You are on page 1of 1

Allowable and Disallowable Expenses

Allowable Expenditure Disallowable Expenditure

Staff related costs Not wholly & exclusively incurred for trade
Employers NIC Your own wages, salary or drawings
Insurance The initial cost of buildings
Rents Council tax relating to the private use
Heating, Lighting, Rates of your home
Security Alterations & improvements to business
General maintenance of: premises (Capital Allowances)
business premises and machinery Travel between your home & workplace
Telephone, mobiles Entertaining
Postage, printing Legal fees and fines if you break the law
Trade & professional journals General reserves for bad debts
Car insurance, servicing, repairs The cost of clothes which could be worn
Road fund licence for non-work purposes
Petrol/Diesal Payments to clubs, charities
Parking fees Depreciation
Rail fares, air fares, taxi Capital (Pre-acquisition)
Hotels Gifts to customers- £15 max
Accommodation & subsistence No food, drink or tobacco unless
Advertising, mailshots conspicuous advertising under certain limits
Accountancy fees Hire charges for expensive cars
Solicitors fees Lease premiums
Professional indemnity insurance Theft by Directors & senior staff
Unrecoverable debts
Interest on business bank loans
Bank charges, credit card charges
Pre-trading expenditure
Use of home as an office
Music cds, videos, dvds
Christmas parties (Up to certain limits)

Allowable Deductions

Expenses incurred solely for business purposes are generally allowable. This expenditure is
usually referred to as 'Wholly & Exclusively'.

Disallowable Deductions

Expenditure which is not wholly and exclusively intended for trade purposes, is not allowable.

An easier way to remember what is allowable is to use the Tax Return itself. On the Tax Return,
the Inland Revenue lists the items, which should be included as expenditure items.
This is a good indication as to what the Inland Revenue will allow.

For resources articles and free downloads, visit the website.