Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 8

HISTORY OF VALLADOLID

The place was first called “Inabuyan” until the Spanish leaders arrived and one of them named
the place after his native town Valladolid in Spain. During the Spanish era, Valladolid was
considered one of the most prosperous towns of Negros Occidental. The size of the convent
and church built by the Recollect Missionaries in 1851 were proofs of this status considering
that the church authorities were powerful in running the affairs of the government.
Valladolid was established in 1860. The influx of settlers from the neighboring islands
of Guimaras, Panay and Cebu prompted the then Governor Saravia to create an additional town
which is now Pulupandan. The settlers made this town a landing area in coming to Negros,
brought about by the introduction of sugar which resulted in the economic growth and
prosperity of the island. The town is known as the Rice Granary of Negros Occidental with 90
percent of its arable land planted to palay. It produce more than half a million cavans of rice
every year. It also produces vegetables, fruits and the diwal or angel wings shell, a seasonal
delicacy.
The Aetas were the original inhabitants of Valladolid. They were ultimately forced to move to
the uplands when the early settlers and colonizers came to stay. Significant events in the
province during the early founding years as well as major upheavals during and after the
revolutionary period brought profound changes in the municipality.
By and large, Valladolid has its place in the historical set-up of the province of Negros
Occidental socially, spiritually, economically and politically. It is also the bulwark of
Filipinistas Aglipayan in Negros. This dominant sect caused the defeat of the fiery Manuel L.
Quezon in the hands of the Aglipayans in the presidential election of 1935 during
the Commonwealth era.
Pasundayag Festival is a thanksgiving and celebration of good harvest. It is a farmers festival in
honor of the town’s patroness, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe featuring street dancing
competition, arena festival dance showdown and merry making.

HISTORY OF PONTEVEDRA

According to history the first inhabitants of Pontevedra came from Guimaras and Panay islands.
The place was once known as “Marayo” as the town was established along the river bank of
Marayo. When Spaniards came they changed the name to Pontevedra after the name of their
town in Galacia Region in Spain.

According to the authorities and scholars of Negros Occidental who conducted research
at the Spanish archives, Pontevedra, which is undoubtly an Iberian name, was taken from that
beautiful place in the Galicia Region of Spain and brought to the province's shores by the
Spanish colonizers who wanted to be reminded of their land of birth and their love ones left
behind. Some of them decide to stay and made it their second home, bringing with them some
of their rich Spanish and European cultures, influence, and most importantly, the Christian
religion. By virtue of a Spanish decree, Pontevedra was declared a pueblo in 1856.

But long before the Spaniard cam, there are already some settlements and the place was
already called Marayo, an old Ilonggo or Karay-a term for a faraway place, as viewed from the
neighboring island of Guimaras and Panay.

HISTORY OF SAN ENRIQUE

Around 1840, San Enrique was known as Pueblo de Tinobagan. It was ruled by Spanish friars
headed by Eustaquio who appointed Juan Espinosa and Benigno Aguirre as cabezas to
head two sections of the pueblo. Both were charge to collect taxes for the Spanish friars.

After about 50 years, the townsfolk staged insurrection against the imposition of high taxes by
the Spanish friars. A group led by Titong Custodio arrested all the Spaniards and brought them
to the Pueblo de Buklod (now Bacolod) and this eventually ended the Spanish rule in the
municipality.

In 1882, a Spanish general visited the pueblo and re-christened Pueblo de Tinobagan to San
Enrique. The year saw improvements for the town-the construction of a church, a convent and
roads connecting Pueblo de Marayo (now Pontevedra) and Pueblo de Dolid (now Valladolid).

In 1898, six sailboats of American soldiers anchored at Sitio Utod of the town. The soldiers
proceeded to the town of La Carlota where they stayed for almost three months. When the
Americans returned to San Enrique, they appointed Victoriano Rodriguez as the first president.

The convent in the town was temporarily used as municipal hall. In 1904, San Enrique was
annexed to the town of La Carlota for almost three years. The townspeople petitioned in
1907 that they be separated from La Carlota, and Angel Ledesma was appointed president
afterwards.

Bulang-Bulang Festival is celebrated every February 2-9. The festival gives recognition
to the game fowl industry which is one of the major sources of livelihood of the town. Bulang-
bulang is a character dance presentation which depicts the life and character of the fighting
cock. The festival gives recognition to the game fowl industry which is one of the major sources
of livelihood of the Municipality of San Enrique
HISTORY OF LA CARLOTA

Even before the Spaniards discovered La Carlota, it was already an agricultural settlement. The
natives grew rice for consumption, and tobacco for export. The earliest known settlement
within the jurisdiction of La Carlota was along banks of Candaguit River. It was only in 1856
when historians mentioned about the village Mampunay, and the shift of the two settlements
in an area which the parish priest appointed to be the area from settlements, the barrio of
Simancas.

In 1856, the barrio of Simancas was placed under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of
Valladolid. On July 23, 1864, however, the people of San Enrique, Pontevedra and Simancas
were taken away from Valladolid to form the town of San Enrique. On October 15, 1869, the
King of Spain issued a Royal Decree elevating Pontevedra into a parish and Simancas into a
town. In 1871, King CArlos of Spain issued another Royal Decree changing the name of the town
Simancas to La Carlota.

By the 1890’s, La Carlota’s agriculture advances became a model for farms in Negros. During
this period the sugar planters of La Carlota had become sophisticated enough to organize a
Circulo de Agricultores, the first organization in the island to under take an anti-locust
campaign, and to participate actively during the 1898 revolution.

Throughout much of its early history, agriculture was the main source of livelihood for the
native settlers of Simancas. The original inhabitants grew rice for their own consumption and
latter ones cultivated tobacco for export during the Spanish colonial era. Early settlers were
drawn to Candaguit River from where Simancas expanded. In 1856 historians began mentioning
the village of Mampunay in their accounts of the settlement's history. The local parish priest of
San Enrique at the time designated Simancas as a barrio.

Prior to the establishment of the permanent Spanish settlement in the Philippines in 1565,
Simancas was led by Mangkas, a negrito warrior. He lived around the area of what is today
known as Canman-ug Creek. People looked up to him for his bravery in warding off hostile
forces and for keeping the peace. Legend says that because the people revered him, they
named their children after him. With many inhabitants named Mangkas, the settlement
eventually became known as Simancas.

The prosperous life of the natives was shattered upon the arrival of the Spanish colonizers who
easily subdued them with modern weapons against their bows and arrows. Some of the natives
fled but others opted to continue living in the village under the harsh rule of the colonizers. This
ended years later when Carlota's husband was assigned as capitan of San Enrique town. She
was compassionate and tended to the sick, cared for the poor and fed the famished.In 1856,
the barrio of Simancas was placed under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Valladolid. On
July 23, 1864, however, the settlements of San Enrique, Pontevedra and Simancas were formed
into a new municipality known as San Enrique. On October 15, 1869, the King of Spain issued a
royal decree elevating Pontevedra into a parish and Simancas into a town. In 1871, King Carlos
of Spain issued another royal decree changing the name of Simancas to La Carlota.

The decree was issued upon the request of Spanish "Carlistas," the term used to describe the
followers of King Carlos of Spain. On December 4, 1876, a royal order was issued making La
Carlota a parish.

By the 1890s, La Carlota’s agricultural advances had become a model for farms throughout
Negros. During this period, the sugar planters of La Carlota formed Circulo de Agricultores, the
first organization on the island to undertake an anti-locust campaign. When the Philippine
revolution broke out in 1898, the planters actively participated in the fight for independence
from Spain.

The 1890s were important years in the history not only of La Carlota but of the whole island. It
was during this decade when the levantamiento or uprising against Spain started and ended
with the capitulation of the Spanish authorities in Bacolod, the capital of the province, to the
revolutionary forces in 1898. The division of Negros island into two distinct provinces (Negros
Occidental and Negros Oriental) took place in 1890 at the start of this historic decade. La
Carlota as well saw a flowering of culture during this decade, which ushered in what many
consider as its golden literary age. Near the end of that decade was born in La Carlota one of its
most famous children in the literary field: Adelina Gurrea. She later gained world prominence as
a journalist, poet and novelist in Spain where she espoused women's causes in her writings.

From 1901 to 1906, La Carlota figured prominently in the anti-American resistance movement
on Negros. It produced some of the best-known Babaylan leaders, chief among whom was Papa
Isio. He led the struggle against the American occupation that replaced the Spanish regime as a
result of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish–American War and ceded control of the
Philippines to the United States. Babaylans or entrencirados conducted guerrilla warfare
against the American forces in the towns of La Carlota, Isabela, Kabankalan and La Castellana.

The American period saw the construction of a Gabaldon-type school building in 1908. The
Central Azucarera de La Carlota,[8] considered as the biggest sugar mill tandem in Asia, was
constructed by the Elizalde family in 1918.The period from 1918 through the 1980s saw further
expansion in La Carlota in terms of infrastructure. The imposing Presidencia Building, the seat
of the local government, was constructed in 1934, and since then has become a landmark in the
city center. In 1948 the La Carlota City High School building was constructed. Two years later, it
hosted the first-ever carnival to be held on the island. La Carlota has produced three world
boxing champions: Pancho Villa, world flyweight champion from 1923 to 1925; Small Montana,
world flyweight crown holder from 1935 to 1938; and Little Dado (Eleuterio Zapanta), world
bantamweight champion in 1940 and world flyweight champion in 1941.The creation of La
Carlota as a chartered city occurred on June 19, 1965 by virtue of Republic Act No. 4585.[9] In
1967, La Carlota City College was established, becoming the only community college in the
province at that point in time to be operated by a local government unit. From its humble
beginnings as a small settlement, La Carlota has evolved into one of the major sugar-producing
cities in the Philippines.

HISTORY OF BAGO CITY

The earliest recorded history of Bago City dates back from the 17th century when a group of
settlers from Panay crossed the Guimaras Strait and migrated to Negros. Some of those settlers
went to the banks of Bago River, one of the largest river in Negros Island.

These settlers made the rapid growth of the community. They formed a village which capable
of establishing its own government. When the Spaniards came to the place, they petitioned
them to make the village as “pueblo” or town and name it Bago. Their petition was granted
within that same year.

Bago experienced lots of oppressions from its colonizers. However, the people still continued to
live and to fight for the desired freedom. They joined forces to free themselves from being
exiled. One of the noted leaders of the revolutionary organizations formed in Bago at that time
was General Juan A. Araneta.

Since then, Bago continued to aim for freedom and progress which were also reached when it
was declared as a city on February 19, 1966.

Its history has its beginning on September 6, 1571 when the Spanish Adelantado, Miguel Lopez
de Legaspi, allotted the community to a Spaniard named Juan Gutierrez Cortes as his
"encomienda". At that time, the community was still composed of small clusters of settlements
along the banks of a big river which later became known as the Bago River. The
"encomiendero", since then, administered to the spiritual and socio-economic needs of the
natives in the settlements until June, 1578; however, a year before that, this community was
placed under the evangelical visitations of Father Geronimo Marin, an Augustinian priest who
had taken charge of the Christianization of the natives of Binalbagan since the year 1572.
Father Matin, upon his arrival in the community, celebrated the feast of St. John the Baptist,
who would later be accepted as the patron saint of the place. Following the traditions and
practices of the Spanish missionaries and historians in recording the founding of a "pueblo" or
town that usually coincides with the feast day of a saint and since the feast day of St. John the
Baptist, falls on June 24 of each year, it follows thereof that Bago was founded on June 24,
1575. History only records 1575 as the year when Bago was founded so that the exact month
and day can only be deduced from such traditional practices of the Spaniards. Manila, Cebu and
Binalbagan also predicted the dates of their founding on the same historical situations; hence,
the logical conclusion is that Bago City was officially founded on the month, day and year
heretofore mentioned.

As regards on how the community acquired its name, according to the manuscript of a Spanish
historian, Diego Lope de Povedano, which is available in the library of the University of San
Carlos, Cebu City, the community was named after a large tree called "Bago" under which, a
native prince by the name of Mapagic died.

Another historical version is that the place got its name from a shrub called "bago-bago" which
was then growing luxuriantly along the river banks.

17th Century

From the year 1575 up to the close of the 16th century, no historical account was written about
the community. Bago came into the historical scene again when, at early part of the 17th
century, a group of settlers settled along the banks of Bago River. The arrival of these settlers
merged into a sizable village capable of self- governance. In later years, the descendants of
these settlers petitioned the Spanish authorities to declare their village a "pueblo" or town and
to name it "Bago". Among the petitioners were Manuel Sitchon, Gregorio Varela, Paulino
Torres, Jacinto Araneta, Clemente Celis, Mariano Gonzaga and Fernando Villanueva, whose
forebears hailed from the town of Molo, lloilo. The said petition was finally granted by the
Spanish authorities in the year 1800; thus, Bago officially attained the status of a "pueblo" or
town in that same year.

HISTORY OF PULUPANDAN

Pulupandan derived its name from the vernacular phrase “pulo sang pandan”, meaning “isle of
pandan”, due to the wild forest of palms in the town during the early days before it became a
bustling seaport.

Formerly a barrio of Valladolid, Pulupandan was organized into an independent pueblo or


temporary town together with Sum-ag, Ma-ao and Dancalan, among others, in 1899 under the
Republic of Negros when it was created after the successful revolution of Negrenses against
Spain.

In 1903, after the short-lived existence of the Negros Cantonal Government, a Re-Organization
Committee was created in consonance with the re-organization of the government during the
American Occupation. Ironically, however, the municipality of Pulupandan was again
incorporated as barrio of Valladolid pursuant to the re-organization. Pulupandan remained as
such until 1916 when it was again segregated from Valladolid and re-organized into an
independent municipality.

Pulupandan was officially created into a town pursuant to the mandate of Governor General
Francis Burton Harrison as contained in his Executive Order No. 95 dated December 23, 1916.
This creation took effect on January 1, 1917 and was implemented by Resolution No. 36 dated
January 12, 1917 of the Provincial Board of Negros Occidental with then Gov. Matias Hilado.

PLACES OF INTEREST

Green Beach Liberation Stone Marker


It was in the beaches of Pulupandan in the early dawn of March 29, 1945 that the historical
event of the landing of American Liberation Forces without any opposition nor bloodshed and
who together with the Filipino guerillas drive the enemy forces away from the island of Negros.

This marker standstill at Barangay Zone-1, showcasing the significance of the area’s history and
valor, boosting the pride and awareness of the new generation of this rich cultural heritage of
the Filipino people.

Jewels Restaurant. The place features the thrill and excitement of fishing aboard a bamboo raft.
The place is ideal for family outings and business meetings.

Salapan Festival

Salapan was coined from the words salap and pandan. Salap is a native word for “fishnet” and
is linked to the traditional guinamos industry. While the word ‘pan’ comes from the word
“pandan” which is the basis of the town “Pulo sg Pandan” or isle of pandan. Likewise, another
‘pan’ refers to the port or “pantalan” which is the major factor in the economic growth of the
town. The pandan and fishing net inspired costume of the dancers depicts the livelihood of the
people and the abundance of the marine resources and delicacies found in the seashore of
Pulupandan. The festival is held every February 15.
History of
District 4 Cities
and
Municipalities
Submitted by:

Omban, Jerson C.
Pellie, Rona
Roda, Rose Ann
Sipulan, Gabriel S.

Submitted to:

Sir Samuel H. Herrera