Вы находитесь на странице: 1из 15

Literacy Training Service

The National Teachers College is a premier education institution that develops top-level
manpower skills. It seeks to further its philosophy, mission and vision by imparting to its
graduates a high degree of competence in their chosen career, and in their quest for the
required specialized knowledge, training and professional preparation for national and
international endeavours. In this age of convergence, NTC helps graduates excel in a just &
equitable world, armed with wisdom, excellence, relevance, access and effectiveness in the
attainment of national productivity and world-class competitiveness. All courses are
information-technology enhanced with a wide variety of specialization for personal and
professional growth.
Philosophy
The National Teachers
College believes in
democratic education for
individual responsibility
and social competence.
Vision
The National Teachers
College envisions itself as
a leading academic
institution for the
development of all levels
of education anchored on
the ideals of Excellence,
Relevance, Access, and
Effectiveness geared
towards national
productivity and world-
class competitiveness.
Mission
The avowed mission
of THE NATIONAL
TEACHERS COLLEGE is to
provide leaders and
innovators in the
academe and industries
who are equipped,
responsible, and
competent individuals to
contribute to national and
international endeavors.
Objectives
1. To provide educators and
personnel in the industries
who are socially efficient and
responsive to the needs of the
Republic of the Philippines
within the framework of
international standards; and
2. To provide students with
working understanding of the
nature and meaning of
democracy, of the changing
social milieu in which they are
expected to work and live, the
nature of the Filipino and his
culture, and his
responsibilities to the people
of the region to which he
belongs and the world at
large.
CORE Values
1. Nationalism
2. Trustworthiness
3. Commitment to
Excellence
4. Respect for the
Individual
5. Dedication to Service
Awit ng NTC
Kami ay mangaglalakbay Tanging ilaw
Tanging paaralan Na taglay mo’y ikakalat
Taglay namin ang ‘yong ngalan Nang ang langit
Liwanang sa kadiliman Sa silanga’y lumiwanag

Ang diwa mo’y nabubuhay Kahit saan kami mapapunta


Sa dibdib ng kababayan Ilaw namin ang iyong alaala
At ang aming kalayaa’y Ang tanglaw mo ay panghawi sa dusa
Mananatiling may tanglaw. Sa Silangan ay pag-asa ka.
In the Beginning
The National Teachers College was founded by the late Dr. Segundo M. Infantado Sr. and Dr. Flora
Amoranto- Ylagan. Officially incorporated on September 29, 1928 in accordance with Republic
Act No. 1459 as amended, The National Teachers College was authorized by the Department of
Public Instruction on April 17, 1929 to operate as an educational institution. Its doors opened to
the student public on the following June 10, and it was granted government recognition on
February 17, 1930.It was the first of its kind to be permitted by the government to operate a
complete General Course in Education leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education,
a complete Preparatory Course leading to the title of Associate in Arts, and complete courses in
General High School, Commercial High School and High School in Home Economics all at once
during the first year. All these courses were permitted to be offered in the morning and evening
which was never done in other schools before the establishment of this College. The College also
holds the distinction of being the first to be authorized to offer General Secondary classes for
teachers during the long vacation of 1930 before it was granted its final recognition by the
government.
The Force is Awakening
The College started with seventy-six students only. The subjects offered were varied: twenty-
three different kinds with six duplicated to suit the convenience of students. But the organized
classes were only eight if we are to apply the present criterion of at least nineteen student’s
minimum enrolment for each organized class. The rest (15 special classes in all) had enrolments
ranging from one (two classes had each only one student) to fifteen. The classes were so few
that they were more than adequately housed in a two-storey nine-room building. This was
located on the corner of Mendiola and Legarda streets in Manila. The first faculty was small-
only sixteen members in all. But these were professionals of established reputation. Included
among them were the founders of the College, Dr. Segundo M. Infantado Sr. and Dr. Flora A.
Ylagan. In addition, the roster of professors listed such names as Federico Roa for Mathematics,
Dr. Francisco A. Lava for Political Science; Vicente Dizon for Arts; Dr. Antonio Isidro for Methods
and Techniques of Instruction; Aurelio Ramos for Curriculum Development; Dr. Mariano Icasiano
for School Hygiene; Rodolfo V. Flores for Psychology; and Josefa Reinoso for Household
Administration. This strong faculty helped to attract more students. Despite the disastrous
world-wide economic depression in 1929, the enrolment increased the following year.
Starting Over Again
The second world war interrupted the expansion program of the College and destroyed much of
the improvements it took years to build. The occupying Japanese Armed Forces purged the
Library of all books which dealt with Western Culture, especially those American in nature. They
destroyed the collection of specimens and greatly reduced the laboratory facilities. Liberation in
1945 brought about reorganization and renewed dedication of the College to the cause of
teacher education. When classes resumed at the opening of the school year in 1945, only a third
of the pre-war students were able to return. Yet the College served more than double the old
enrolment because its facilities were used in the evening without remuneration by the United
States Armed Forces for educational purposes. Thus, the NTC hewed closely to its avowed
purpose of serving the nation through education in general and teacher education in
particular. Through the years, the NTC has continually striven to keep abreast of educational
development here and abroad. It has always striven to make its program of training relevant to
the life of the nation, and the conditions prevailing among the people for whose welfare its
students are being trained. Therefore, the increased emphasis on science and communication
has impelled the College authorities to acquire an additional site. On this site was constructed
the Science building.
The Dawn of a New Era
To complete its building program and to enclose the entire building block for the security of the students, the
Board of Trustees decided to put up two additional halls in place of the old college building. The latter was
demolished to make way for the Ylagan Hall and the Infantado Hall. At present, the NTC has several modern
buildings. These include the IT Buildings, the structured Library Building and the Rizal Building which houses the
food laboratories in the site opposite the DSWD. A new building is being constructed in the acquired lot across
the Science Building. Added to all these may be mentioned the periodic revisions and enrichment of the
curriculum of general and professional education and the improvement of the methods and technology in
instruction. The College has moved several steps forward by including new courses from the Kindergarten to the
Doctoral levels. It would be worth noting that the NTC was the first to offer a three-unit course in Contemporary
Philippine Literature in English. It was a required course for BSE and AB students majoring in English in 1946. The
College was also the first to offer Research Course in Contemporary Philippine Literature in English in the
Graduate Division in 1949. The College, too, was the first to teach Rizal’s Life and Works in Filipino. Time was
when Proficiency Courses supplemented the preparations for major subjects, a standard among those offered by
similar institutions of higher learning. NTC has been actively involved in community service or non-formal
education since 1948 and the first institution in the Philippine educational system that has a PTA in the tertiary
level since 1972. It was also chosen as a Population Education Pilot School in Metro Manila in 1974. To meet the
demands of the changing times, the College offered the One-Year General Clerical Course in 1959, which gave rise
to the Two-Year Junior Secretarial Course in 1977. Likewise, catering to secondary school graduates with technical
inclinations, a Community College for the Food Technician course was opened in 1977.
Soaring Towards Greater Heights
NTC has grown steadily. Among private educational institutions in the Philippines, it has attained in its
own right, through years of performance, a pre-eminent place in educational leadership, particularly
in the field of teacher education. The College was awarded a Plaque of Recognition on September 12,
1984, by the DECS for its invaluable service to the country as a private institution of learning and in
ensuring a strong partnership in education between the government and the private sector. The
Education Program of the College has been accredited and is classified under Level III as of July 10,
1987, by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities- Commission on Accreditation (PACU-
COA). Now, the program is in the Level III reaccredited status. Other programs, the Bachelor of
Science in Office Administration, the Master of Arts in Education and the Doctor of Education,
likewise have been accredited Level I. To give new meaning and significance to the preparation of
kindergarten, elementary, secondary and college teachers, as well as administrators, supervisors and
other specialists in education, a five-year course, Bachelor of Elementary and Secondary Education
(BESED) was opened in 1988. Responding to the challenge of bringing technology into the classrooms,
computer education enriched the General Education curriculum and a new major in Computer
Education was added in the BSED. In consortium with Information Professionals, Inc. (IPI) installation
of computer laboratories in all levels was made and faculty training in technology integration became
the major infrastructure and human resource developments, respectively.
New Breed of Professionals
Gearing toward industrialization and developing professionals for national productivity and global
competitiveness, clerical and secretarial courses have been enriched, revised and ladderized in 1992, leading to a
Four-Year Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Administration (BSSA) major in Computer Secretarial Education. The
course is now called Bachelor of Science in Office Administration. In 1993, a ladderized Four-Year Hotel and
Restaurant Management course was opened which aimed at providing education and training that would meet
the needs of the industry for entrepreneurs, entry level jobs as well as for managers, supervisors, trainers and
educators. In 2004, the College started offering TESDA Programs. The two-year programs: Food Service
Management (FSM), Computerized Office Management (COM) and Medical Office Assistantship (MOA) have been
offered up to 2011. Now, TESDA Programs, Bread and Pastry Production NC II and Food and Beverage Service NC
II, Two year Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Services; Housekeeping NC II and Bartending NC II are being
offered. These programs are offered in response to the need to develop skilled manpower in a shorter span of
time. The Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) has replaced the Library Science major of BSE and
BEED in 2007. This has paved the way to making the major a straight program In 2009, Bachelor of Science in
Tourism (BST), Bachelor of Science in Travel Management (BSTrM) and Bachelor of Science in Business
Administration (BSBA) were opened to meet the needs of the corporate world. To continue expanding the
services of The National Teachers College and to meet the demands of the times, permit was granted for NTC to
offer Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT) and Bachelor of Science in Psychology on June 2011
and Bachelor of Science in Accountancy in 2012.
A Force to be Reckoned With
In April 30, 2018, AC Education, Inc. (AEI or AC Edcuation), the wholly-owned education arm of
Ayala Corporation, assumed ownership of approximately 96% of the outstanding voting shares
of NTC. AEI was selected by the NTC Board and its shareholders through a competitive bid
process.
Today, NTC continues to perform its share in educating and training teachers, administrators,
supervisors, and other professionals who will serve in the interest of the Republic of the
Philippines and the world at large.