Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 84


Your Guide to Edinburgh Napier

International Welcome Day Sunday 4 September 2011 11am 3pm Craiglockhart Campus Come along to our Welcome event! Enjoy the festival atmosphere as you are introduced to Edinburgh Napier University and find out about all the fun and support we offer to new students. Includes stalls, workshops, music and much more. To find out more go to: www.napier.ac.uk/welcome

Greetings from Edinburgh Before you arrive Your new home SENIC Visa and immigration advice Advice and assistance on UK immigration Travelling to Edinburgh Exploring the UK Our accommodation Route Planner Looking for accommodation Student finance When you arrive Matriculation Freshers Week and Napier Students Association Studying at Edinburgh Napier Online resources Computing Resources Our Libraries Study support Studying in the UK for the first time? Study Skills Student Mentoring Confident Futures Personal support Campuses Living in Edinburgh
Student Employment Insurance Registering with a Doctor Staying in contact
1 1 3 3 4 13 17 23 25 26 29 33 43 43 45 47 49 55 55 57 58 59 61 63 65 69 71 71

73 73 74

Contacts and further information

Greetings from Edinburgh!

Congratulations on your offer to come and study with us at Edinburgh Napier University in Scotlands beautiful and historic capital city. We are delighted that you have chosen to pursue your studies with us and we want to make your time here as happy and rewarding as possible. This guide will help you to understand what you need to do before you arrive and what to expect during your first few weeks. It also contains useful information on a whole range of services on offer from the University, designed to help you find your way and settle in to student life. We hope you are looking forward to studying with us; were certainly looking forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh Napier University.

Welcome & induction

Edinburgh Napier University is a lively, welcoming and modern university that prides itself on putting your needs at the heart of everything it does. We know that for all our students, choosing to study at university is a big decision but for our international students its an even bigger step. Youre choosing to move to a new country, live in a new city and study in a different language so its inevitable that you will have some questions. The following information will, we hope, answer many of the questions you might want to ask as you make the transition to Edinburgh Napier.

tion ur Induc arrive where yo d ou when an Before y find out plete closed to ide, com


r en h this gu the lette r.ac.uk) losed wit Check s@napie . Form enc to: idcard be held n Card will ail a jpg triculatio n the Ma hotograph (or em with Retur tp . travelling spor ngements e airline youre ith a pas w el arra your trav e allowance of th Make need this ggag e lu ase you Check th cordingly! gage in c g ac of your lu and pack ontents this with t of the c a lis and keep Make rposes. and visa nce pu ed). ssport (if requir for insura copy of your pa certificate you are taking. hoto p is . berculos Take a our own records ugs owing: Tu ny prescribed dr in your first you for y k the foll A spend ired). to pac f requ orget BP) to D ont f ion certificates (i e UK currency (G som cinat Vac s and cheque Travellers s. few week

consider dents to tional stu a ise intern rance. we adv avel insu for full details surance In al and tr erson elcome health, p r.ac.uk/w ww.napie and activities. w Go to ts page 33). me even fees (see ge 25). h of welco t of your t in touc en e pa p and ge ise paym ommodation (se ook grou c Organ eb ac dent Fac ise your Organ International Stu rmation ur . elpful info Join o students k/getready for h er new h c.u with oth need suc .napier.a ity. r special out www study at univers Check any othe l health difficulty r its like to ave a disability o , or menta on what ity team h condition l Needs & Divers w if you edical us kno ific m ecia k Let ct the Sp ia, a spec pier.ac.u as dyslex 5). You can conta ail: support@na e 6 r em (see pag 5 2929 o (0)131 45 on +44

Your New Home

If you are new to Edinburgh, youre in for a treat! Scotlands inspiring capital is an exciting place to live and study. With streets steeped in history and a thriving cultural scene (including the worlds largest arts festival), Edinburgh offers something for everyone. Clean, compact and safe, Edinburgh tops the list of European cities where people would most like to live. It has a diverse, multicultural population and its four universities (and around 100,000 students) make Edinburgh a respected place of learning and one of the most student-friendly cities in the UK. Stay for the summer and experience the largest arts festival in the world as Edinburgh becomes home to thousands of tourists, performers and the internationally renowned International Arts festival and Fringe. Your new home has something for everyone and is small enough that you can see the sights, shop till you drop and experience the nightlife all without catching a bus. Youll soon see it for yourself; dont forget to bring your camera! If youd like to find out more before you arrive, check out: www.list.co.uk www.timeout.com/edinburgh www.theoracle.co.uk www.edinburgh.org www.edinburghguide.com www.scotland.org www.edinburghinspiringcapital.com Students at Edinburgh Napier International Club (SENIC) SENIC offers you the chance to enjoy social events and tours during your time at Edinburgh Napier University. Youll have the chance to explore parts of Scotland on guided tours and enjoy some of the beautiful scenery and sights, as well as learning some of the history and culture of Scotland. SENIC is for ALL Edinburgh Napier University students on campus. You will be able to join the club during your first week at Edinburgh Napier University, or by simply coming to Admissions & International Support at Merchiston Campus. Becoming a SENIC club member costs 2 for the year and entitles you to discount rates on all trips. Our trips are extremely popular and you can choose from trips to the Highlands, Loch Lomond, Stirling, St Andrews and more.

Visa and immigration advice

Preparing to study in another country is an exciting prospect but if you are a non-EU international student, there are a number of processes you must go through. One of the first things to do is ensure that you have a valid passport with the correct Entry Clearance (commonly known as a visa) allowing you to travel to the UK to study. Bulgarian and Romanian students If you are a Bulgarian or Romanian citizen we strongly recommend that you apply to the Home Office after you arrive in the UK for a student registration certificate using form BR1. The certificate confirms your right to live in the UK as a student and work here on a part-time basis whilst you are studying. Please note that you cannot start part-time work without a certificate.


Please ensure that you have a valid passport if you need to get a new one or if your current passport needs to be renewed, do this as soon as possible as the process can take several months. In some countries passports are gradually being renewed/updated so that they meet new international standards. The new passports will be machine readable and contain encoded biometric information.

Non-EU international students

Non-EU international students must apply under Tier 4 of the new Points Based System as set out by the UK Border Agency (UKBA). If you have any other status, please contact Admissions & International Support.

What is Tier 4?

European Students

European Economic Area (EEA) citizens (all EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) have the right to free movement and residence in the UK. EEA students do not require a visa; however, you will need to show your passport or ID card in order to gain entry to the UK.

Tier 4 is the points based immigration route for non-EEA students, which was introduced at the end of March 2009. All students applying to come to the UK will be subject to Tier 4 conditions. The requirements for Tier 4 are still subject to change at short notice. You must read the latest UKBA Tier 4 guidance before making an application under Tier 4: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ studyingintheuk/adult-students/ can-you-apply/

Points required for entry clearance/ visa renewal under Tier 4 In order to apply for a Tier 4 visa you must have a total of 40 points. You should obtain your 40 points by providing with your application: CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance A of Studies) number issued by Edinburgh Napier University = 30 points; and vidence of appropriate E maintenance = 10 points. You then need to show that you have enough money to pay for your course fees and for your living expenses when you apply for a Tier 4 visa. The amount you need to show depends on your circumstances. Students coming to Edinburgh Napier University require 600 per month (5,400 for nine months) plus 400 per month per dependant (3,600 for nine months) up to a maximum of nine months and evidence that you have sufficient funds to pay the remainder of your course fees. These funds must have been available in your bank account for the full 28 days prior to your application and should not have dropped below the required level during those 28 days. You should be aware of these requirements and ensure that your funds are sufficient at the time of application.

Personal funds can be demonstrated through: nstant access bank statements in I your name (including your name as a joint account holder); letter confirming a loan in A your name; and fficial financial or O government sponsorship. All applicants must sign a declaration stating that the funds they present in order to meet the maintenance requirement, are genuinely available for use in coming to the UK to study. Please note that you cannot use shares, bonds, pension funds or savings accounts as proof of personal funds. Overseas funds must be converted in to pounds sterling (GBP) using the online exchange rate calculator: www.xe.com Bank statements from parents can be used, but please see Tier 4 guidance for specific criteria for the use of parental bank statements: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ studyingintheuk/adult-students/ can-you-apply/ Please note that as your sponsor the University takes responsibility for you coming to the UK to study. The University is not a financial sponsor.

What is a CAS?

A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) is a unique identification number issued to the university by UKBAs electronic sponsor management system. This number confirms that UKBA has given the University permission to sponsor your Tier 4 application. If you apply for your Tier 4 visa using an Edinburgh Napier University CAS, your Tier 4 visa will only be valid for study at Edinburgh Napier University.

How and when will I receive my CAS?

Postgraduate and Undergraduate students After you receive your unconditional offer and pay your 3,000 prepayment, Edinburgh Napier University Admissions team will send you a CAS statement. Your CAS statement will be emailed to you in a PDF document. Non-EU exchange and Study Abroad students Your CAS will be emailed to you in a PDF document along with your unconditional offer. Please check the details in this document carefully and advise the Admissions team at Edinburgh Napier University immediately if any of the details are incorrect. It is vital that your personal details, such as date of birth and passport number are correct.

What information will be in my CAS statement? Your CAS statement will contain the following: Your 14 digit CAS number dinburgh Napier University E Sponsor Licence number our name, date of birth and Y passport number Your course title Your course start and end dates Details of your tuition fees due etails of any fees paid D to the University etails of any known financial D sponsorship of your studies (eg fees paid by your home institution etc) he criteria we have used to assess T your eligibility for your course. You MUST include appropriate documentation with your Tier 4 application, plus any translations as appropriate. When should I apply for my Tier 4 visa? You can begin your Tier 4 application using your CAS no more than three months before the start date of your course. Please ensure you begin the process as soon as you can within the three month timescale to ensure that you have your visa in time to travel to the UK for the start of your course. How do I apply for my Tier 4 general visa? Go to the UK Visas website www.ukvisas.gov.uk for information on the application process for your country. Follow the guidance given at the start of this section.

What should I do when I have my Tier 4 visa?

Your visa will be issued for study at Edinburgh Napier University only. If you change your mind about studying at Edinburgh Napier University after your visa is issued, you will need to request that your visa is cancelled and you will need to re-apply for your Tier 4 visa using a new CAS from a different Tier 4 institution. It is a criminal offence to register at an institution if your visa has been issued for study elsewhere. Make sure you arrive in the UK in plenty of time for the start of your course, but do not attempt to travel to the UK before your visa is valid. Avoid travelling to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, as there is no immigration control between the two countries and your visa will not be activated on arrival in the UK.

Please ensure you register for your course (known as matriculation) during the required period. If you do not, you will be reported to the UK Border Agency as a no-show, under the new reporting regulations. This will result in your visa being cancelled.

Are you already in the UK?

If you are already in the UK with Entry Clearance/Leave to Remain/Visa as a student, you will need to extend this to continue your studies. If you are already in the UK under any other type of immigration category, you may have to return home to apply for fresh Entry Clearance overseas please contact Admissions & International Support for advice. Please be aware that as a condition of your Tier 4 visa, the University will be monitoring your attendance and it will then be reported to the UK Border Agency.

Length of your Student Visa According to the published immigration guidelines, student visas should be issued as follows:

Course lasting:
12 months or longer Six months or more (but less than 12 months) Pre-sessional course of less than six months Non pre-sessional course of less than six months If your visa is not issued in accordance with these guidelines you have the right to ask the British Embassy/High Commission which issued the visa to

Visa issued for:

Length of course plus four months Length of course plus two months Length of course plus one month Length of course plus seven days

correct the error. You can speak to Admissions & International Support for advice after you arrive: www.napier.ac.uk/international

From July 2011, you will not be able to bring family to the UK with you unless: ou are taking a course, which y is 12 months long or more; and ou are a postgraduate y student or a governmentsponsored student. This should not apply to you if you are already in the UK with family and need to make an immigration application to extend your stay in the UK.


The process of applying together is straightforward but things are more complex if your family apply after you have been issued with your Student Visa. The application fee for Student Dependent Visas is 255 (paid in local currency). Your family has to follow the instructions given on the UK Visas website for the Students category and they need to apply for visas using VAF3. Your family will be granted visas for the same length of time as you are. For further guidance, please see: www.ukcisa.org.uk

Application form

All applications must be made on the correct form issued by the Home Office. Applications which are not made on the correct form are not valid and will be returned to you. Forms can be obtained from: Admissions & International Support, Merchiston Campus; he Home Office website: t www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk; or y telephoning the Home Office b Application Forms Unit on 0870 241 0645

Extending your stay in the UK

The endorsement in your passport will show how long you can stay in the country. You are normally given permission to remain as a student for the whole length of your course or for at least 12 months (unless you are on a short course lasting less than six months). If you need to stay longer than the period endorsed in your passport, please apply to the Home Office in the UK at least six weeks (preferably earlier than this) before your permission to stay expires. If you apply after your permission to stay has expired and the Home Office refuses your application, you cannot appeal against this decision and you must leave the UK immediately.

Application fee

The Home Office charges a fee to process your application. Applications made in person to the Public Enquiry Office in Liverpool or Croydon are usually processed the same day while postal applications can take weeks to process. The current application fees are: ostal leave to remain applications P will cost 386 plus 193 for each dependant applied for at the same time. n person applications will cost I 702 plus 351 for each dependant applied for at the same time.


Making an application

To extend your stay (and that of any family members who are here with you) you can: se the Student Batch Scheme U introduced by the Home Office where Admissions & International Support at Edinburgh Napier sends the forms and supporting documents to a special Home Office Unit for fast-track processing. ake an appointment to go in M person to the Public Enquiry Office in Glasgow. Call 0870 606 7766 for an appointment.

end the form and originals of S all relevant documents by Special Delivery to the postal address on the form. Please note that Admissions & International Support will not be able to track the progress of your application if you choose this option. Further information about the Student Batch Scheme is available from Admissions & International Support: internationalsupport@napier.ac.uk

Please note that all fees are correct at the time of printing but may be subject to change. The UK Border Agency website provides up-to-date information: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk


Advice and assistance on UK immigration

Before you arrive and while you are studying with us, specialist advice on immigration issues is available from Admissions & International Support. If you experience any immigration problems please email: internationalsupport@napier.ac.uk Admissions & International Support provide immigration advice and services to prospective students, current students and recent graduates as well as to their spouses and other dependent family members. The designated advisors in Admissions & International Support are the only staff at the University who are authorised to provide immigration advice. They are regulated by the Immigration Services Commissioner which guarantees the competence of advisors and ensures the quality of the advice or assistance provided. Further details about the Immigration Services Commissioner is available at: www.oisc.gov.uk You can also obtain immigration advice from your local British Council office or by looking at the website for the British Embassy or High Commission in your country. In some countries, Edinburgh Napier University has appointed local partners/agents and you can consult them regarding UK immigration problems: www.napier.ac.uk/international

Police Registration
This requirement is usually imposed on non-Commonwealth students (other than EU, US and Japanese nationals) who have been admitted to the UK for a period of more than six months. Please check your visa, which will tell you whether or not this is a requirement. Nationals of the following countries need to register with the Police: Afghanistan Algeria Argentina Armenia Azerbaijan Bahrain Belarus Bolivia Brazil PR China (including the Special Administrative region of Hong Kong) Colombia Cuba Egypt Georgia Iran Iraq Israel Jordan Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Korea (North) Kuwait Lebanon Libya

Moldova Morocco Oman Palestine Peru Qatar Russia Saudi Arabia Sudan Syria Tajikistan Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan United Arab Emirates Ukraine Uzbekistan Yemen You must register with the Police within seven days of your arrival in the UK.


At your appointment, you will need to bring: your passport; a passport-sized photograph; he unconditional offer letter of t acceptance from the University; the fee of 34 (cash only); and letter from your sponsoring a company or organisation (if applicable). Please note that an additional fee of 34 is charged for an accompanying spouse or civil partner, who must also attend to register, but there is no fee for children under the age of 16. Following your initial appointment you will be asked to return at a pre-arranged time (usually within two three weeks) to collect your Registration Certificate.

The Nationality Department at the Police Headquarters is open Monday Friday 9am 12.30pm at: The Nationality Department Lothian and Borders Police Headquarters Fettes Avenue Edinburgh EH4 1RB Tel: +44 (0) 131 311 3171 Web: www.lbp.police.uk Following registration, in accordance with the 1971 Immigration Act, you must inform the Police within seven days if there is a change to your circumstances, including: change of address change of studies if you are granted an extension to your leave to remain. Please note that updates to your Police Registration Certificate may be made at any local Police Station.



Travelling to Edinburgh
Edinburgh Airport Welcome Service
The Airport Welcome Service will operate as follows:

Arriving late at night

Trimester 1

Thursday 1 Sunday 4 September 2011 | 8.30am 8.30pm

Trimester 2

Saturday 14 Sunday 15 January 2012 | 8.30am 8.30pm Admissions & International Support at Edinburgh Napier will be working with a transport company called Edinburgh Napier Direct who will be at Edinburgh Airport on these dates to help you arrive safely in Edinburgh and find your accommodation. The Welcome Team will be in the Domestic Arrivals hall at the airport and ready to meet you (TBC). To take advantage of this service, you need to complete an online application form at: www.edinburghnapierdirect.co.uk For further information, email: info@edinburghnapierdirect.co.uk

If you are arriving late at night then remember to book a place with our transport company Edinburgh Napier Direct who will take you to your accommodation. You can only use this service if you have completed an online application. If you have not booked accommodation you can try and get accommodation for the night in one of the many youth hostels in the city. The largest youth hostel in Edinburgh is: Edinburgh Central Hostel, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH7 4AL Tel: +44 (0)131 524 2090 Email: edinburgh.central@syha.org.uk Web: www.edinburghcentral.org

Arriving in Edinburgh
From outside the UK As this is your first port of entry into the UK you will go through immigration and customs control here.


Via the Irish Republic

Non-EU international students should avoid travelling to the UK via Dublin. The Irish Republic has a Common Travel Agreement with the UK, meaning your entry clearance cannot be validated on arrival in Edinburgh from Dublin. Although you will receive a stamp in your passport which will be valid for three months, it does not validate your entry clearance in full. This means that you must ensure you get your entry clearance stamp validated before the three months expire. The only way to do this would be to travel to another European city and show evidence of your arrival in the UK by providing your boarding pass and air tickets between Dublin and Edinburgh. You will not be permitted to undertake any work until your stamp has been validated.

From another UK airport

If you arrive from any other airport in the UK you will have gone through immigration already and will only need to collect your luggage. rom London F You can fly to Edinburgh from London and there are many cheap airlines offering great deals.

Flights take approximately one hour. Buses also leave from Heathrow airport and Victoria Coach Station in London. These take 9-10 hours and cost around 30. From Glasgow If you arrive at Glasgow Airport you will need to take two buses to get to Edinburgh Arriva operates the Glasgow Flyer shuttle bus (service 500) from the airport to Buchanan Street bus station in Glasgow city centre. It runs approximately every 10 minutes and costs approximately 4.50 oneway. The journey takes around 25 minutes. From Buchanan Street bus station, you can use the Citylink bus (service 900) to St Andrew Square in Edinburgh city centre. It runs approximately every 15 minutes and costs just over 5. The journey takes around 90 minutes. You can also travel by train from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley (city centre) or to Edinburgh Haymarket, which is about 10 minutes from the city centre.


Passport control

The Immigration Officer will want to see that your documents are in order; that your passport is up-to-date; check your landing card and visa/ entry clearance. It is important that you have evidence of financial support, your University offer letter and your accommodation confirmation (if required), ready for inspection.

You can choose to travel by taxi, and whilst this is the most direct way, it is also the most expensive. Alternatively, the airport operates Airlink buses which travel regularly to the city centre. The bus currently costs 3.50 for a one-way journey and takes approximately 30 minutes. You could then take a taxi from the centre of Edinburgh to your accommodation. Airlink: www.flybybus.com

Airport security

It is possible that you may be stopped and asked some additional security questions. If there are any problems, or if you have any concerns on arrival regarding your passage through immigration/passport control, ask the Immigration Officer to contact Admissions & International Support on +44 (0) 131 455 4701 during office hours (9am 5pm Monday to Friday).


Before you leave home, take your time and pack carefully. Make sure your luggage is clearly labelled with your name and your address in Edinburgh and do not pack valuables in your suitcases. If you must bring valuables with you, carry them in your hand luggage. Please check the baggage allowance of the airline you will be travelling with and try to ensure that your luggage doesnt weigh more than the stated allowance. If it does, you will be charged extra when you check in your bags at the airport. Please be aware that there are also strict restrictions on the amount and size of hand luggage that you can carry onto an airplane and most airlines restrict this to one piece per passenger.

Bus travel to Edinburgh

We advise you to take advantage of our Airport Welcome Service. This will make your move to Edinburgh and your introduction to the University much less stressful. However, if you cant arrive while the Welcome Service is operating, travelling into the city centre is very easy. Make sure you know the full address of where you are going to be living and that you have sterling cash (GBP) to pay for your journey.



If you plan to travel by bus or coach when you arrive in the UK then you need to be very aware of the amount of luggage you will be carrying. Only take what you can carry on your own. Remember, never allow strangers to carry your bags and never leave bags unattended even for a few seconds. When packing, make sure you keep the following in your hand luggage: assport, travel documents p and tickets; warm clothing; ritish currency including smaller B denominations which may be useful for onward travel (GBP); travel insurance documents; ist of contents of your main l luggage (in case your luggage gets lost); ny prescribed medication a (plus a letter from your doctor explaining what it is); ddress, telephone number a and travel instructions to your final destination; and ocuments for d immigration purposes.

Luggage collection

Once you have cleared passport control you will have to collect your luggage. Baggage collection points are clearly signposted. You will then go through customs. If you have nothing to declare then you should choose the green channel. Please be aware that Customs Officers have the right to inspect your luggage.



Exploring the UK

Edinburgh has excellent transport links and is well served by trains, buses and flights connecting you to the rest of the UK and to continental Europe. When you are studying at Edinburgh Napier, why not use the holidays to travel and explore other parts of the UK? Rail: Edinburgh Waverley railway station, in the city centre, operates regular services to and from most major cities in the UK. If you are between 16-25, purchase a Young Persons Rail Card, currently 26. This is valid for one year and entitles you to discounted travel: www.railcard.co.uk Coach/Bus: The two main coach operators in Scotland are Scottish Citylink and Megabus. Full details of routes and timetables are available on their websites: www.citylink.co.uk www.megabus.com Flights: There are many airlines operating flights which link the main cities in the UK and the rest of Europe. If you plan ahead, you can find excellent deals with budget airlines: www.easyjet.com www.jet2.com www.ryanair.com www.flybe.com

Exploring outside the UK If you have a student visa, you should be aware that it is a multiple entry visa which allows you to travel home or visit other countries. You will need to check the visa regulations however, for any other countries you visit as your student visa only relates to the UK.

Schengen Visas

Within the European Union, 24 countries currently have an arrangement called the Schengen Agreement concerning common border controls. These are: Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden

When you apply for a Schengen Visa, you are expected to have at least three months left on your UK visa from the date that you leave the Schengen area, so plan any visit well in advance.



Our accommodation
Finding a safe and suitable place to live is extremely important, particularly if you are new to Edinburgh.

Flat Developments

What accommodation is available?

ll Edinburgh Napier University flats A were built in the mid 1990s we have 958 beds in self-catered cluster flats of mainly four, five or six persons. e have a limited number of flats W which are mixed gender. The majority are single gender flats. ll students have their own single A study bedroom along with shared kitchen/living area, shower room and toilets. ll bedrooms with the exception of A Wrights Houses have wash hand basins in the rooms. e also have a 70 bed allocation in W brand new accommodation, run by a private provider called iQ. These spaces are in self-catered cluster flats and are all en-suite. ll the flats are within 10-15 minutes A of the city centre. They are close to local shops, supermarkets, cinemas and local amenities. They are all on good bus routes to the campuses. ll flats are within walking and A cycling distance of each other.

23 Fountainbridge, EH3 9QG and 16, 1 18 & 20 West Tollcross, EH3 9QN Suitable for first year/ direct entrant undergraduates (21 years and under). 1-15 Riego Street, EH3 9BL Suitable for first year/direct entrant undergraduates (21 years and under). 8 & 34 Wrights Houses, Barclay 2 Terrace, EH10 4HR Mainly for students aged 21-22 years old. & 7 Morrison Circus, EH3 8DW 6 Suitable for postgraduates. 7 & 9 West Bryson Road, EH11 1EH Suitable for nursing students and students aged 22 and over. iQ 71, 75 & 77 Grove Street, EH3 8FG Suitable for first year/direct entrant undergraduates. For all other questions, to see where our accommodation is situated or take an online tour, please visit: www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation


ro fL

Route Planner
eit h Wa te

ton avels


ille St

en S

rge St

0 A9
Rd Belford







hine Rd

Haymarket Terrace

s er lm Pa n to Pl

Lothian Rd

Castle Riego Street

G sm ras

Morrison St



Grove St

Lauriston P

Morrison Circus Fountainbridge/West Tollcross

Pl ac e

Western Approach Rd


West Bryson Road

lw Po



h art

rr Te










lm Gi

d hG




Wrights Houses




rch ist on e Av


Lo an
thea rn R d

Na pie

Ter r

To Sighthill Campus
Rd rd

Po lwa

Sl ate fo





on Rd



t olin

Morningside Rd

Newbattle Terr

42 Colinton Rd
Myreside Rd

Oswald Rd


n Lane

ca Bal





iv e Dr orningsid
1.5 miles


G luny





Merchiston West Bryson Road Fountainbridge/ West Tollcross Wrights Houses Riego Street Glenlockhart Morrison Circus Grove Street (iQ) 1.5 milesenba Gre 1.5 miles

Craighouse 2 miles 3 miles 2 miles 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles

Sighthill 4 miles 5.5 miles 5.5 miles 5 miles 4.5 miles 5.5 miles

2e miles nk Driv miles 3.5


2.5 miles 1.5 miles


5 miles


0 0


1.5 miles

n Rd

3 miles 3 miles

3.5 miles


500m mile



Can I apply for University accommodation? ur flats are allocated to full-time O first year and direct entrant undergraduates. pecific spaces are available to S postgraduate students spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis. Other eligibility rules apply. ou must have firmly accepted an Y unconditional firm offer from Edinburgh Napier University before you can apply for accommodation. ou must live out with the Y EH postcode. ou must have obtained entry Y clearance if you are a non-EU overseas student. f you an international student and I require a visa to study in the UK, you must send the Accommodation Office a copy of your visa by 15 August. Your reserved accommodation may be reallocated if you cannot do so. ou must be unaccompanied not Y bringing any dependants, such as a partner and/or children. Some spaces are available for students with special needs. Please email accommodation@napier.ac.uk to discuss. or full-time single first year and F direct entrants starting in September we will guarantee you accommodation if we receive your online application and pre-payment by 5pm on Monday 22 August 2011. f you are starting in January 2012 I there will be limited spaces available in our accommodation. Please apply

online as soon as possible as places are allocated on a first come first served basis. pplications from care leavers are A welcome. We will accept applications irrespective of where you are currently living. Other eligibility rules apply. lease be aware that most students P who come to Edinburgh Napier University for a semester are NOT eligible to apply for University accommodation. However, if you are coming as an exchange or Study Abroad student from North America, contact studyabroad@napier.ac.uk regarding your accommodation. If you miss the guarantee date of 22 August, please do still apply as University accommodation may still be available. We will also be able to assist you to find accommodation in the private sector if our own accommodation is fully allocated. If you are not eligible to apply, you can ask to be put on our waiting list. You will also be given information and advice on finding accommodation in the private sector please refer to our private sector information on our website: www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation How do I apply? f you meet all the eligibility I criteria on the previous page you can apply online now at: www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation ou will need your Edinburgh Napier Y Number (the eight digit number in the enclosed letter) to give you access to our online application system.

ou must have your own email Y address to be able to apply. ou will be asked to pay a 500 Y pre-payment (400 advance rent payment and 100 deposit refundable at the end of the session). Please check www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation for up-to-date deposit costs and details of the online application system. ou will be asked to send in a Y Guarantor Form and set up a rent payment schedule to allow us to collect the rest of your rent payments during the session. Once we have accepted your application and we have received your pre-payment, you will be sent details of where you will be staying, when and where you can collect the keys, details of the online induction, and a copy of the tenancy agreement (you will be required to sign the actual tenancy agreement when you collect your keys).

Private Sector Accommodation

Not eligible for University accommodation? Want to stay in your own flat in the private sector? Information and advice is available on our website www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation or by dropping in to our Accommodation Support Service Helpdesk from 22 August (more details at the link above). evote sufficient time to looking D for accommodation. Private sector accommodation is plentiful but there are lots of students from

the four universities within the city looking at the same time. It can be useful to try and find your flatmates before you find a flat. Find friends with similar budgets and start your flat-finding search together. ww.edinburghstudentpad.co.uk w advertises properties and lodgings traditionally rented out to students. Here you will also find a section for students advertising for flatmates. Please note that we do not inspect these flats and cannot guarantee suitability. isit Edinburgh before the start of V the session to secure accommodation. Book into a short term hostel while you look for accommodation for the rest of the session. Information on short-term accommodation including local hostels can be found at: www.edinburgh.org lways view properties before A making any commitment and before handing over any money. ake sure that you get receipts M for all money and deposits you hand over and that everything you agree to is in writing. lways check what is included A in the property. heck that the property has the C appropriate certificates, for example current gas safety certificate if applicable and a HMO licence if there are three or more persons in the flat. emember that you will be asked R to sign a tenancy agreement which is a legally binding document.

Looking for accommodation

Where do I start?
There are a number of letting agencies in Edinburgh who can help you search for suitable accommodation. There will however, be a fee for this service so always find out what this is before you ask for help. You can get advice regarding your rights and the responsibilities of any property agent from the Napier Students Association: www.napierstudents.com Look out for advertisements on campus or in local newspapers and join our Facebook group Edinburgh Napier Students Flat Finder, which was set up to help put you in touch with other new students studying here. Have a look and see if you can find some flatmates before you leave home! cheaper areas to rent in; however, it is located on the other side of Edinburgh from the University. You can download a very good City Centre map of these areas at: www.edinburgh.org/traveltips/maps

How much will it cost?

Most flats cost 250 - 400 a month per person, depending on their size and location. This does not include gas/electricity bills, which are typically 25-50 a month per person. Most flats require a deposit and one months rent in advance. Make sure you obtain a receipt for all financial transactions from your landlord.

Can I get a short-term lease?

Where should I look?

Some of the areas most popular with Edinburgh Napier students include Tollcross, Fountainbridge, Bruntsfield, Marchmont, Morningside, Polwarth and Newington. Gorgie and Dalry are also close to our campuses. Leith is another popular location for our students, and is one of the

If renting from a letting agency it is likely that you will have to choose a six or 12-month long lease. Renting from a private owner instead, or moving in with other people that already have a flat, will give you more flexibility to choose how long you stay. It is very common for travellers and backpackers to come to Edinburgh to work for short periods, so there are many of these kinds of arrangements available.



Ive moved in; now what?

Utilities You need to read and record the electric and gas meters when you move in and where appropriate, register the bills in your name. The easiest way to do this is over the phone or on the providers website. Internet Broadband internet is very affordable and can be obtained from many different service providers such as Virgin Media, O2, and BT. Bills ecide with your flatmates whose D name will go on the bills (gas, electricity, internet, TV, etc). We recommend that you put the bills in the name of the person who will leave last. Also, set up a payment system and decide how each person is going to pay. Make sure everybody agrees and that there are no surprises. Pay the agreed deposit and rental payments on time and in the event of genuine difficulties inform the landlord. Inventory Its a good idea to make a list of the contents of the flat with the owner before you move in. This may prevent disputes later.

Council Tax Students undertaking a course of full-time study are normally exempt from paying Council Tax. At the start of each term we send notification of all our matriculated students to the City of Edinburgh and Fife Councils. If you are resident in another council area, you may need us to sign an exemption form to prove your student status. Forms are available from individual Councils and can be signed by Student & Academic Services please email enquiries@napier.ac.uk for more information. Single-semester students, who are studying at Edinburgh Napier University for less than six months, will have to pay Council Tax. Costs vary depending on the area in which you live but could range from 80 140 a month. If this might apply to you, make sure you know how much the rate of Council Tax is when viewing potential properties.



Student Finance
One of the biggest challenges youll face as a student is managing your finances. Before you leave for the UK, do your research, look at how much things cost, think about a budget and come to Edinburgh prepared and aware of the cost of living in Scotlands capital city. Full-time undergraduate students domiciled in Scotland (as defined by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland) or in other European Union countries outside the United Kingdom, who do not already have a degree and who are studying at a publicly funded institution in Scotland for the first time, are eligible to have the costs of their annual tuition fees paid by the Scottish Executive through the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). You must apply each year to SAAS for the payment of your tuition fees even if you are not applying for any other means of support. Students who live in Scotland or the EU should apply online now at www.saas.gov.uk

Fee Status

You are advised to ensure that you know your fee status, as summarised below, before enrolling on a programme of study: 1. Home/EU 2. Isle of Man/Channel Islands 3. International Further information and advice on the definition of status for fee purposes is available from the UK Council of International Student Affairs: www.ukcisa.org.uk

Tuition Fees

All students

The fee structures for students studying courses in 2011/12 are available online. Depending on the type of course youre studying, visit: www.napier.ac.uk/ugfees www.napier.ac.uk/pgfees www.napier.ac.uk/internationalfees www.napier.ac.uk/parttimefees

If you dont have confirmation of any level of payment of fees by your sponsor (government or other), by the time you matriculate, youll be invoiced for full payment. Also, please note that fees are usually expected to increase annually, normally in line with inflation. Edinburgh Napier University requires payment of tuition fees in full prior to or at matriculation. You will have received notification of the amount due in your Tuition Fee Statement letter. Alternatively a payment plan must be set up prior to or at matriculation.


Payment Plan options are: 1. 50 per cent at enrolment and the balance in January; 2. Three payments in October, January and March; or 3. Six monthly payments from October to March. These can be arranged by: 1. Recurring Card Payments an online facility to set up payment plans with debit or credit card; 2. irect Debit Scheme available to D self funding students with a suitable UK Bank or Building Society account and a fee assessment of more than 100.

Fee Deposits

We require a non-refundable deposit of 3,000 prior to or at matriculation where annual fees are in excess of 6,500.

Prompt Payment Discount

A discount of 150 for full payment made 30 days prior to matriculation will be allowed for self-funded students with annual tuition fees in excess of 6,500 (with the exception of Collaborative Students).


How can I pay?

1. Online with your debit or credit card please make a payment at: www.napier.ac.uk/epay 2. Cheques and bankers drafts in Pounds Sterling should be made payable to Edinburgh Napier University (Fees). They should have your name; address and Edinburgh Napier number printed on the reverse and should be sent to: Fees Office, Finance Services, Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill Campus, Sighthill Court, Edinburgh, EH11 4BN, Scotland, UK. 3. Bank Transfer please ensure you include your full name and your Edinburgh Napier number. Our bank details are: Name: Royal Bank of Scotland Address: 206 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh, EH10 4DF Sort code: 83-18-25 Account Number: 00261075 Account Name: Edinburgh Napier University Tuition Account If your payment is being sent from outside the United Kingdom but within the European Union you should quote the following IBAN reference: GB11 BOS 831825 00261075 BIC BOS GB2L For further information on the payment of tuition fees and payment methods available, email: fees@napier.ac.uk

Payment by a Sponsor

Students may arrange to have their fees paid by their employer or other sponsor organisation. Where an approved letter of sponsorship has been provided the students personal contribution will be adjusted accordingly. Please provide any necessary purchase order numbers from your sponsor. The sponsorship letter should be written on headed paper and returned to our Finance Office at: Finance Services Edinburgh Napier University Sighthill Campus Sighthill Court Edinburgh, EH11 4BN If you are being sponsored for more than one academic year this information will need to be updated at the start of each new academic year.

Are there any other costs I should consider?

Reassessments Annual tuition fees cover matriculation, assessment & reassessment. However, if you are required by a programme board to repeat/retake a module with attendance you will be charged for each repeat module undertaken at an appropriate fee rate.

Supplementary Modules If you wish to take any additional modules over and above your standard annual programme requirements, additional fees will be charged for each additional module. Exemptions If you have been granted any exemptions, equivalent to 50 per cent or more of your annual programme, you may be entitled to a reduction in tuition fees for the relevant academic year. Withdrawals If you formally withdraw from your course within the first four weeks of the academic session, you may be

entitled to a refund or reduction in fees. You must complete and return the relevant withdrawal documentation to your Programme Leader. Where applicable, the nonrefundable deposit will be deducted from any overall refund made. Deferrals If you have paid tuition fees for a relevant academic session and then arranged to defer your studies, incremental fees will be charged on your return into a future academic session. (If you are a non-EU international student please check the conditions of your visa as it will not normally allow you to defer your studies and remain in the UK).


What happens if I cant pay my fees?

If you think you may have trouble paying your fees please seek advice from either our Student Funding Team on studentfunding@napier.ac.uk or + 44 (0)131 455 2929 or ISAS (Independent Student Advice Service) on isas@napier.ac.uk or +44 (0)131 229 8791. Please also notify Finance Services as soon as possible.

completion letters will not be issued either, if all monies due to the University remain unpaid by student or their sponsor. Student Loans/Bursaries/Fees To be eligible to apply for financial support you must meet the residence conditions as set out in The Students Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 2007. You can find out more by visiting www.saas.gov.uk

Debt Collection Policy

The following sanctions will be taken in relation to any debt outstanding four weeks after the start of the academic year: tudents will have access to S University facilities and services withdrawn. tudents will be prevented from S submitting assessments or from taking end of trimester exams. tudents will be formally withdrawn S from the University. ontinuing students will be C prevented from progressing into their next year of study. inal year students will not be able F to attend graduation nor receive their Parchments; course

Childcare support from Edinburgh Napier

You can apply for help towards the cost of formal registered childcare through our Childcare Fund. For more information please visit www.napier.ac.uk/money

Apart from my tuition fee, how much money will I need?

We recommend that you bring at least 1,000 in travellers cheques (GBP) and some cash. You may need more than this if you are going to be living in private accommodation where you may need to pay a deposit as well as rent.



You need to ensure you have enough money to cover all your tuition fees and living expenses. Do this as soon as you can as it is virtually impossible to make arrangements for financial support once you have left your home country. You may wish to order British currency (travellers cheques) to cover your immediate needs on arrival in the UK, including any customs charges, transport fares and emergency expenses.

Please remember that applicants who owe fees of more than 6,500 must make a payment of 3,000 to receive an unconditional offer letter.

Cost of living in Edinburgh

The costs in the table below are a guide only and are based on a single persons monthly expenses. Costs will vary according to your own needs and circumstances:

Accommodation Food Travel Social Activities Clothing / Toiletries Electricity / Gas Insurance Telephone MONTHLY TOTAL

Approximate amount per month

320 360 180 200 43 100 150 60 50 10 15 20 710 805 types of cards are available on the Lothian Buses website: www.lothianbuses.com olice Registration certificate P Non-EU international students must register with the Police shortly after their arrival in the UK. The Police Registration certificate costs approximately 34.

Other costs

There will obviously be other daily expenses you will need to consider: ocal transport L Bus travel in Edinburgh currently costs 1.30 for each journey or you can buy a Student Ridacard. This costs 36 for unlimited travel for four weeks and can then be renewed. The full fares and various


Council tax If you are staying in private accommodation and are here for only one trimester, you may be required to pay this tax. Costs vary depending on the area in which you live but could range from 80 140 a month. If this might apply to you, make sure you ask how much the rate of council tax is when viewing potential properties. Childcare costs If you have a young family, please take these costs into account. www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk extbooks and stationery T Although core reading texts can be borrowed from the University library, you should allow 200250 per year to cover the cost of buying additional course materials.

Warm clothing If you come from a country with a warm climate, you should include an additional amount to cover the cost of purchasing warm clothing for the winter months. We recommend 250 for this purpose. TV licence If you have a television you will need to obtain a TV licence. A colour TV licence currently costs 145.50 and is valid for one year. The easiest way to obtain a TV Licence is online at: www.tvlicensing.co.uk You can pay by monthly direct debit. Visa extension fee Non-EEA students who need to extend their Leave to Remain (visa) in the UK will have to pay a fee to apply. The current charge is 386 for postal applications or 702 for in person applications. Admissions & International Support can help with your application and advise on the supporting documentation you will need.


How do I open a bank account?

It is unwise to bring large amounts of cash with you or to keep cash in your accommodation. Please open a bank account as soon as possible it should be one of your first priorities when you arrive in the UK as you will need a UK bank account if you want to pay your tuition fees by direct debit. Before you leave home, check with your bank in your home country whether it has a special relationship with a bank in the UK and whether it can assist you with opening a UK bank account. At some international banks, you can open an account in your home country (or online) and access the account from the UK making it easier for funds to be transferred from your home to the UK. There are two things you will need to do to open a bank account here: 1. If your chosen bank requires proof you are a student, you can request a Bank Letter from Student & Academic Services at Merchiston Campus. 2. Visit your preferred bank taking: your passport; he original unconditional offer t letter from the University; vidence of your home address e such as a bank statement (translated if possible); and vidence of your Edinburgh e address (such as a tenancy agreement from a reputable letting agency or a utility bill).

It is sometimes difficult for students to provide adequate proof of their Edinburgh address, in which case we recommend you ask us for a Bank Letter (see above). Most banks offer a basic bank account in conjunction with a savings account. This means that you will not have access to any credit facilities. Due to tightened security measures, it may take several weeks for your account to be opened so please ensure you bring enough money to cover your expenses during this time. We recommend students living in University accommodation bring around 1,000 in the form of travellers cheques in UK pounds sterling (GBP) and a small amount of cash. You may need more than this if you are going to be living in private accommodation, where you may need to pay a deposit as well as rent, or if you are accompanied by dependants. If you bring a bankers draft in sterling (GBP) with you, payable to yourself, you can open an account with it. The draft will take approximately five days to clear. Generally, you will not have to pay any charges for transferring the funds into a UK bank account, provided the funds are in sterling (GBP). However, a charge is made to transfer funds electronically.


If you are a sponsored student and your sponsor has given you a bankers draft or cheque, please note that it will not be possible to obtain cash for either of these in the UK and it will have to be paid into a bank account. Visa and Access (MasterCard, Eurocard) are widely accepted throughout the UK. They are also a useful means of establishing a credit rating.


When you arrive

Your first week at Edinburgh Napier acts as an introduction to your course and to the University and is an opportunity to get some vital (and fun!) tasks completed. q Settle in to your accommodation. q Meet your Programme Leader and fellow students at your Induction Session. q Pick up your Programme Handbook and timetable. q Attend the Welcome workshop Making a successful start or Getting Started (undergraduate) or Goal setting for success (postgraduate), designed for you and your fellow students. q Attend your matriculation session and a 30-minute introduction to the computing and library services (which includes details of how to access your Edinburgh Napier email account). q Pick up your Student Card (at your matriculation session). q Select Option modules if applicable (see page 47). q Familiarise yourself with Edinburgh. q Register with a doctor. q Set up a student (UK) bank account (if required). q Get involved with Napier Students Association (NSA) Freshers Week, especially the Freshers Fair and join any NSA clubs or societies that may interest you. Please note, a passport or drivers licence may be required as proof of age for Freshers passes. q Visit the Student Union. Starting at University can be both an overwhelming and an exciting experience. To make things easier during your first week we recommend that you follow this handy checklist:


Attending matriculation is one of the priorities during your first week at Edinburgh Napier but what is it and why do you need to go?

What is matriculation?

Matriculation is the formal process where you register with Edinburgh Napier University. It includes an introduction to the computing and library services, to show you how to use the University computer network, library systems and access your email account.


What do you need to bring to matriculation?

In order to matriculate and officially become an Edinburgh Napier student, you will need to bring: q Your Authority to Matriculate form, signed by your Programme Leader (you will get this at your Induction session) q Proof of who is paying your fees otherwise you may be expected to pay q Exam certificates the original copies of your qualifications q This guide and the accompanying letter q Your passport and visa stamp. More information about induction and matriculation can be found on our website: www.napier.ac.uk/welcome

Your Student Card

If you submit your passport photo before you arrive, you will receive your Student Card at your matriculation session. Your Student Card is essential for gaining access to university services, so you should carry it with you at all times.


A Person

If you have any problems with your new Student Card, please email idcards@napier.ac.uk

Expiry: September 2011

1. Your Matriculation number (this is the same as your Edinburgh Napier number, given in any correspondence you have received from us).

2. Expiry Date important to ensure you have access to buildings outside of core hours.

3. Your Library barcode.


Freshers Week and Napier Students Association (NSA)

As soon as you matriculate, you will automatically become a member of Napier Students Association (NSA) which looks out for your best interests and supports your needs throughout your time at University. It all starts with Freshers Week, which will welcome you to Edinburgh. Youll get a memorable introduction to student life and opportunities to meet new people and make new friends. Events and entertainment include parties, club nights, live acts, the Freshers Ball and the legendary pub crawl and youll get it all on the cheap. You will also receive your Freshers Handbook and Student Survival Guide fantastic sources of information on all aspects of student life.

Student Executive & Representation

NSA is student led by elected students, three of them working full-time for NSA. Any student can stand for election to this team and all students have the right to vote so its easy to get involved. There are also hundreds of course representatives students from every year of every course at the University. NSA will train and support you if you want to become a representative and youll be able to play a key role listening to student needs and passing them on to the University. For more information on the NSA and the activities available during Freshers Week, visit: www.napierstudents.com

Sports & Societies

There are dozens of sports clubs and student societies for you to get involved in at Edinburgh Napier. You can find out all about them from the NSA at the Freshers Fair. If your activity isnt on offer, NSA will provide advice, support and maybe even a little funding to help you get it started.



Studying at Edinburgh Napier

The Modular Scheme
All taught undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are modularised at Edinburgh Napier. This means that all programmes are composed of modules, which are usually delivered and assessed in a single trimester. Each standard module contributes 20 credits/10 ECTS towards your degree. Full-time undergraduate programmes contain three standard modules per trimester, eg six standard modules in each year of the programme (6 x 20 credits = 120 credits). An undergraduate degree with honours comprises 480 credits. A postgraduate degree comprises 180 credits. Lectures a large class (sometimes over 100 students) lasting one or two hours. The lecturer will give a general overview of a topic and you will need to take notes. Seminar small classes (usually up to 15 students). The tutor will notify students of topics in advance, and students will prepare a short presentation for discussion. The aim is for students to analyse the topic through debate. Reasoned argument is encouraged; dont be afraid to speak out, to challenge others (including the tutor!) and contribute your own ideas. Tutorial a meeting between a tutor and an individual student or small group of students. This is an opportunity for you to discuss the progress of your work and to tell the tutor about any problems you are having with a topic or with study methods. Practical Work in some courses you will have practical workshops, eg in a laboratory, intended to give you practical application of the theories. Independent study this is an integral part of our academic culture. It will help you develop key skills such as research, critical analysis and problem solving, and to develop your own ideas. Written work this may include essays, a project or a dissertation and assignment questions.


Compulsory, Core & Option Modules

Compulsory Modules are modules which you must take within your programme of study.

Core Modules are a group of modules from which you will choose one or more. Option Modules are offered from an option pool of modules determined by your programme of study. Your choices may include modules relating to your programme of study and/or modules from other disciplines which are relevant to you.

Study Methods

Edinburgh Napier uses the following methods of study to deliver your course:


FAQs These frequently asked questions will hopefully help answer some of your queries about what you can expect while you are studying here at Edinburgh Napier. How many hours will I spend each week in taught classes? Your timetable at school or college tends to be quite full. At Edinburgh Napier you may be taking three modules each trimester which might give you as little as six hours of formal taught classes each week. Your total amount of contact time varies with your course for example students in Health, Life & Social Sciences can have a fuller timetable because they have to attend labs and practical classes. Will I be expected to study in my own time? How many hours might this involve each week? Yes, the emphasis here is on independent learning that is where you work through course materials and do assignments at your own pace and in your own time. Each module you take is allocated a notional 200 hours of study. Approximately 60 of these may be attendance, but the rest 140 hours will be self directed study. You need to develop good time management skills! How will my work be assessed? We use a range of methods to assess your work. Continuous assessment includes everything from

conventional essays and reports to pieces of group work, presentations, podcasts, design projects, animation projects, portfolios and posters. There are also formal written exams at the end of each trimester. Most modules are assessed using a range of methods youll get details of these in your module handbooks at the start of each trimester. What kind of feedback will I receive on assessments? On pieces of continuous assessment you will receive a mark or a grade and feedback. This is designed to help you improve upon your performance next time around. With written exams you get a mark only; there is no written feedback. What happens if I do not pass the assessments? For each assignment and exam there will be only one resit attempt. Marks for resits are capped at the pass mark which is 40 per cent. What if I find my course is not for me? Occasionally people realise that they have made a wrong choice. Whatever your reasons, the first thing you should do is talk to someone, such as your Programme Leader, Year Tutor or Personal Development Tutor. Alternatively, speak to a Student Adviser who can offer impartial advice, guidance and support. Contact details are available on the Student Portal.


Online Resources
During matriculation you will receive an introduction to the computing and library services which will be central to your studies. This session will give you the skills to use the computing and library systems confidently how to locate the best computer suite or library for your studies, how to log on to the University network and how to use the email system & virtual learning environment (WebCT). Youll discover how to use the library catalogue, which provides access to our extensive information collections and how to get the best from them. Student Portal After you matriculate you will get access to the Student Portal, your personal gateway to our online environment. It offers secure and easy one-step access to all online resources and systems available to help you with your studies and it is the tool that lecturers will use to communicate with you. The portal can be accessed remotely wherever you are in the world to give you access to: ebCT our virtual W learning environment our personal Edinburgh Napier Y University email account Secure areas for you to store files on the University network he library system for finding T information and using electronic resources our own student records to Y matriculate in subsequent years, update your personal records and see your results Teaching and Exam Timetables Online payments N apier Students Association (NSA), school and departmental websites P owerful search functionality to search student content held on University websites. C ommunications, including University-wide news and events, NSA announcements and school announcements M y Site your personal website which you can customise and upload documents and pictures to, to share with your friends. You can create your own area to collaborate on projects, set up surveys and discussions and much more L inks to selected external electronic resources.

After matriculation you will be able to log on to any computer inside the University, click on Internet Explorer and use your Napier number to log in to the Student Portal at https://studentportal.napier.ac.uk/ Nimweb Nimweb is where all your personal details as well as your enrolment and assessment information are managed during your time at university. Accessed via the Student Portal home page, it is your


responsibility to keep your personal details up to date so make sure you notify us about any change of name or address. This is also where we publish your module results each trimester. Teaching timetable Teaching timetables are published three times a year via the Student Portal. The teaching timetable for Trimester 1 is published in May, Trimester 2 in November and Trimester 3 in January/February. Please make sure you read the instructions available online explaining how to interpret your timetable correctly.

WebCT WebCT is the online environment we use at Edinburgh Napier University for supporting learning, teaching and assessment. WebCT integrates a number of features including access to electronic documents, communication tools and assessment tools. Once you have matriculated you will automatically be registered in the WebCT system and enrolled on to the modules and programmes that use WebCT. You can then access this by logging in from any computer with an internet connection. For more information once you have matriculated, visit: https://studentportal.napier.ac.uk


In the TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Destinations 2010 survey, Edinburgh was the only UK city to feature in the top 25 places to visit in the world.




Computing Resources
At Edinburgh Napier University, you can access networked resources and WebCT through the student portal 24/7 from home or anywhere with an internet connection. Within the University we provide access to over 1,750 PCs and 150 Apple Macs across our campuses. Opening hours vary however, the 500-seat Jack Kilby Computing Centre at Merchiston Campus is open 24/7*. On campus, we provide access to: ace-to-face user support from F our Help Desks at the main campuses including over 70 hours per week from the Jack Kilby Computing Centre PCs 24/7* icrosoft Office applications M and the internet pecialised software packages, S including: CAD, project management, statistics, mathematics, computer programming, and many others to support your studies ono and colour A4 and A3 M and acetate printers i-Fi network connections W for your laptop canners and other S specialist peripherals laptop loan service from A the main campuses onvenient vending machines C selling IT essentials pecial low-priced purchase S schemes for software for your own PC. Whether on or off campus, wherever you are in the world, you will always have support by email and telephone from the central Support Desk.

Our Libraries
At university, you need to be an independent learner. Its important to be organised and plan your studies. Learning how to find and use different types of information is an integral part of university study. It can be daunting to visit an academic library for the first time, but library staff are here to help you find what you need. The libraries at Craiglockhart, Merchiston and Sighthill have collections which support the subjects taught on each campus. This means that you will find most of the books you want on your home campus, but you can also use the library catalogue to request books from other campuses.

* Trimesters 1 and 2


You will have an online induction during matriculation, and specialist subject librarians offer pro-active support during your course including lectures, drop-in sessions, workshops and hands-on computer lab sessions.

Standard loans are 28 days, but some items may only be borrowed for shorter periods of time.

Find out more

Library Catalogue

Use the Library Catalogue to search for the books on your reading list. You can also use the catalogue to renew books online, without having to visit the library. http://nuin.napier.ac.uk To help you with your study, we have: he textbooks and materials you T need for your modules, including a large collection of e-books and e-journals. lexible study spaces, with areas F for group study or individual quiet space. nline information skills guides O including subject resource guides, IN:FORM and Library Basics mail reminders when your E books are due back, so you can avoid fines. elf-service borrowing and returns, S so you dont need to queue. nquiry services offering you E personal assistance in person, on the telephone or online (email library@napier.ac.uk).

Come in and visit your library. For more details and a gateway to our online resources, see: https:// studentportal.napier.ac.uk/Library You can only borrow books and use online resources after you matriculate, but our libraries are open to anyone to visit. Before matriculation, you can also find library opening hours and details at: http://staff.napier.ac.uk/ services/library

What students say:

The team in the library are approachable and make studying a much better experience. I have never had a negative experience in coming to the library. They are always encouraging, polite, patient and they calm me down. I do most of my study here as I cannot be productive at home.


Study Support
English as a Foreign Language and In-session English If English is not your first language and you would like to improve your level we offer the following options: 1. Undergraduate EFL modules On many of our programmes you can choose English as a Foreign Language as one of the modules which you study each trimester. Modules take place during the day and are usually taught in one three-hour block each week. Enrolment is very simple and you will sit a Placement Test at the beginning of each trimester, so we can allocate you to a class at the appropriate level. The modules will help you with aspects of your English such as: Negotiation Skills Essay Writing Report Writing Debating Role playing Research Skills Business and Cultural Issues Interpreting For more information contact Vera Macdonald Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 4417 Email: v.macdonald@napier.ac.uk 2. In-session English for study support classes In addition to the EFL modules there are other free-of-charge English language support classes available if you would like to improve aspects of your English while studying your degree. The Centre for Business Languages offers the following types of tuition to registered students: Writing Workshops Presentation Skills Courses Reading Skills iscussion Skills and D Vocabulary Development Individual Help Sessions Pronunciation Laboratories In these workshops you will practice writing and get feedback that helps you to improve your knowledge and ability to the standard required at university. For more information contact Dr Nick Pilcher: Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 4731 Email: n.pilcher@napier.ac.uk


Studying in the UK for the first time?

So what is University really like? Its challenging but exciting youll be expected to really stretch yourself both as a learner and as an individual. There is less interaction with staff than at universities in your home country, and more emphasis on independent learning, so it might feel a little impersonal at first. This can be quite hard, especially if you are starting university in the second or third year, but youll soon find you meet others with common interests and settle into your new environment. Over the summer, you could: oin www.yougofurther.co.uk the J UCAS student network, to connect with other students coming to Edinburgh Napier University. ollow Edinburgh Napier University F on Facebook to see whats going on. ead up on the course you are R about to start and whats involved in the modules youll be taking on the Edinburgh Napier University website. Keep on track! It can be hard to keep your studies on track, particularly if you have other commitments, so its important to be organised, and plan your studies from the very start. Youll probably find that you have much more free time than you were expecting with fewer scheduled classes during the week. What are you supposed to do with all that extra time? At university you need to be an independent learner that means youre in charge of your studies. Organise your spare time in order to cover your reading and coursework. Set aside time in your diary for studying or research and begin those assignments in good time. At university, each assignment has a strict deadline for submission and its important to follow instructions about formatting and referencing closely. Ask for help when you need it You will experience big classes at university. At the beginning you might feel uncertain about asking questions. But no-one expects you to know everything! If youre joining year 3 or 4 of an undergraduate course, you almost certainly will have some questions. Dont be afraid to make yourself known to your tutor or module leader. Tutors will be able to give you more individual advice if you introduce yourself to them. Some tutors have times when you can drop into their office and ask for advice. They are there to help and its important to be proactive about asking for it.


Study Skills
Skills Support
Even if youre already a top student, at Edinburgh Napier there is always something new to learn about academic skills like essay writing, critical thinking, or referencing. We offer academic skills workshops to help you get the most out of your time here. Critical analysis for assessments evelop your critical thinking skills D including analysing written material, spotting faulty reasoning, and developing a more questioning reading style. Critical essay writing An advanced workshop on writing, full of hints and tips on how to write more critically, use source material in-depth and use evidence to develop logical and well-reasoned arguments. Oral presentations Showing you how to plan and deliver an informative, engaging presentation. We will discuss how to reduce stress, make good use of visuals, field questions, and captivate your audience. Referencing and plagiarism Looking at how to reference properly, including how to quote and paraphrase, and how to use the Harvard method to reference sources. We also look at what plagiarism is and, crucially, how to avoid it. Be wise, dont plagiarise! eady or not: Exam preparation R and revision Preparation is key to succeeding in exams! We discuss revision strategies, what examiners are looking for, and how to improve your exam performance. The workshops are open to everyone and are free of charge. They offer you practical, useful, and time-tested strategies applicable to nearly every aspect of your university study.

Academic skills workshops: Whats on offer?

We run a programme of Academic Skills Workshops in Trimesters 1 and 2. A typical workshop runs from one to two hours in length. They are all full of hints and tips on how to improve marks! A typical trimester will include workshops on: cientific report writing S Gain skills on how to structure and present scientific research findings in a professional scientific report. Powerpoint If you have to do a presentation or produce a poster as part of your course and would like to learn how to use Microsoft Powerpoint, this workshop is aimed at those with little or no experience of using the programme. tructuring your essays S and reports Writing your first essay or report at university can be daunting. In this workshop, learn how to unpack a question, structure an answer, and include source materials.

How do I find out more?

Full dates and times of the workshops running in each trimester will be available online once you matriculate. Watch out for announcements from academicadvisers@napier.ac.uk

Seek out information

Actively seek out information you need which isnt always easy when you dont know what you need to know! Read your course information carefully, and make the most of induction week activities. Ask library staff to help you search for information. Discuss study techniques with other students. Being independent doesnt mean being isolated.

Get ready for University Study

www.napier.ac.uk/getready is a website designed specifically for our students to access information about studying at university. Our own students feature strongly, offering useful tips and advice, and sharing their experiences of studying here.


Student Mentoring
Students often find their first year of studying at university quite challenging, because so much is new. A student mentor can offer friendly, informal support and advice to help you get up to speed with life as a university student. Our trained student mentors have already experienced university life, and are able to share their experiences with you. Your mentor can help you: settle in; set study goals and priorities; ackle the process of writing t assignments; or et ready for presentations g and exams. All of our mentors are trained students who have been studying with us for at least a year. They are people from a wide variety of age groups and backgrounds who understand the challenges you are facing when entering university from school, college or the workplace. Working with your Student Mentor, youll gain confidence in your own abilities and adjust more quickly to life at Edinburgh Napier University. For more information, please email studentmentoring@napier.ac.uk What our students said: My mentor has enabled me to have confidence in my abilities and helped me adjust to university life. My mentor was a great help with all the issues Ive been concerned about. I feel a lot more confident about things now. My mentor is such a lovely person and has made me feel welcome at Edinburgh Napier. She has introduced me to researching e-journals on the database, given me ideas on how to study and general advice about how the University works. I have gained an insight into how to apply myself to university coursework that I would otherwise not have had. One-To-One Retention Advice Service Although the majority of students find that they are studying the right course for them, occasionally people realise that they have made a wrong course or module choice, and that they would be happier studying something else. Whatever your reasons, the first thing you should do is to talk to someone. Its important to think through why you might want to change course and consider the implications of any change, financially and for your future career plans.


There are a number of people you can talk to about your concerns, including your: Programme Leader Year Tutor Personal Tutor You can also speak to a Student Adviser, who can offer advice, guidance and support especially if you would like to see someone who is impartial and outside of your programme or Faculty. Were based in Skills and Learner Development and you can make an appointment to see us on a one-to-one basis. Email: sar@napier.ac.uk If you are considering leaving your course for personal or financial reasons, staff in our Student Affairs department may be able to provide guidance, advice and practical help that will enable you stay on your course. Their contact details are at the end of this guide.


Confident Futures
Personal skills for professional development
At Edinburgh Napier, were the only university offering all our students an exciting, high quality and purposeful programme of personal development events Confident Futures. The programme is designed to help you develop your personal skills and attitudes so you can be more confident and successful, both at university and beyond. We want you to become first choice with employers. Depending on what youre studying, some Confident Futures workshops may be offered as part of your course, eg before you do your first group work assignment or before you go out on placement. All Edinburgh Napier students can book onto our open programme of workshops free of charge. Workshops include opportunities to identify and use a range of skills and tools to help you, for example: etter understand yourself b and others; e more assertive, or b communicate more effectively; anage conflict, or deal with m setbacks and change; ake on challenges, set goals, t problem solve; or efend your ideas d more effectively. To find out more about Confident Futures and see what current students are saying about us, visit: www.napier.ac.uk/confidentfutures



Personal Support
Our Careers team is here to help you throughout your journey as an Edinburgh Napier student. If youre looking for a part-time job while youre studying or if you need some help figuring out what to do after your course ends, they can help with CVs, applications or interviews and arrange regular events to help you meet employers offering real opportunities. To help with all career related queries and career planning they offer: wide range of careers workshops A to help prepare you for the world of work. ccess to key local and national A employers who come onto campus and discuss the opportunities they have for you to work with them. n online Vacancies and Events A service where you can browse over 500 opportunities and sign-up to careers events. If you want to get some specific advice from a Careers Adviser, regular drop-in sessions run at Merchiston and Craiglockhart where you can get advice on your career choices. If you find it difficult to get to a campus you can submit a careersrelated question via Ask Careers and receive a response by email. Visit Careers on the Student Portal and click on Ask Careers. Remember all these services can be accessed via the Student Portal and they are all free so make full use of them while you are at Edinburgh Napier University.

Disabilities and Specific Learning Difficulties

If you have a disability, specific learning difficulty such as Dyslexia, mental health difficulty or a medical condition and you may require support, please contact the Disability & Inclusion Team in Student Affairs as early as possible. Having early information about any needs you have will help us to put any required support in place as soon as possible. Members of the Disability & Inclusion Team can be contacted at any time during the year: Tel: +44 (0)131 455 2914/2963 Email: support@napier.ac.uk Web: www.napier.ac.uk/ specialneeds


It is particularly important you get in touch if you think you may need any of the following: dvice or information about A the support available; n assessment of your needs; A djustments to teaching or A residential accommodation; ccess to specialist technology A or equipment; Information in alternative formats; Personal assistance; pecial examination S arrangements; or elp with claiming Disabled H Students Allowance. When you get in touch, we will: end you information about the S support that is available; iscuss your support needs in D person, by phone or email; rrange a visit for you (if you wish) A to see the accommodation (teaching and residential), Assessment and Training Centre and other university facilities; rrange for you to meet relevant A staff within the Disability & Inclusion Team, the Disability Contact for your academic school, or Accommodation Officer; dvise you about specialist A assessment, access to funding and equipment; and sk you to provide evidence of your A additional support need or disability.

Fire Evacuation and Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP)

If you have a disability, long term health condition or a temporary health condition that is likely to affect how quickly and safely you can exit the University in an emergency, you will need a PEEP. For example, you will need a PEEP if you are a wheelchair user or have significant mobility, vision or hearing problems; and you may also need one in some situations, such as pregnancy or if you have a broken limb. PEEPs will be completed by the Universitys Fire Safety Officer, in discussion with you and a representative from your School. The PEEP ensures you have a clearly explained plan detailing what you need to do in the event of a fire or other emergency evacuation. For health and safety reasons, this must be completed soon after you join the University. If you think you need a PEEP and have not been contacted within four weeks of joining the University, please raise this with your Head of School. Further information on fire evacuation can be found on the student portal, under health and safety information, once you matriculate.



Our counsellors support students who have personal issues causing them concern or who are emotionally upset. Counselling is about helping you to understand life better, enabling you to live a more fulfilling and satisfying life. It is an ongoing process built on the relationship between you and your counsellor. It is the counsellors job to listen to you with complete concentration in a way that is warm, genuine and non-judgemental. You can expect your counsellor to accept what you say, to try and understand you and to be honest with you. We also offer other forms of therapy, and various self-help techniques.

related issues, such as funding and fees, debt and money management, housing and tenancies, employment and consumer rights, immigration status and benefits. ISAS advisers can access information on almost anything and where necessary refer you on to another agency. Advisers are here to listen, help you explore your options, and help you make an informed decision. Where necessary they will write letters on your behalf and/or make telephone enquiries, and accompany you to meetings and/or formal University hearings with the aim of negotiating a solution or resolving the problem.

Contact us
Tel: Email:

Independent Student Advice Service (ISAS)

What is ISAS? ISAS is the Independent Student Advice Service. It is a campus-based general advice service set up to provide Edinburgh Napier students with accurate and up-to-date information and support. As soon as you become a matriculated student here you are entitled to use this free service. Advice is provided on a wide range of course related and university issues as well as a broad range of welfare-

+44 (0)131 229 8791 isas@napier.ac.uk

Spirituality, Faith & Chaplaincy

The University chaplains offer a range of skills and experience gained in the community. As well as nonfaith related support, they can also provide spiritual direction, advice in matters of faith, opportunities for workshop and prayer, and support in times of personal crisis. They have varied experience from working in the community to advise and support you in matters such as bereavement & loss, HIV/AIDS and relationships.


The team has strong links to other disciplines and are aware of the importance of appropriate referral. Chaplains are happy to meet with you to discuss the traditional services of the Church, such as weddings and baptisms. Contact the Chaplaincy Team to discuss religious services, spiritual issues or general support: Call: +44 (0)131 455 2926 Web: www.napierchaplains.org

Crisis Support

University can be a challenging place for everyone involved. When life gets to be a bit of a struggle, and youre not sure which way to turn, our chaplains can offer confidential and non-judgemental support for as long as you need it. In particular, they can help if you are feeling lonely or isolated. Edinburgh Napier chaplains are a resource for everybody within the University for those who have a faith and those who dont. They simply aim to offer a safe place for care and support. Call the Chaplains 24-hour helpline on +44 (0)131 455 2926


Edinburgh Napier is a multi-campus university. Our main campuses are in lively student areas at Craighouse, Craiglockhart and Merchiston and in Sighthill. They offer some of the most modern teaching and learning facilities in Scotland. Craighouse, Craiglockhart, Merchiston and our student accommodation are all within easy walking and cycling distance of each other. Sighthill Campus is just a short bus ride away. All our sites are easily accessible by public transport from the city centre too.

Sighthill Campus

Sighthill Court, EH11 4BN In January 2011 the new state-of-theart Sighthill Campus opened for students in the Faculty of Health, Life & Social Sciences. It provides a modern, purpose-built, sustainable building with premier teaching and learning facilities. The cutting edge facilities include a five storey library, specialised teaching rooms, clinical skills laboratories, project rooms and research rooms. There are three modern lecture theatres and PC labs with more than 200 computers. The brand new sports facility includes a main sports hall and is suitable for a variety of team sports. There is a biomechanics laboratory for our sports science students project work and the gym is fully kitted out with the latest exercise equipment. For more information please visit: www.napier.ac.uk/sighthill

Craighouse Campus

Craighouse Road, Edinburgh, EH10 5LG Grade A-listed buildings nestle in a woodland setting. Craighouse Campus has a purpose-built library, is home to our arts and creative industries students and is linked to Craiglockhart by a scenic walk through a local nature reserve. Scottish records mention Craighouse as far back as the 12th century!

Craiglockhart Campus

Colinton Road, Edinburgh, EH14 1DJ The refurbished Craiglockhart Campus is home to The Business School. Two modern lecture theatres, a cyber cafe with its own Starbucks, language labs and computing facilities sit alongside historic B-listed buildings.


Merchiston Campus

Colinton Road, Edinburgh, EH10 5DT Merchiston Campus is a unique blend of the past and the present in Edinburghs literary quarter. It is home to both the award winning, 500-seat Jack Kilby Computing Centre, open 24/7, and the 13th century Napier Tower where John Napier was born in 1550. The Faculty of Engineering, Computing & Creative Industries can be found here. For more details and directions to any of our campuses see: www.napier.ac.uk/ aboutus/campuses


Living in Edinburgh
Student Employment
We understand that many of our students will want to work during their studies. It is important that you are aware of the rules concerning employment in the UK and can manage your time to ensure a healthy balance between work and study. International students who have a restriction stamp placed in their passports are generally permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during each trimester and full-time during vacations. Note: We recommend that you work no more than 15-20 hours per week during each trimester. You can check UKCISA for up-to-date regulations: on-EU international undergraduate N students may work full-time during Christmas, Easter and summer vacation periods. on-EU international Masters N students may work full-time during Christmas and Easter breaks only. They are not permitted to work full-time again until they have completed their course. hD students are advised to work P no more than 20 hours per week during the period of their studies. EU accession countries and employment 1. Nationals from the following countries, which joined the EU on 1 May 2004, should apply through the Worker Registration Scheme if they wish to work: Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary,

Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ workingintheuk/eea/wrs/ 2. Bulgarian and Romanian nationals should apply for a Registration Certificate on form BR1: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ workingintheuk/eea/ bulgariaromania/ 3. All other EU nationals are free to work as many hours as they can manage alongside their studies. Our Careers Service is based at Merchiston Campus, and maintains a list of job vacancies suitable for students. You can register with them once you have your matriculation number and student email account: www.napier.ac.uk/napierlife/careers

Post-Study Work

From April 2012, the Tier 1 Post-Study Work route will be closed to new applicants. This applies to all students who graduate after April 2012. Instead, students graduating with a UK degree will be able to apply for a job with a UK Border Agency licensed Tier 2 sponsor. Because the UK Border Agency are in the process of introducing these changes, please check online for up-to-date information about this option: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ workingintheuk Alternatively please contact the team at: internationalsupport@napier.ac.uk


Personal insurance You should take out adequate insurance protection to cover personal items baggage, books, personal computers, etc. Insurance can be arranged on arrival but make sure that your travel insurance continues until you have other arrangements in place. Health insurance All international students in full-time education in Scotland are eligible for National Health Service (NHS) treatment. This includes your spouse, registered civil partner and school age children (if still in full-time education). Please note that this only applies while you are studying in the UK. Proof of student status must be provided when registering with a Health Centre (your unconditional offer letter from the university, proof of ID and proof of address has to be shown). If you are a student from a European Economic Area country, you are also exempt from NHS charges as long as you have proof of status (eg passport). We recommend that you take out private medical insurance to cover the period until registration (matriculation) at the University. It

may be worth considering an additional policy, especially designed for international students, which covers your insurance needs comprehensively including repatriation costs in the event of illness. Full details of the policy offered by Endsleigh Insurance (Insurance for International Students Studying in the UK) are available online: www.endsleigh.co.uk Other companies also offer insurance policies for students so do look for the best package. Registering with a doctor If you are staying in Edinburgh for more than three months, you should register with a doctor soon after your arrival so that you can receive treatment quickly and easily. Special arrangements for registration at doctors practices are made during Week One at the beginning of the trimester and you are strongly advised to register then. Full-time overseas students who become ill after arrival in the UK may obtain National Health Service treatment without charge, provided they are registered on a recognised course. However, there is a charge (currently approximately 7) for each item of medicine that a doctor prescribes.


Please be aware that you will have to pay for dental treatment and visits to an opticians. Important points: emember to bring with you a R supply of any regular medication you are taking. lease be aware that services P provided under the National Health Service may vary from the healthcare system in your own country.

streets as well as in some of the larger supermarkets. In addition to the ordinary mailing service, the Post Office offers a banking service called Girobank and it is possible to pay some bills (such as telephone, water, gas or electricity) through the Post Office even if you do not have an account with them. There may be a small charge for this service. You can also buy postal orders or overseas money orders to send in the mail. In addition, you can order foreign currency/travellers cheques (no commission is charged) and transfer money electronically through the Post Office.

Staying in contact
Postal services Most Post Offices are open from 9am 5.30pm Monday to Friday and 9am 12.30pm on Saturday, although some small offices may have more limited hours. Mail sent to destinations in the UK can be sent either first or second class. The cost varies according to the size of the envelope. First class mail is generally delivered the following day; second class can take longer. You can buy stamps from the post office or from a stamp machine and also from many shops including supermarkets and newsagents. You can also buy them from Reception at Merchiston or Craiglockhart Campus. Mail can be posted at the Post Office or in the red post boxes on the street - these show the collection times on the front. They are quite common and can be found on most main

Telephone services

Telephone services are provided through a number of public companies including British Telecom (BT) and Virgin Media. There are public payphones available on our campuses and throughout the city. Remember that making telephone calls, particularly long distance, can be expensive. Depending on the telephone company, telephone calls to British numbers are usually cheapest between 6pm and 8am and at the weekends. If youre considering living in the private sector then you should carefully consider the options before signing up with a telephone service provider as companies offer different packages.


International direct dialling You can dial direct to over 180 countries from the UK. There may be cheap rate periods for direct dialled calls to Europe and North America but this will depend on the telephone company (usually between 6pm and 8am every day). To dial overseas you will need to dial: 00 + country code + area code (minus initial 0 or 9) + local number. Country codes and area codes are listed in telephone directories or on the website for International Directory Enquiries: www.bt.com/international-guide Phone calls within the UK All landline numbers in the UK have an area code starting with a 0, and then a local number. For local calls within your own area, you can omit the area code. For example, Edinburghs code is +44 (0) 131. Omit the +44 (0) 131 when calling from a landline inside the area but dial it when calling from outside the Edinburgh area. All mobile phone numbers in the UK begin with 07. Transfer costs and reversed charges It is possible to transfer the cost of a phone call so that the person you are phoning pays for the call. Dial 155 for the UK International Operator and ask for a reversed charge call. The person you are calling will be asked if they accept the charge. This should be avoided as it is an expensive option.

Mobile phones (cellphones) There are 45 million active mobile phones in the UK and you may prefer to have one instead of a landline (fixed telephone line) to your accommodation. There are several different companies and different handsets and SIM cards that you can buy. You should be very careful about making international phone calls from your mobile as costs can be very high. If you already have a mobile, you may be able to use it quite cheaply in the UK check with your local service provider before you come to Edinburgh. There are two types of mobile phone usually available in Britain: ay As You Go you pay a fixed rate P for the handset and SIM card and then pay for calls as you make them. You will need to top-up your mobile with extra money which can be done from most supermarkets, Post Offices and newsagents. This means you can keep control of your spending more easily however, call costs can be more expensive. ontract Phones you pay a C monthly rental cost, with various tariff bonuses (sometimes including free minutes). The handset is usually free and the amount you spend on your phone is debited from your bank account every month. The contract periods are usually for a minimum of 12-18 months so it can sometimes be hard for international students to get contract phones.

If you want to buy a phone, get advice from independent stockists on the best deal for you. There are a number of shops in the city centre including Carphone Warehouse, The Link and Phones4You which are not allied to any particular company or tariff. Once you have bought a phone you should also register it to prevent fraudulent use. You can do this by calling: 08701 123 123 or online from: www.immobilise.com Phone cards Numerous phone cards (produced by private companies) are available in the UK offering cheap phone calls to overseas countries. You can get some good deals; however, you will need to consider all options carefully. We advise you to use the internet and search for international phonecards using Google or Yahoo. Some local shops also stock phone cards. Public payphones Dialling instructions can be found on most public payphones. Standard payphones accept 10p, 20p, 50p and 1 coins and some will allow you to insert a debit or credit card. These calls can be expensive, especially overseas, so it is best to get a phone card. Skype The cheapest way to stay in touch with family and friends at home is via Skype. Skype allows you to make voice calls over the internet either

free of charge or direct to landlines for a small charge. If you dont already have a Skype account then take the time to set up an account before you go and encourage your friends and family to do the same. www.skype.com Domestic and business listings If you want to find local information in your area, for example where your nearest optician might be or where you can buy parts for your computer you can call a directory enquiries service. There are a number of organisations which offer directory enquiries at different prices. The most popular are BTs 118 500 (or 188 505 for International Directory Enquiries), 118 118 or 118 247. These calls can be expensive however, and you can also look up similar information on the web at www.yell.co.uk and www.118500.com Useful numbers 100 UK operator assistance 155 International operator assistance 999 Emergency Services (Fire, Police, Ambulance, Coastguard) Internet & email As a student you will be given free access to the web and to email, although you should note that your accounts are only set up after you matriculate.


We hope youve found this pack useful and that it contains all the information you need. If youd like more information about your first day or week please let us know. Tel: Email: Web: +44 (0) 8452 60 60 40 induction@napier.ac.uk www.napier.ac.uk/welcome

Admissions & International Support Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 4701 Email: internationalsupport@napier.ac.uk studyabroad@napier.ac.uk Web: www.napier.ac.uk/international

Other Useful Contacts

Accommodation Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 3713 Web: www.napier.ac.uk/accommodation Admissions Tel: +44 (0) 8455 20 30 50 Email: ugadmissions@napier.ac.uk (undergraduate) pgadmissions@napier.ac.uk (postgraduate) Disability & Inclusion Team Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 2929 Email: support@napier.ac.uk Napier Students Association Tel: +44 (0) 131 229 8791 Web: www.napierstudents.com Student Funding Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 2929 Email: studentfunding@napier.ac.uk Student Cards Email: idcards@napier.ac.uk


Tuition Fees Tel: +44 (0) 131 455 6120 Email: fees@napier.ac.uk Another good source of advice for international students can be found on the UK Council of International Student Affairs website including information on travelling to the UK and working in the UK during your studies: UKCISA Web: www.ukcisa.org.uk

Some important dates

Trimester 1 Assessment weeks Christmas Break Inter-trimester week Trimester 2 Assessment weeks Easter break Inter-trimester week Trimester 3 Assessment weeks

5 September 17 December 2011 5 16 December 2011 19 December 2011 6 January 2012 9 13 January 2012 16 January 12 May 2012 30 April 11 May 2012 9 April 20 April 2012 14 18 May 2012 21 May 1 September 2012 20 31 August 2012

*Please note that trimester 3 is generally only for postgraduate students who will stay and study to complete their dissertation. For undergraduate students (other than those studying Nursing & Midwifery), this is the summer vacation.


Social Networking
Edinburgh Napier University is now on both Facebook and Twitter. If you want to find out more information about Edinburgh Napier University, get to know other prospective students and make new friends before youve even arrived, please follow the links below! Find us on Facebook by searching for Edinburgh Napier International.

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/EdinburghNapier

This publication is also available online and in alternative formats, such as audio, large print or Braille please call: 08452 60 60 40, visit: www.napier.ac.uk/welcome or email: info@napier.ac.uk Produced by Corporate Affairs, June 2011. Job ref. 1548
Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish Charity. Reg. No. SC018373


This publication is also available online and in alternative formats, such as audio, large print or Braille For more information please call: 08452 60 60 40, visit: www.napier.ac.uk/welcome or email: info@napier.ac.uk

Produced by Corporate Affairs, June 2010. Job ref. 1351 Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish Charity. Reg. No. SC018373