathered Bauan townspeople inside the Catholic Church. All
healthy-bodied males were arrested and marched into a house owned by Severino Bautista, just
across the side stairway of the church patio. When all the captives were inside, the house was locked
and was blasted using dynamites.

Those who survived the blast and rushed out of the house were fired at and bayoneted to death. By
noontime, Capt. Hagino ordered his men to ransack and burn the whole town. In that single
massacre, more than two hundred Bauangueños were killed and only three houses were left
unburned. In memory and for their honor, a monument / statue was built across the street in front of
the church and called it “Dambana ng mga Bayani”.

After the war, the task of rebuilding Bauan from the ruins of war began. It was led by a breed of new
and young political leaders; Mayors Gregorio Arreglado, Jose Daite and Ciriaco Ingco. Mayor Daite
who was a medical doctor, visited the barrios to bring medical and social services to the people.
Mayor Ingco started Bauan’s industrialization by the establishment of an oil refinery owned by Caltex
Philippines, Inc. along the coast of Batangas Bay in Brgy. San Pascual (now a municipality). During
his four consecutive four-year terms (16 uninterrupted years of service as a mayor, 1956-1972),
various infrastructure projects were completed as a consequence of a progressive local economy.

In 1972, Mayor Bienvenido Castillo continued the projects left by his predecessor. Bauan’s economy
was very much affected by the separation of San Pascual wherein Caltex Refinery was located. Mayor
Castillo invited new investors to locate their businesses in Bauan’s remaining coastal areas to
counter this economic blow. Other infrastructures like school buildings, roads, hospital, public market,
waterworks and electrification were also completed during his administration from 1972 to 1986 and
from 1988 to 1998.

In 1998, Mayor Herminigildo J. Dolor won the mayoralty race and became Bauan’s 246th local chief
executive since 1653; the 23rd since the First Republic (1898) and the 8th since the Third Republic
(1945). Within only more than a year in office, various infrastructure projects were completed, new
commercial and industrial establishments were added and old ones were expanded. Various health,
social and educational programs were conducted in Bauan under his administration.

In 2007, the second son on Mayor Hermie J. Dolor; the Hon. Ryanh M. Dolor became the new Local
Chief Executive of Bauan at the young age of 27 years old. From the father onto his son, the
leadership of Bauan was passed; another first in the colorful history of Bauan.

Immediately after assuming his post, Mayor Ryanh M. Dolor worked hard for the completion of the
computerization program of the local government, the development and rehabilitation of parks and
plazas where people can relax after a hard day’s work, invitation to business investors to set up their
businesses in Bauan to boost further Bauan’s economy, construction of schools, play courts and
roads.

Income Classification: 1st Class


Congressional District: 2nd District
No. of Barangays: 40
Land Area: 6,667.6860 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 81,351
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2010): 49,813

Elected Local Officials

About:
BAUAN, is one of the first class
municipalities in the region. It is
the most industrialized
municipality of Batangas with a
total land area of 6,667.6860
hectares, and an income of
Php264,238,987.56 in the year
2015. In 2016, the annual budget
of the Municipality is
Php270,501,894.00.

Bauan is situated in the southern


part of the province along the coastal area and lies one hundred twenty kilometers (120 kms.) due
south of Metro Manila accessible by a modern road network. Bauan, therefore, offers most of the
advantages of an industrial location, together with the more relaxed lifestyle of the country.

Bauan is composed of 40 urban barangays and it is now considered as an Urban Municipality. This is
based on 2010 NSO Survey. This means that Bauan has no more rural barangays.
The first center of population of the town of Bauan was a place along Bonbon Lake called Calumala
(now, a part of Sta. Teresita, Batangas). When Taal Volcano erupted in 1754, Bauan inhabitants
moved to a sitio called Gintuan, located in the western side of a hill we now call Durungao. After
staying there for three years, the people moved to another sitio called Taboc due to lack of water in
sitio Gintuan. Sitio Taboc had a river with the same name. But after six months, the people again
transferred to a wider and more fertile area called sitio Tulusan, which was near the sea and had a
spring called Pansol. This was the present site of Bauan poblacion or town proper. Tulusan was so
called because at that time there were plenty of tulos (stake) for the mam-inan (mam-in is a plant
used by old folks in their nganga, a habit to strengthen teeth) owned by Agustin Madlangpilac, who
later donated a portion of his property to the municipal government.

Geographic Location:
Bauan is situated in the southern part of the province along the coastal area and lies one hundred
twenty kilometers (120 kms.) due south of Metro Manila accessible by a modern road network.

Major Income Sources: Industries, Manufacturing, Services

Tourist Destinations: Midland Pacific Hotel, Purple Glace Inn, GM Lodge, Villa Ferlin Resort & Services,
Ramraq Beach Resort, Munro Beach Resort, Punto Miguel Resort, El Sogno Beach Resort, Boy Beach
Resort, La Thalilia Beach Resort, Nangkaan Seaside Hotel & Resort, Bisa Bayside Beach Resort -
Orense, Casber Beach Resort, Chavez Beach Resort, Pandanan Beach Resort, Debbie & Krys Beach
Resort, Señor Sebastian Beach Resort, Magdaleno Beach Resort, Rosemund Resort, Coco Hills Beach
Resort, Dive & Trek Marine Sanctuary & Beach Resort, King Fisher Dive, Bauan Divers Marine
Sanctuary, Binukbok View Point Resort, Ligpo Island Hotel and Resort, Portulano Resort, Seascape
Resort, 2-28 Beach Resort, Rosana Beach Resort, Pabella Clubhouse and Resort, Binukbok - Dive and
Trek Marine Sanctuary, Bauan Divers Marine Sanctuary, Portulano Marine Sanctuary and Ligpo Island
Marine Reserve

Special Events/Festivals: Sublian Festival during May town Fiesta (May 3)

THE BARRIO's IN BAUAN


Alagao
This barrio was named after the fragrant
premna1, called the alagaw in Tagalog, which
presumably grew in abundance in the barrio in
the olden days. It had two sitios called
Talangan and Kamastilisan. The barrio’s
original families were those of Juan Abante,
Nemesio Dimayacyac, Pantalion Landicho,
Antonio Asilo, Leon Generoso and Jacinto
Cabral. During the Spanish regime, adult males
in the barrio conducted patrols in what was
called the “rondahan” or “bantayan.” During the
Philippine Revolution, there was an encounter in
the barrio between Filipino rebel forces and the Spaniards. Two civilians in the barrio named Goyo
and Tiburcio Dimayacyac were caught in the crossfire and killed
Alagao was named after the premna odorata blanco.
Aplaya
This barrio being along the shores of
Batangas Bay, the name Aplaya seems
to be perfectly natural for it, the Spanish
word “playa” being “beach in English.
The barrio’s old name, however, was
Kuta. Its sitios were Daan Dagat,
Kanluran, Centro and Silangan. Early
during the Spanish regime, a watchtower
was built in the barrio, which came to be
known as Castillo. The barrio used to be
an important port of call for steamers
carrying goods to and from Bauan, but
the port would decline due to the
introduction of land transportation. For
instance, train service was extended
from the town of Batangas to Bauan in 912. During the Philippine-American War, US Army forces
turned Aplaya into a concentration camp for the citizens of Bauan. In 1919, the biggest fire to have
ever occurred in the history of Bauan (i.e., up to the fifties) happened in the barrio. In 1926, during a
typhoon, as many as 80 individuals were washed away towards the sea and hundreds of families
were rendered homeless.

As-is
This barrio’s name was taken from the
alagasi2, alternatively called “as-is” in
Tagalog, a medicinal tree the leaves of
which are also frequently used for
scrubbing. In World War II, the barrio’s
inhabitants were forced by the
Japanese to plant their fields with
cotton. Those who were slow to follow
the instruction were punished. The
Japanese soldiers tried to use the
school in the barrio as quarters but had
to leave because there was no water
supply. Seven of the barrio’s men were
bayoneted to death by the Japanese:
Pedro Bigyan, Pedro Castillo, Juan
Abracosa, Mateo Abracosa, Esteban Brual, Marcelino Salcedo and Teodoro Abracosa.
Source: History and Cultural Life of As-is
Barrio As-is was named after the Alagasi, alternatively known as as-is.
Baguilawa
This barrio used to be called Duhatan, and its present name was supposedly given after a tree. I am
unable to find any references over the Internet that will corroborate this, however. Its sitios were
called Kanluran and Ilaya. The barrio’s original settlers were the Dalangins, Bacays, Boongalings,
Evangelistas and Dimayacyacs. During the American colonial era, schools were first built in the barrio
but these were no more than nipa huts. Attendance of the schools was compulsory. In World War II,
Japanese soldiers lived in the barrio and paid good prices for the people’s crops and animals. The
irony was, they could not really use the money they got paid because food was scarce.

Balayong
This barrio was named after the tindalo3 or appleblossom shower4, a tree which must have been
called balayong in Batangas. Its original settlers were the families of Victor Abañes, Ambrosio Robles,
Damaso Magpantay, Santiago Abarentos, Segundo Reyes, Agapito Adia, Juan Austria, Teodoro
Arenas, Antonio Sandoval, Andres Landicho, Pantaleon Briones, Valeriano Mañibo and Mariano
Villanueva. In one of the barrio’s sitios called Mahabang Dahilig, many Filipino freedom fighters were
killed during an encounter with
soldiers of the US Army in 1900.
During the Japanese
occupation, farmers were
forced to cut down their rice
plantations so that the fields
could be planted with cotton
instead. Those who refused to
follow were punished.
Balayong was named after a
tree alternatively known as the
tindalo. Image source:
Philippine Medicinal Plants.
Balisong
This barrio used to be part of
another barrio called Bayanan, which is part of the Municipality
of San Pascual in the present day. The name Balisong was supposed to have been given because to
reach the place, one had to climb up a steep piece of land. Unfortunately, the source document failed
to explain the connection. The barrio was founded in 1894 and its original families were the Ilagans
and Mauhays. It was also supposed to have been an evacuation center for people fleeing the
Spaniards, presumably during the Philippine Revolution. In World War II, some Japanese soldiers lived
in the barrio and depended on the locals for their food and other necessities.

Bolo
This barrio’s name was supposed to have been a shortened version of “trambulo” which, according to
a folkloric story, was what a woman in the barrio told Spaniards when they inquired about a plant with
beautiful flowers. Among the barrio’s earliest settlers were the families of Anding Baro, Juang
Animas, Amperong Kamates, Anong Tambule, Talinang Kalabasa and Kanaway Paglinawan. There
were also the Enriquez, Panganiban, Cortez and del Campo families. The people of the barrio thrived
during the American era because the prices of commodities were low. This changed during the
Japanese occupation when prices became inflated and commodities were scarce.
Colvo
The barrio’s name was supposed to have come from the word “olbo,” which meant “a place where the
inhabitants are well-kept, peaceful, and fairly treated by other people…” The word must have been
either dialect or now archaic. Its sitios were called Ilayang Pook, Look and Colvo Beach. From 1895-
96, people in the barrio starved because of a prolonged drought. They ate root crops just to survive. In
1897, the barrio was struck by a cholera epidemic, and 35 inhabitants died. Males in the barrio 20-15
years old were “forced to join the Filipino armed forces to fight against the Spaniards.” In World War
II, Colvo was an evacuation center for people from other towns.

Cupang
This barrio used to be known by several
names: Tingig, Calicanto, Pook and
Ludlud. The origin of the name Cupang is
unknown. Most of the barrio’s earliest
inhabitants were immigrants from other
barrios. The earliest known settlers
were the families of Peru Banta,
Roberta Ilagan, Dalmacio Macuha,
Crispin Dimalibot, Tomas Abreu, Lucas
Macalincag and Tirso Alcantara. Due to a
food shortage in 1840, the barrio’s
inhabitants turned to eating corn and
cassava in lieu of rice. In 1863, a
promulgation was issued requiring all
males 18-60 to work for the town of Bauan for 40 days each year. Because of this, sixteen of the
barrio’s inhabitants were taken to the town to work as required.
Inhabitants of Barrio Cupang turned to eating corn and cassava to survive a food shortage in 1840.

Durungao
Durungao had three sitios named Guintuan, Pandayan and Abilo. The barrio was established in 1700.
At Guintuan, the original settlers were the families of Sixto Hernandez, Placido Abante, Juan Comia
and Preolan Evangelista. Pandaya, meanwhile, was initially settled by the families of Antonio
Boongaling, Dionisio Boongaling, Amando Dalisay and Geronimo Dalisay. Finally, Abilo’s earliest
settlers were the families of Pablo and Agaton Boongaling.

Gulibay
According to a folkloric story yet again
involving Spanish soldiers, the barrio’s
name was from a skin rash which was
called “tagulabay5.” Over time, this would
be shortened to “gulibay.” The barrio used
to be a small settlement and its earliest
inhabitants were the families of Mang Iro,
Mang Dario, Pablo, Teroy, Valentin Asilo, Isidro, Terio, Victor Abacsa, Dionicio Magboo, Bador Santoyo
and Iming Guia. (Note: the source document for this barrio was poorly researched and contained little
informatio
Gulibay was named after a folkloric story involving the tagulabay (above), a skin rash. Image source:
Halamang Gamot.

Inicbulan
This barrio’s name was supposed to have been taken from a big tree. I am unable, however, to find
any references about such a tree on the Internet. The barrio was founded in 1773 and its original
families were those of Juan Ilagan, Pedro Ilagan, Genaro Ilagan, Bernardo Castillo, Marcelino
Evangelista, Segundo Evangelista, Gregorio Marasigan and Damian Ramos. During the Spanish
regime, most of the houses in the barrio were made with bamboo and nipa. When the Americans
arrived, they were initially treated with suspicion and many men in the barrio joined the resistance
movement against them. In World War II, the barrio was frequently visited by Japanese soldiers
looking for food.

Locloc
This barrio had two previous names: Manalupac and San Luis. It was established during the Spanish
era and its sitios were Sadsaran, Buboyan, Sintorisan, San Jose, Gulod, Labak na Tubig, Pulang Lupa,
Putol and Nangkaan. Its earliest settlers were the families of Agustin Castillo, Pioquinto Maranan,
Posidio Caringal, Lucio Abante, Guillermo Castillo, Anastacio Manibo, Marcelino de Castro, Julia
Villanueva and Florencio Garces.

Magalang-galang
The name of this barrio was supposed to have been given due to the respectfulness of its inhabitants
towards Spanish officialdom during the
colonial era. Its sitios were called Puting
Buhangin and Look. As in other barrios,
the inhabitants of Magalang-galang
starved because of the prolonged drought
of 1895-96. The barrio was also severely
affected by the 1897 cholera epidemic. In
1901, soldiers of the United States Army
along with the Macabebe Scouts went to
the barrio to look for rebels and burned
houses. The barrio’s inhabitants were
forced to live in a concentration camp. Another cholera epidemic broke out in 1904. World War II was
a miserable time for the inhabitants of the barrio because of the shortage of food, and many had to
survive by eating boiled root crops. In February of 19446, people of the barrio had to evacuate as
American forces engaged Japanese troops based in the barrio.
Magalang-galang was visited by soldiers of the US Army and the Macabebe Scouts (above) in 1901.

Malindig
This barrio used to be alternatively known as Munting Pook (small place). It used to be a sitio of
Barrio Alagao. According to folklore, the name Malindig came about because of a Spaniard, inevitably,
mispronouncing the Tagalog word “magaling,” meaning “good.” The barrio’s original settlers were the
Ilagan, Caringal and Dimayuga families. During the Japanese occupation, similar to what happened in
other barrios, farmers in Malindig were forced by the Japanese to plant their agricultural fields with
cotton at the expense of food crops.
Manalupang
This barrio’s old name was Lumbang, and its sitios were called Lumbangan, Sampalokan, Pook na
Gitna and Kanluran. It got its present name because the land was supposed to have been inherited
property or, in Tagalog, “manang lupa.” Its original settlers were the Mendoza, de Rojas, Ilagan,
Gonzales, Caringal and del Rosario families. During the American colonial era, schoolhouses made of
nipa, cogon and bamboo were built. Children were required to attend school. During the Japanese
occupation, five inhabitants of the barrio were shot dead by soldiers of the Japanese Imperial Army.
Three more were electrocuted and killed in a Japanese tunnel where they had gone to forage for
food.

Manghinao
According to folklore, Spaniards crossing a
river in the barrio called out to some natives
who were washing their hands at the river
bank. The Spaniards asked what the name
of the place was, and of course the natives,
not understanding a word of Spanish,
replied that they were washing their hands
or, in Tagalog, “nanghihinaw.” The barrio’s
sitios were called Pandayan, Karitan, Alulod,
Bukal, Pook and Putok. In World War II, the
Japanese confiscated livestock and poultry
from the barrio’s inhabitants. Food became
scarce because farmers were forced to
plant fields with cotton instead of food
crops. After the war, the United States Army leased the lands in the barrio and put up a camp, where
American soldiers stayed for five months.
According to folklore, Manghinao's name came from yet another folkloric misunderstanding between
natives and Spaniards at a river in Bauan.

Rizal
Barrio Rizal, established in 1850, also used to be known as Calaca and then later as Talisay. Its
present name honors the Philippine national hero. Its original families were those of Pascual
Hernandez, Paulino Hernandez, Calixto Marasigan, Ricardo Gonda, Wenceslao Salcedo, Cayetano
Salcedo and Quintin Sandoval. Life in the barrio in the early days was simple and houses were built
with no more than nipa and bamboo. Inhabitants of the barrio lived in accordance with Spanish rule
and served the obligatory unpaid labor to the government mostly in public works.

San Andres
The barrio was not named after a saint but, instead, a former community elder in the barrio named
Andres. Its sitios were called Balanga, San Luis, Talisay and Balete. Its original families were the
Medrano, Hernandez, Cadevida, Dolor, Buensalida and Daite families. After the Philippine Revolution,
when news came to the barrio that the Americans were coming, the inhabitants evacuated to other
barrios for fear that they would be mistreated and their properties confiscated. When the Philippine-
American War broke out, US Army soldiers and the Macabebe Scouts burned down the houses of the
barrio’s inhabitants who were suspected of being rebels. The Scouts also abused women in the barrio
without the knowledge of the Americans. In World War II, some of the houses in the barrio were
occupied by soldiers of the Japanese Imperial Army, who took from the people their food as well as
their boats.
San Diego
This barrio’s old name was Buli Malindig. It was established during the Spanish colonial era and its
original settlers were the Brucal, Mendoza, Manalo, Abante and Reyes families. The barrio was
originally part of Malindig, and when it
became a separate barrio it was named
by one Diego Brucal, acknowledged as
the first person “to plant fruit trees,
vegetables and other food crops in the
place.” During the Spanish era, the
barrio was attacked by a band of
brigands or tulisanes led by one Antolin
Generoso. The people of the barrio
fought them off and the person who
killed Generoso received 100 pesos,
the price on the bandit’s head. In World
War II, many of the barrio’s inhabitants evacuated to other towns to escape the harshness of life
under Japanese control.
San Diego fought off invading tulisanes during the Spanish era.

San Roque
This barrio was originally called Sabang but later renamed after its patron saint. Its original settlers
were the families of Mariano Mendoza, Nicolas Castillo, Anatalio Garcia, Guillermo Salcedo, Rufino
Salcedo, Aurelio Salcedo, Luciano Gonzales, Juan Gonzales, Casiano Gonzales and Lorenzo Ramos.
The barrio was untouched by the Philippine-American War, so those from other barrios evacuated to
it. During the American colonial era, although many parents in the barrio were uneducated, they did
their best to send their own children to school. In World War II, San Roque became an evacuation
center for inhabitants of the town of Bauan and its other barrios. Some Japanese soldiers came to
visit asking for livestock and poultry, but never forcibly took these.

Santa Maria
This barrio used to be called Munting Tubig (small water). Its sitios were called Wawa, Balangutan,
Munting Tubig and Patugo. Its original settlers were the families of Mariano Caguate, Narciso
Caguate, Evaristo Sandoval, Cirilo Panopio, Cipriano Corona, Roman Medrano, Mariano Agina,
Saturnino Calinao, Silvestre Calinao, Fermin Dinglasan, Feliciano Dinglasan and Lucas Silang. There
were no roads nor bridges leading to Santa Maria during the Spanish colonial era; and it was only
after the floods of 1927 that these were built. During the latter part of the nineteenth century, many
inhabitants of the barrio joined the rebels against Spanish rule. Because many of the houses were
built along the seashore, many of the barrio’s inhabitants were killed by a powerful typhoon in 1927.
In World War II, Santa Maria was chosen to be site for a concentration camp for – presumably
captured – guerrillas.

Sinala
The name of this barrio was supposedly taken from the waters of a brook that flowed through its
eastern side, from which the earliest inhabitants fetched water which was then sieved (sinala) for
drinking. The barrio was originally settled by several families, the better known of which were those of
Maximo Boongaling, Barcelino Manalo, Domingo Cruzat, Peru Cruzat, Ignacio Valdez and one Mr.
Escalona. During the Spanish colonial era, the barrio was basically at peace except for the occasional
case of castle rustling. In World War II, Sinala became an evacuation center because it had two
artesian wells and, therefore, a steady supply of drinking water. Unfortunately, food was scarce and
people had to subsist on cassava instead of rice. The Japanese also frequently confiscated livestock
and poultry.