Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 4

I.

Title Extraction of Caffeine from Instant Coffee Lori Booth February 15th, 2012

II.

Introduction Experiment # 4 allowed us to remove the caffeine from instant coffee and successfully isolate it from the liquefied coffee remains after being extracted by DCM. The caffeine was then reformed with the use of 2-propanol allowing the caffeine to crystalize after isolation and baked in the oven to form a sample to allow us to measure it on the IR to measure and compare to the data already in the program to see if we did indeed reform the isolated caffeine. We also recorded the melting point of the solid substance in order to compare our data collected and to insure that we indeed were dealing with relatively pure caffeine.

III.

Materials Instant Coffee 50 ml beaker Sodium carbonate Purified water Stirring rod Analytical balance 2- 15 ml centrifuge tubes DCM Centrifuge Sodium Sulfate Boiling stones

Sand bath Warmer 2-propanol Beaker Clamp Thermometer Ice water bath Hirsch vacuum Oven Watch glass Filter paper Tweezers IR Spectrometer Fischer Johns Mp apparatus IV. Methods I first weighed out 4 grams of instant coffee into a 50 ml beaker and added 2 grams of sodium bicarbonate and 15 mls of purified water. While stirring the beaker I noticed that it had a rancid smell to it. I used 2 centrifuge tubes and split the mixture between the two and put 3 mls of DCM into each tube. I shook them relatively violently and then centrifuged the vials for approx. 3 minutes each. I then syphoned off the DCM layer into the 50 ml beaker and started over adding the 3 mls of DCM and shaking the mixtures to separate the coffee mixture from the DCM. Placed that sample into the beaker with the other and added sodium sulfate to dissolve as much of the brown coffee liquid as possible. I transferred the remaining solution to a clean beaker and added boiling stones, and used a sand bath to slowly boil the solution to form a residue of the crude caffeine on the bottom of the beaker. We then

started the recrystallization process and had to add 1 ml of 2-propanol for every .025 g of crude product. I then heated the propanol and solid product to 80 degrees stirring with a glass rod until all of the solids were again dissolved into the 2-propanol. After it all dissolved, I put the product into a water bath and let it sit for 10 minutes while I got the Hirsh vacuum ready for use. I weighed out the watch glass and filter paper and hunted down an unused filter vile to use. I wet my paper and filtered the solids and washed them with alcohol and allowed the vacuum to rum for 2 minutes. I put them in the oven and waited on the sample to dry. After the oven dried the sample I again weighed it and collected a couple of samples to get the data needed for the IR reading and the melting point readings to determine if in fact the experiment was successful. V. Data See Table 1 VI. Results and discussion When working through the steps of the procedure I took down weights of initial samples and of beakers and watch glasses. When initially weighing the 50 ml beaker used to boil off the DCM to form the crude caffeine I collected the weight of 30.087 g. After I reweighed the beaker after boiling I got the weight to be 30.212 g. For a weight of 0.125 g collected after evaporation. I believe this data to be correct and accurate with only slight variances because of slight experimental error. After I started to recrystallize the caffeine from the crude caffeine I weighed the watch glass that held the reformed crystal to be 46.070 g and the dried recovered product to be 46.2803 g. I recorded the melting point range from 210220 degrees. I believe this to be slightly lower than the recorded melting point of caffeine at 238 degrees. I assume the crystal could have been still a little damp and not completely reformed to a solid crystal because time was beginning to become a factor. We did recover a final weight of .2103 g for the purified caffeine. At the end I teamed up with a guy in my class and we did the IR together from his sample because we ran out of time. His crystals were matched to the caffeine sample searched in the

TCC database so the results were accurate and we were successful in reforming the crystals of the caffeine. VII. Conclusion This experiment was the most accurate in results from the previous 5 experiments as far as the data collected actually led us to more accurate results as to where we were trying to get in out hypothesis. The sodium carbonate allowed us to form a caffeine salt to be measured formed and diluted, in order to measure the density and record the melting point and IR of the samples after running them through the procedures. We were successful in our experiment and have to say that this was my favorite lab so far and taking the caffeine out of coffee really was interesting. VIII. Graphs Attached IX. References Lab Manual IR graph is of classmates sample